PS-1's on ebay for $3345. lol.
Jun 13, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #20 of 50
There is nothing spectacular on PS1 if I compare it to GS1000. They are more collectable item than something you may enjoy daily, imo. Their price tag isn't something to be happy about it either. Please tell me, based on sound only, what the hell for? A lot of good and what most important cheaper alternatives up there to enjoy the music and do not think of the fact that PS1 will died on you one day, even they build like a tank, they still just a headphones.
Do not get me wrong, I love them a lot, but not for USD 3500-4000, sorry... For that kind of money you can build the whole system, which you may keep forever. Used GS1000 goes for USD750 mostly and that's damn bargain, imo. And I am fairly doubt that John can or would make anything better than GS1000, because GS1000 is simply all the best Grado could offer, imo.
PS1 was an limited edition, so let it be for better or worse.

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #21 of 50
That's the great thing about opinions. Apparently there are approximately 200 people who think the PS1s ARE worth more than GS1000s
smily_headphones1.gif
. For my taste the GS1000s need to be played too loud to sound good, so aren't on my list of headphones I'd ever consider owning. The PS1s I enjoyed quite a bit, and might still own if I hadn't gotten my hf1s.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #22 of 50
That's what makes things more interesting to have some discussion about them. Otherwise it would be to damn boring
cool.gif

And I think there are more than 200 of them, cos I don't own them, as many others, but do love them for what they are.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the great thing about opinions. Apparently there are approximately 200 people who think the PS1s ARE worth more than GS1000s
smily_headphones1.gif
. For my taste the GS1000s need to be played too loud to sound good, so aren't on my list of headphones I'd ever consider owning. The PS1s I enjoyed quite a bit, and might still own if I hadn't gotten my hf1s.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #23 of 50
The only high end Grado I have own is a headphile HF-1 and I would have to say I loved the sound quality.

I could not imagine how much an improvement something 2,700 dollars more would bring? I cannot imagine a big improvement and could not justify that price for the improvement considering I do not have that much :p.

The law of diminishing returns
frown.gif

Anyway I realize it is a collectors item but how much of a difference would there really be? Just curious..

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what makes things more interesting to have some discussion about them. Otherwise it would be to damn boring
cool.gif

And I think there are more than 200 of them, cos I don't own them, as many others, but do love them for what they are.
biggrin.gif

Exactly.

I personally can't see a value in Headphones like that.

Don't get me wrong, I'de LOVE to hear a pair, but at the $4K range, no thanks...even if that money were disposable, that's just not quite the best consumerism. I understand exclusivity.

As far as the whole BMW thing, it was an analogy. There are TONS of nothing but high end retailers, but that was the easiest analogy given the fact they also sell "mass produced" cars. An easy one is Lamborghini, or Ferrari, or TVR. They sell handfuls of cars a year, and are still in a profitable business position. You don't need mass production to be successful. Many companies today pride themselves in low numbers due to hand craftsmanship and quality/exclusivity. There's no doubt in my mind a PS1 could be made for the same price as a 325i. Metal cups/machining it being the obvious reason I chose that as an example. Producing the driver can't be that much more (assuming) expensive...but as said, it's to bring exclusivity to some of the brand....

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #25 of 50
The pair I owned was without serial number on it, so there are more than 200 of them in circulation, I believe.
I do have some idea, which may be interesting, but I do not have funds to pull it through. So, when I win a lottery, I will call John and talk to him about it.
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my taste the GS1000s need to be played too loud to sound good, so aren't on my list of headphones I'd ever consider owning.

Wow, just wow.

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #30 of 50
What's wow about that? I like the way they sound when played loud, but they just don't sound good to me at my normal listening levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back