PS-1's on ebay for $3345. lol.
Jun 12, 2008 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

dcpoor

Headphoneus Supremus
Grado PS1 PS-1 Professional Series Headphones NOS - eBay (item 270245989173 end time Jun-19-08 10:33:56 PDT)

sigh. happy bidding. :p

edit: and lol at there not being any pics.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 50
There used to be THESE. Wonder what they went for? They were John's own set...

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 50
If something I had went for ridiculous money, I'd think hard about selling, too. Can't blame the guy.

I still think John Grado is making a mistake - there is demand for a HP-4 or a PS-2.

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still think John Grado is making a mistake - there is demand for a HP-4 or a PS-2.

Completely agree

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 50
Only by selling them you can get an idea to get them again, its all between your ears, nothing more, nothing less. I still remember to own them, man, but every time again I choose GS1000 above PS1. There is something that GS1000 have that PS1 never will. You may say the same about PS1, agree, but thats way different and less exceptional, imo.
I do hope that John doing this for recall his need for making another run, however who knows what his thoughts are...
cool.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 50
^ that is so true. I prefer the HP-2 to the PS-1, but they both have similar refinement. While they both do things better than the GS-1000, the GS gives life to the music like neither of them can IMHO.

Jun 12, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 50
There's still a lot of demand for headphones with sound signature more in the vein of hp/ps 's. I also think it's a mistake to only offer the GS1000 as top of the line grado.

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So do I!
All these PS-1's and HP1000's who sell for $2-4000 clearly indicate that there are a market for even higher-end Grado headphones.

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do I!
All these PS-1's and HP1000's who sell for $2-4000 clearly indicate that there are a market for even higher-end Grado headphones.

Not sure if just Grado or it's an extended demand for top tier dynamic cans. Just look at the prices the last R10 available on Audiogon sold for.

IMHO many of us are still looking for the "Holy grail" cans, or just have a lot of fun trying and judging the performance of what's supposed to be the very best. We tend to believe that something that's discontinued, expensive, hardly available, and has cult status should sound better than something still in production and purchasable at "sensible" prices, compared to those that PS-1, HP-2, R10, 010, L3000, etc reach. These cans seem to have more demand than the currently produced equivalents, but maybe it's just an illusion created for the excitement around any of these when they become available.

I wonder if currently produced cans like the GS-1000 or DX-1000 wouldn't reach that cult status when discontinued too. My point is that if Grado Labs is not producing PS-1 HP-1000 equivalents now, is probably because they don't think they have a real market big enough to make their production profitable.

Rgrds

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 50
Bah...it's to keep exclusivity to the brand. You don't think BMW could sell a ton more M3s? Please, give me a break. They could make nothing but M3's and still be a profitable business. This is one of the very few times where profits are NOT in the picture, but in the end, attribute to it.

When you mass produce something, it loses it's aura. Even if they mass produced it and kept it at it's current street value, the fact that it's not a limited run can, would make it loose it's attractiveness.

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 50
^ I don't get your point mate. The goal of a business is making money. Some products are statement ones and help to build a reputation. They could be profitable, but the low sales wouldn't make the company standing in the business for much time. They need mass produced, good and affordable products which sell a lot and make the company profitable and worth.

Grado, Sony, Audio Technica, AKG, Sennheiser already have a reputation and don't need statement products to make it grow. Other newer companies like Ultrasone are producing some statement product trying to build that same reputation. I mean that Grado doesn't really need to invest and take the risk of a sales failure making a new statement product.

I don't think BMW could stand as a company, the size and importance it is now, if they weren't selling thousands of 3xx cars. Producing the M3 and M5 in low quantities helps to keep the lower models selling a lot to people that believes they're getting a slice of the "status" the M3 carries.

I completely agree that a big factor of the apparent demand for top tier cans by Grado or any other company, is their low availability and high price, which contribute to make them kind of status symbols. Humans are like that, we keep wishing what we cannot have.

Rgrds

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #15 of 50
Even M3 sales/profit margins would begin to suffer if too many were produced. Supply & demand curves pretty much apply to any given product. Declination to a products worth and profit margins begin to suffer if too much of the same product is placed on the shelf and introduced into the population.

Example of a S & D curve below:

euro.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back