PS1000 - comparison to HD800 and JH13?
Jul 12, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #61 of 108

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really another league than HD800.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and if that's the sound you like more power to you, but you're among only a handful of people that feel that way. I personally hate Grados and would never own a pair, not even if you offered me the PS1000 for a $100 (well, maybe to resell them
smily_headphones1.gif
). Out of all of the Grados, I think the HF2 is the only one that sounds decent enough to listen to.

The AKG K1000 are very nice headphones and I wouldn't mind having a pair. But I do not believe they outclass the HD800.

I totally agree with you, IPodPJ, compared with a (properly amped) HD800, every Grado sounds like rubbish. For badly recorded rock and some other recordings a few Grados are awesome and offer a special sound experience. Therefore I own some. That's no shame. But for all the other kinds of (well recorded) music, there are many many other headphones on the market that surpass GS1000, PS1000, RS1, RS2 easily. And when I think about what Grado phones cost here in Europe, I just could laugh and cry at the same time... absolutely ridiculously overpriced!!! That's my opinion and I really don't want to affront someone of you who like Grado headphones. For me they are clearly behind phones by many other companies and can only shine in a very few cases.

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #63 of 108
Audio-Omega asked:-

Quote:

What are those headphones that surpass Grado ? 

How about
Sennheiser HE90, HE60, HD800,
Beyerdynamic T1
AKG K1000
Sony Qualia 010, MDR R10
Audio Technica W5000, L3000, W2002
Stax 404LE, Omega - all of them,
Precide Ergo AMT.
HE Audio Jade
Audeze LCD-2
JH13

to name just a few......

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #67 of 108

Quote:
Audio-Omega asked:-

How about
Beyerdynamic T1
AKG K1000
Sony Qualia 010, MDR R10
Precide Ergo AMT.
HE Audio Jade
Audeze LCD-2
JH13

to name just a few......

I have a HD 800 sitting next to my amp, I just sold my K 1000 and my PS 1000 is plugged into my amp...
deadhorse.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #68 of 108

I've heard re-cabled 600's and 650's and could clearly hear the benefits. Not having heard the 800's yet, would it not also benefit with recabling? I'm not trying to stir the pot here but I see people saying anemic bass, harsh highs, sterile/souless sound. Hasn't anyone been able to mitigate some of these sound qualities with a re-cable? I really can't listen to my 650's anymore and would love to have a dynamic counterpart to my HE90 rig that does not break the bank. Gary

Not sure if your question is still up to date (since it's dated from 3/20/10). – Does it have to be a cable? Or is it o.k. if the goal is achieved by something else that costs virtually nothing and addresses the issue at the source?

Here's the method which has provided me with all the sonic corrections necessary for the HD 800 to sound as good as I want it to. It even offers some room for frequency-balance fine-tuning, so finding an amp with optimal synergy is much easier and most likely much cheaper. BTW, I use an aftermarket cable nonetheless: The correction at the source allows the use of the cable which I think is one of those with the least signal losses: the Silver Dragon. However, the stock cable isn't bad at all in my book.

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #69 of 108
markmaxx posted:-

Quote:
 I have a HD 800 sitting next to my amp, I just sold my K 1000 and my PS 1000 is plugged into my amp...

That's funny - I still have both my K1000's and Grado PS1000 and my HD800 is plugged into my amp.

Just goes to show that we all hear things differently.

BTW, my nephew spent about 4 hours comparing my phones and came up with the HE60 and Stax 404 limited playing through a Stax SRD7 as his favourites.

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #70 of 108
That's my point, one headphone is not better than the other...

Quote:
markmaxx posted:-

That's funny - I still have both my K1000's and Grado PS1000 and my HD800 is plugged into my amp.

Just goes to show that we all hear things differently.

BTW, my nephew spent about 4 hours comparing my phones and came up with the HE60 and Stax 404 limited playing through a Stax SRD7 as his favourites.

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #71 of 108
markmaxx posted:

Quote:
 That's my point, one headphone is not better than the other...

They are as far as the listener is concerned.........

They also say that puppy-love is not real love - but it is to the puppy......

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #72 of 108
well said ...
to each their own - according to their musical tastes, interests, budget and system ...

Cheers to music that toucches your heart ...

I own PS1000 - after I got it back from Grado with driver replacement ... everyone who heard was wowed! I still think it has too much bass or mid bass and a bit out of control ... for some the same sound signature would be so pleasing ... sure it provides more detail than any other phone I have heard ...

I do not know why people like Omegas so much - perhaps becuase they are really smooth and the ear cups are luxurious leather and hopefully they have non-stax amp ....

I have heard HD800 and I was super impressed by them ... I could even consider a trade with my PS1000 ... just beacaue my previous reference was recabled AKG701 ...and I still have them ... people used to say akg's are hard to drive ... I say they are so easy to drive compared to the new references from Grado, Senn or Head-direct ...

I do dream about JH13 though ... if JH13 gives me 95% of any of these phones - I'll get on-board with it ... :)

So in the end it is about preferences ... some like blue and some like red - it does not make one color better than the other ... for that matter some like white and others black :wink:

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #73 of 108
Wink is the one with the list of headphones that are better than Grado's. I stated he was beating a dead horse because there is no "better than" list for everyone.

Quote...
Audio-Omega..."What are those headphones that surpass Grado ?" 

Wink...How about
Beyerdynamic T1
AKG K1000
Sony Qualia 010, MDR R10
Precide Ergo AMT.
HE Audio Jade
Audeze LCD-2
JH13

to name just a few...... end quote..

I tamed the PS 1000 mid bass,,on my Balancing Act,, by rolling out a Tung Sol 6SN7GT round plate for a Sylvania 6SN7GTA still colored but man are they fun!

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #74 of 108
I haven't had the pleasure of hearing a pair of PS1000s.  So I can only reply in a limited fashion.  I did get to spend some time with the HD800s though, and I loved them for all of the reasons they're popular with their fans.  I do consider them better all around headphones than the K1000s, due to having vastly superior bass extension.  But they don't do anything else quite as well, which ultimately had me reaching back for my K1000s.  The JH-13s, on the other hand, edge out both in just about every way but sound stage size.  They're a bit faster, and more accurate from top to bottom.    

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #75 of 108
Hi nnotis,

That is a huge statement ...
I have read only good things about JH-13 ... favorably being compared them to the best over the head phones ...

If JH13 can replace all my cans -- that would be a game changer for me!

Cheers
Quote:
 The JH-13s, on the other hand, edge out both in just about every way but sound stage size.  They're a bit faster, and more accurate from top to bottom.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back