PS Audio Sprout Impressions
Apr 9, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #16 of 18
  Well that first post flopped. 

So I went ahead and purchased the sprout anyway, right price, right set of features. Setup couldnt have been easier with a quick download from PS Audio's website. After feeding it a steady diet of 24 bit flac files, I have determined that I love the Dual Wolfson DACs. I know this sound is a bit colored from a true neutral sound, but it works very well for me. I am stepping up from a Audio Engine D1 which lacks the clarity and body to make my HD650's really live up to their potential. The solid state amp seems to have enough power across most of frequency range to satisfy my needs and certainly blows the D1 out of the water. There seems to be a bit missing from the low end, but all the way from the upper bass to the top end sounds lush. I find myself getting lost in my favorite songs.

As for the speaker output - cant complain. I am using this for my computer setup where I do a bulk of my listening. I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkens CDM2 SE speakers that I got cheap off from Ebay. Again, low end is lacking, but this is likely as much the speakers fault, will have to add a sub down the road.  

I plan on bringing my Sprout to a local meet so I can see what some others think. I am interested to see how it sounds up against a decent DAC/Amp combo to see how it stacks up. 

The Sprout is just as competitive as the very popular Schiit Jotenheim which I also purchased. Both are very nice amps with different capabilities; one has speaker outs and the latter has a pre-amp section. Both headphone amp sections are really good for the money.  They are priced the same with dac section on the Jotenheim.  It depends on what you need; speaker outs or a pre-amp section. Pretty good deal.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #18 of 18
Very odd to see these comments about PS Audio DIrect Stream it is one of the best reviewed products and won product of the year. Its build quality is impressive, is easily upgradable with its FPGA. Maybe there were issues years ago but now PS Audio is a wonderful company and has a dedicated following.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back