PS-1 vs. HP-1000
Sep 19, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #16 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Who knows what's going to happen to future prices? It's like trying to predict the California real estate market.

Then it's easy to predict. Minus some slight fluctuations short term, they'll be worth a fortune in the future.
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #17 of 75
These are two headphones I'm dying to hear. Need to get myself over to mulveling's place and check out his HP-2's. I guess I will have to wait till a National meet to hear the PS-1's, as I don't think anyone near Atlanta or Columbus owns any unfortunately. Oh well, but it is a good excuse to go visit California next year!

To actually respond to the post, I really hope they don't become too exorbitant soon. The HP-2's are about at the limit at what I could imagine spending just on phones. I really don't want to have to spend more than what they already go for. (unless I win the lottery...)

Aditya

Sep 19, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #18 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
LOL... thats not a watermark.

A very small number of PS1s were made using leftover parts from the Freehand systems wireless headphone. That headphone said "limited edition" on it. Most of the PS1s that used those left-over earcups were re-worked to remove that text, but not all of them were completely re-worked. So some PS1s have the standard PS1 text etched over a faint remnant ghost image of the freehand text.

this is correct
wink.gif
and I can say that because my pair used to have the same faint text left over on them!

Sep 19, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #20 of 75
I don't imagine they will go up too much more. There are other headphones like the L3000 that they would start to compete with. Not only that, but I think the more time goes by the more "used" and beat up the headphones get.

My goal is for my gear to get out of the way of the music. The HP-2's do that amazingly well. Very accurate - adding very little or nothing to the music. The PS-1's have artifial flavoring, but very enjoyeable non the less. So, my point is that now that I have the HP-2, I wouldn't even pay $1000 for the PS-1s.

That being said, the PS-1 and HP-1,2 both are in a different league then the other Grado's as far as refinement.

Sep 19, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #21 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
So, my point is that now that I have the HP-2, I wouldn't even pay $1000 for the PS-1s.

That being said, the PS-1 and HP-1,2 both are in a different league then the other Grado's as far as refinement.

This I completely agree with, especially on how you wouldn't buy another PS for 1K or more...after having/hearing the HP.. But again, it is sheer preferences that govern the decision for me, and those will inevitably be the same I imagine too, for the PS fans as well.

Sep 19, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #23 of 75
“Still, my gut feeling is that we will see a prime condition PS-1 sell for well over $2k in the next year or so.”

Trust me it’s already happened.

I recently offered a member $1650 for a pair of PS-1’s and he laughed at me.

The PS-1 is probably the rarest headphone ever made at 160 to 180 pairs worldwide. And remember they were originally intended for the German Pro market so the number of PS-1 headphones in consumer hands is far less than the full production run.

With the right amp there’s nothing that can compete with it. When heard with an amp that properly controls the bass all other cans seem lacking.

Consider the L3000 is worth over $2000 now? If that’s the competition the PS-1 will rise to the occasion.

The thing to consider is- as the PS-1’s get into peoples hand who like the sound and have the gear to support them- they will not change hands again.

I haven’t seen many PS-1’s offered for sale in the last year. So supply and demand combined with the lack of available units makes the PS-1 a Sellers market.

Remember 4 years ago when a pair of pristine HP1’s sold for $1500? The buyer made an offer the seller couldn’t refuse. It’ll take that kind of offer to get a pair of PS-1’s these days.

And lastly I sold my HP2’s for 2 reasons:
1- The PS-1’s sound better to me and are more enjoyable to me.
1- The PS-1’s have full factory warranty support. The HP2’s don’t and are practically un-repairable, if not they will be anytime soon.

Mitch

Sep 19, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #24 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
“Still, my gut feeling is that we will see a prime condition PS-1 sell for well over $2k in the next year or so.”

Trust me it’s already happened.

I recently offered a member $1650 for a pair of PS-1’s and he laughed at me.

The PS-1 is probably the rarest headphone ever made at 160 to 180 pairs worldwide. And remember they were originally intended for the German Pro market so the number of PS-1 headphones in consumer hands is far less than the full production run.

With the right amp there’s nothing that can compete with it. When heard with an amp that properly controls the bass all other cans seem lacking.

Consider the L3000 is worth over $2000 now? If that’s the competition the PS-1 will rise to the occasion.

The thing to consider is- as the PS-1’s get into peoples hand who like the sound and have the gear to support them- they will not change hands again.

I haven’t seen many PS-1’s offered for sale in the last year. So supply and demand combined with the lack of available units makes the PS-1 a Sellers market.

Remember 4 years ago when a pair of pristine HP1’s sold for $1500? The buyer made an offer the seller couldn’t refuse. It’ll take that kind of offer to get a pair of PS-1’s these days.

And lastly I sold my HP2’s for 2 reasons:
1- The PS-1’s sound better to me and are more enjoyable to me.
1- The PS-1’s have full factory warranty support. The HP2’s don’t and are practically un-repairable, if not they will be anytime soon.

Mitch

paragraphs are our friends
tongue.gif

just kidding..

I agree with what you said about the cans not changing possession and what not and is also true as well for the HP phones -they are both obnoxiously addictive and rich in smoothness. As for the PS-1's, many of the pairs are in professional sound via the German market, so look for these to become available too, in all conditions perhaps. The manufacturing and distribution process that drove the professional series is very unique and will surely add to the mystique, prestige, and overall collectors worth in the future too.

The Grado PS and GS seem to have very similar designs in the drivers, and are able to produce similar tonal responses with respect to their very different enclosure material, factory configuration, and of course differences in ear pads. Also think that the bass frequency on the HP-1/2 is very close in terms of the note distinction at the lower end..or marks near the mid-low band to the PS-1. This being said, for my ears the bass notes and their projection are more realistic and varying in the appropriate depth on the GS VS the PS/HP phone. The layering of bass that is displayed with tubes and flats with using HP-1/2 was a bit better for me than on the PS-1. However, the lushness and colored sound of the PS-1 makes for the sweetest MR among Grado phones, arguably. I think the sounds in the higher marks on the PS-1s are too polite and/or smoothed over in some respects VS the HP-1/2's effortless and more neutral presentation of the upper notes within the FR.

Some say dry or too sterile, but the presentation of the HP-1/2 and its layering capabilities with the MR to the lower marks, make this wonderful reference phone a vintage gem among audio enthusiasts/philes alike. I think it is safe to presume that the HP-1/2 and the PS-1 will be highly sought after for some time in the future..at least 'round these parts
cool.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #25 of 75
thank you to Braillediver. you made my current financial shenanigans seem less stoopid.

I loved my gs1k's, but missed the slam of the rs1's, so I managed to pull $350 together to buy the HF1's a week ago to fill the gap a bit. I really liked them. figured ok, when I can I'll get another rs1, but for now I can live happily with the hf1.

the next day I got an offer I couldn't refuse: a friend (actually his brother) had bought a pair of PS1's new in Germany and NEVER USED THEM. he's a stax guy, and he wants new skiis/boots. I was offered the pair at $1400 usd plus shipping. so in the last days I have sold a woo audio 3, my gs1000's and my daughter's k701's. (no, I would not have sold my daughter.) I gave her the choice and she LOVED the hf1's. she grew up on grado cans so I was pretty sure these would please her more than k701's - they did and they are hers!

I have "new" old PS1's coming this week.

I figure I can always add gs1k's if I feel the need down the line, but I may never have had the chance for PS1's again, and since I love that sound...

I'm so excited I couldn't fall asleep last night.

and to return to the thread point, i would have paid even more if i had to.

biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #26 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
thank you to Braillediver. you made my current financial shenanigans seem less stoopid.

I loved my gs1k's, but missed the slam of the rs1's, so I managed to pull $350 together to buy the HF1's a week ago to fill the gap a bit. I really liked them. figured ok, when I can I'll get another rs1, but for now I can live happily with the hf1.

the next day I got an offer I couldn't refuse: a friend (actually his brother) had bought a pair of PS1's new in Germany and NEVER USED THEM. he's a stax guy, and he wants new skiis/boots. I was offered the pair at $1400 usd plus shipping. so in the last days I have sold a woo audio 3, my gs1000's and my daughter's k701's. (no, I would not have sold my daughter.) I gave her the choice and she LOVED the hf1's. she grew up on grado cans so I was pretty sure these would please her more than k701's - they did and they are hers!

I have "new" old PS1's coming this week.

I figure I can always add gs1k's if I feel the need down the line, but I may never have had the chance for PS1's again, and since I love that sound...

I'm so excited I couldn't fall asleep last night.

and to return to the thread point, i would have paid even more if i had to.

biggrin.gif

what an awesome story..great to hear on your get! Yeah, recently myself I ran into a new in box pair from the German market, a friend yes..but they are out there..
biggrin.gif

Again, way to go
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #27 of 75
Indeed, analog'd's story is Head-fi at its best!

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #28 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Indeed, analog'd's story is Head-fi at its best!

yea. where else would i have had the info to even know what the PS1's were about, how they compare to others and so forth; and the ability to turn over equipment to raise the funds so quickly without ever worrying about having to deal with sharks. tis a fine forum indeed.

I thank everyone who works to make this possible, and everyone who participates too. we really are very lucky!

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #29 of 75
The PS1s future market value will be determined by HeadFi members .
Outside of Head Fi not to many people would even Know what they are.

My personal feeling is the PS1s will become worth way more then the HP
series do to the numbers produced/sound quality aside.

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #30 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
My personal feeling is the PS1s will become worth way more then the HP
series do to the numbers produced/sound quality aside.

i think that is a reasonable assumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back