PS Audio Sprout Impressions
Aug 23, 2015 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

JoshMo

100+ Head-Fier
I searched everywhere and haven't seen this thread out there. I know this product had a lot of initial buzz through Kickstarter, but I haven't seen any longer term reviews or impressions from the community. I think this product is getting a second life as a easy to use DAC/amp/Headphone amp now that the price seems to be dropping and it is popping up on Massdrop regularly. 

Can anyone comment of the sound quality of the DAC and Headphone amp? How does this compare with some of the other set ups that you've used (Magni/Modi Schiit Stack, portable combos, etc). Any favorite headphones or speakers that you've paired it with? Any concerns or shortcomings of PS Audio's lower end introductory product?

Looking forward to what everyone thinks.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 18
Well that first post flopped. 

So I went ahead and purchased the sprout anyway, right price, right set of features. Setup couldnt have been easier with a quick download from PS Audio's website. After feeding it a steady diet of 24 bit flac files, I have determined that I love the Dual Wolfson DACs. I know this sound is a bit colored from a true neutral sound, but it works very well for me. I am stepping up from a Audio Engine D1 which lacks the clarity and body to make my HD650's really live up to their potential. The solid state amp seems to have enough power across most of frequency range to satisfy my needs and certainly blows the D1 out of the water. There seems to be a bit missing from the low end, but all the way from the upper bass to the top end sounds lush. I find myself getting lost in my favorite songs.

As for the speaker output - cant complain. I am using this for my computer setup where I do a bulk of my listening. I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkens CDM2 SE speakers that I got cheap off from Ebay. Again, low end is lacking, but this is likely as much the speakers fault, will have to add a sub down the road.  

I plan on bringing my Sprout to a local meet so I can see what some others think. I am interested to see how it sounds up against a decent DAC/Amp combo to see how it stacks up. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 18
Well reporting in after a couple months of use. I rarely use the sprout anymore, mostly just to run my B&W speakers. I found the Wolfson WM8524 (certainly not in the WM8740 / 8741 quality level) to lack clarity, and frankly sounds a bit muddy to me through my HD650's. While this was certainly a step up from the Audio Engine D1, the more I read, just about anything is a step up from the Audio Engine D1. The headphone amp was fairly forgettable, did the job, didn't add much coloration to the sound

This was certainly a fun setup, and I never properly tested the bluetooth connectivity or "vinyl" input, but I moved onto a setup I am much happier with. I think this small integrated amp was really intended for someone getting into hifi with a easy to use interface and a couple of basic easy to use inputs and outputs. Excellent build quality, excellent looks, and again fun. Probably not ideal for enthusiasts that frequent HeadFi expecting something that could compete in the DAC/Amp combo market, but again those don't offer speaker outputs either.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 18
  Well reporting in after a couple months of use. I rarely use the sprout anymore, mostly just to run my B&W speakers. I found the Wolfson WM8524 (certainly not in the WM8740 / 8741 quality level) to lack clarity, and frankly sounds a bit muddy to me through my HD650's. While this was certainly a step up from the Audio Engine D1, the more I read, just about anything is a step up from the Audio Engine D1. The headphone amp was fairly forgettable, did the job, didn't add much coloration to the sound

This was certainly a fun setup, and I never properly tested the bluetooth connectivity or "vinyl" input, but I moved onto a setup I am much happier with. I think this small integrated amp was really intended for someone getting into hifi with a easy to use interface and a couple of basic easy to use inputs and outputs. Excellent build quality, excellent looks, and again fun. Probably not ideal for enthusiasts that frequent HeadFi expecting something that could compete in the DAC/Amp combo market, but again those don't offer speaker outputs either.

What is your preferred setup now?

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 18
I am using a Bottlehead Crack (rolled tubes, speedball upgrade) amp with the Bifrost Multibit DAC. I find this setup to be audio nirvana and a system that way out performs its cost, but total cost is twice the price of the Sprout, multiple pieces of equipment that take up more space, and I lost speaker outputs, bluetooth, phono pre-amp etc.

The sprout certainly fits a niche, and I liked the options that it gave me when I purchased it, but outgrew the sound as I was really looking for a DAC/AMP, and thought it would be cool to power speakers as well.

I would still recommend this to someone looking for a basic integrated amp with headphone amp, dac, bluetooth, speaker outputs, phono pre amp. Hooking this up to decent speakers and a laptop gives you a killer setup with a few connectivity options.

I would not recommend this to someone looking for a high end DAC / headphone amp combo (likely most people on this site). 

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 18
From the reviews I've read, it seems the only reason it's getting any good reviews, is the PS audio name plate. The one I heard, sounded like Mud, and lacking bass slam.

Good for PS for applying the correct marketing to draw in the tin eared hipster. Should sell well in that market. Maybe a combo kit with some Beats headphones would work.

There plenty of solutions out of China(lacking the PS nameplate) that will offer the same for under $300.(IMO).
smile.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 18
I agree - I sold mine months ago, at a decent loss. Its a jack of all trades, but not even close to mastering any of them. They have already dropped MSRP significantly - $800 to $500 and you can often find new ones for less. 

They were obviously trying to capitalize on the re-emergance of the turntable trend, but that is one of the places where it fell flat. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 18
  I agree - I sold mine months ago, at a decent loss. Its a jack of all trades, but not even close to mastering any of them. They have already dropped MSRP significantly - $800 to $500 and you can often find new ones for less. 

They were obviously trying to capitalize on the re-emergance of the turntable trend, but that is one of the places where it fell flat. 

PS Audio does not know what they are doing. I had their Directstream DAC before (also sold at huge losses), that thing is borderline snake oil.

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 18
  PS Audio does not know what they are doing. I had their Directstream DAC before (also sold at huge losses), that thing is borderline snake oil.

I had a friend named Stan, he was the S in PS. He told me they had conflict of interest, as Stan was all about making low cost Hi-End audio for the masses, but Paul was more concerned about making money, and not so much about making the best sound quality gear for the money. It would seem after 30 years very little has changed.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 18

I had a friend named Stan, he was the S in PS. He told me they had conflict of interest, as Stan was all about making low cost Hi-End audio for the masses, but Paul was more concerned about making money, and not so much about making the best sound quality gear for the money. It would seem after 30 years very little has changed.

At one point I was like, how is PS Audio's business model even legal. Then I realized the entire audiophile industry is like that. Paid reviews work, they really do... Then I found pro audio gears and I never looked back. I do feel somewhat sorry for the poor guy that I sold the DAC to though.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 18
  Sprout is down to $420 on massdrop bazaar....ouch

Try the TASCAM UH-7000, it can be had for $300 used and it sounds better than the Directstream DAC at $3000. Sounds the same at high volumes as the Metrum Pavane at $4000, at low volume the Metrum sound better. It destroys the Emotiva DC-1 at $400...

Nowadays I'll never buy another DAC for more than $500.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back