PS-1 vs. HP-1000
Sep 19, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #31 of 75
I'll agree with what most have stated. PS-1's will become the most prized and sought after Grado ever (unless something ever more limited comes out). I believe Mitch is right on the money, the PS-1's are likely the rarest headphone every made (at least production versions). The HP-1000's are 9x more common and likely 20-30x more common on Head-fi. It is true that HP-3's are the "rarest" but since they are simply inferior HP-2's, it's not like folks are going to be running after HP-2's with drivers that are not as equally matched.

Though the L3000's are in the 2k region or beyond, they have a distinct sound as do the PS-1's. For those that really adore the PS-1 sound, 2k may seem like a bargain in a few years. As stated, those that have the cash and the gear to pair with them won't feel like $2k is too much.

I have sold off 4-5 pairs of HP-1000's since I started this hobby. The last pair was the hardest to sell but the cash was needed for a phono stage which for me was more important at the time. The PS-1's stayed. The PS-1's are simply far more fun and enjoyable to listen to vs. the HP-1000's and parts are easier to come by since John had enough materials to make 250. The HP-1000's are still king at attack, snap and wallop in the bass, and their linear frequency response is something to behold...but otherwise, I'd choose PS-1's, RS-1's or GS-1000's to listen to over them.

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #32 of 75
"“Still, my gut feeling is that we will see a prime condition PS-1 sell for well over $2k in the next year or so.”

Trust me it’s already happened."

I won't sell mine at any price!

- augustwest

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #33 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I'll agree with what most have stated. PS-1's will become the most prized and sought after Grado ever (unless something ever more limited comes out). I believe Mitch is right on the money, the PS-1's are likely the rarest headphone every made (at least production versions). The HP-1000's are 9x more common and likely 20-30x more common on Head-fi. It is true that HP-3's are the "rarest" but since they are simply inferior HP-2's, it's not like folks are going to be running after HP-2's with drivers that are not as equally matched.

Though the L3000's are in the 2k region or beyond, they have a distinct sound as do the PS-1's. For those that really adore the PS-1 sound, 2k may seem like a bargain in a few years. As stated, those that have the cash and the gear to pair with them won't feel like $2k is too much.

I have sold off 4-5 pairs of HP-1000's since I started this hobby. The last pair was the hardest to sell but the cash was needed for a phono stage which for me was more important at the time. The PS-1's stayed. The PS-1's are simply far more fun and enjoyable to listen to vs. the HP-1000's and parts are easier to come by since John had enough materials to make 250. The HP-1000's are still king at attack, snap and wallop in the bass, and their linear frequency response is something to behold...but otherwise, I'd choose PS-1's, RS-1's or GS-1000's to listen to over them.

A John fan
wink.gif

I was too until I heard Joe's masterpeice. Of course I like nothing added to my music. I guess that's why my 2 favorites are the K-1000 and HP-2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
Thank you to Braillediver. you made my current financial shenanigans seem less stoopid.

I loved my gs1k's, but missed the slam of the rs1's, so I managed to pull $350 together to buy the HF1's a week ago to fill the gap a bit. I really liked them. figured ok, when I can I'll get another rs1, but for now I can live happily with the hf1.

the next day I got an offer I couldn't refuse: a friend (actually his brother) had bought a pair of PS1's new in Germany and NEVER USED THEM. he's a stax guy, and he wants new skiis/boots. I was offered the pair at $1400 usd plus shipping. so in the last days I have sold a woo audio 3, my gs1000's and my daughter's k701's. (no, I would not have sold my daughter.) I gave her the choice and she LOVED the hf1's. she grew up on grado cans so I was pretty sure these would please her more than k701's - they did and they are hers!

I have "new" old PS1's coming this week.

I figure I can always add gs1k's if I feel the need down the line, but I may never have had the chance for PS1's again, and since I love that sound...

I'm so excited I couldn't fall asleep last night.

and to return to the thread point, i would have paid even more if i had to.

Nice grab. And in good condition. You WILL enjoy them!!

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #34 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
A John fan
wink.gif

I was too until I heard Joe's masterpeice. Of course I like nothing added to my music. I guess that's why my 2 favorites are the K-1000 and HP-2.

Yep, different strokes for different folks. If I had my way, I would own a pair of HP-1000's too. But at this time, that is not an option. Yet, even when I had all three here (GS-1000's were not yet released) I found myself going for RS-1's or PS-1's over the HP-1's.

Sep 19, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #35 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Yep, different strokes for different folks. If I had my way, I would own a pair of HP-1000's too. But at this time, that is not an option. Yet, even when I had all three here (GS-1000's were not yet released) I found myself going for RS-1's or PS-1's over the HP-1's.

Different strokes indeed. I prefer the PS-1 to the RS-1. But there is something about the timbre of the RS-1 and GS-1000 that the others can't seem to replicate.

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #36 of 75
ps-1 all the way....i bought one and loved it so much i picked up another....and they are getting harder to get....but once you obtain them there are no regrets..

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

I gave her the choice and she LOVED the hf1's. she grew up on grado cans so I was pretty sure these would please her more than k701's - they did and they are hers!

How old is your daughter? I am picturing a young girl with 'refined tastes' (you know Grado's instead of some junker Sony MDR-...). You must have raise her right! When I was a kid I used to use those stupid Sony "sport" headphones that were like earbuds attached to a plastic headband. They were yellow...ugly.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #38 of 75
I feel as though the discussion in this thread I created is going to artificially raise the value of the PS-1, now that people know they are 'at least' worth a good $1400.
frown.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #40 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
Here's the best advice I can give you, don't ask! You may not realize it, but by starting this type of thread you could potentially be raising the price.

Read my post above yours.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
How old is your daughter? I am picturing a young girl with 'refined tastes' (you know Grado's instead of some junker Sony MDR-...). You must have raise her right!

well, since you asked...

she turned 20 on friday and does indeed have refined taste in music and equipment. she's a full time musician, drummer primarily, playing around NYC and the woodstock area.

she's had grados and porta-pros for well over 10 years. all that gigging and her sr60's finally got beaten to death. she logged a lot of hours under my RS1's from age 10 also.

her rig is a fisher 400 receiver w/orig tele's in it; a cary 308 cd player, music hall 2.1(?) t.t. with a grado gold cart on it. ety er4's, her new HF1's (happy birthday Sammi), and a ray samuels sr-71 amp.

she's been saving every penny for a new drum kit for 3 years, and won't take help from anybody in getting it. smart girl. I am very very proud of her.

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #42 of 75
I, for one, don't understand all the fuss about the PS1, aside from its' obvious rarity. It is so bass-heavy that I can't see it as anything but a novelty headphone (the L3000 retains a much better overall balance while having very powerful bass). Combined with the worst comfort of any high-end headphone, I'd pay more for an HD650 than a PS1, assuming I couldn't re-sell either
wink.gif

The HP1000 on the other hand sounds a lot more special to me, with a way of getting out of the way of the music that very few other headphones I've heard have. On the merits of sound alone, I think they're worth far more than the PS1. Of course, they are more common and much harder to repair/mantain, so...what's one to do? Buy several pairs and hope for the best? Well I know a few people have already done this!
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #43 of 75
Quote:

she turned 20 on friday and does indeed have refined taste in music and equipment.

I am sorry, but you will probably get a bunch of creepy single head-fiers coming after you for her number now. I shouldn't have asked. That is cool though.

I have tried to ease my girlfriend into the whole headphone/audiophile thing, but she really doesn't seem to notice. She does enjoy the HD555's I got her, but only because they are comfortable. She claims they don't really sound 'that much better' than the iBuds that came with her Nano. I also made her listen to a few tracks she was familiar with, with the HD555, my K601, and my (sold) HF-1 with Flats. She said they all sounded 'pretty much the same'. I was disturbed to say the least. To me these 3 cans all sound very different. With the K601 and HF-1 (w/Flats) on opposite ends, with the HD555 somewhere in between.

I guess I just find the idea of a woman who can appreciate high quality sound on her own very cool. Her father taught her well!
cool.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #44 of 75
The price tag of the PS-1 will definitely parallel that of the L3000 for two reasons.

1. It is a rare and respected production item
2. Owners are reluctant to part with a renowned member of the Holy Trinity

I only say this from personal experience. Someone would have to slide a brief case across my desk containing an incomprehensible amount of money to convince me otherwise; you know, the kind that emits a profusion of scattered light when its contents are revealed and renders viewers to a hypnotic, almost vegetable-like state!

Even if that happened, I would still possess latent feelings of regret and curse the buyer for his/her shrewd negotiating techniques.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back