PS-1/K3000/K1000/HD650 Which Would You Chose With DYNAHI-SA?
Oct 11, 2005 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

xand1x

500+ Head-Fier
Greeetings head-fier's,

I've recently been facing quite a tough decision about what cans to pair my pending Veda Audio Dynahi-SA amp with. I've narrowed my selection down to the PS-1, K3000, K1000, or HD650! I would appreciate anyone who is able to provide me with any input in reference to what headphone you think would sound best with this amp and/or what headphone sounds the best in general based on your experience (regardless of setup). I am also upgrading from Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones being fed ampless out of a Creative Audigy 2 ZS; so basically, this is going to be a complete overhaul for me
icon10.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 18
I never heard the K3000, so I can't comment on those. But they use the K1000 drivers, which have rolled off bass. But the bass they have is quite good in my opinion.

If you're looking for bass both the PS-1s and HD650 have it -- both of them a bit too much in my opinion. But I almost bought the PS-1s. If they had just a little less bass, I'd love them. The 650s were ultimately a bit too thick and dark for me -- they're smooth, though, nice and smooth.

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 18
ty for input everyone keep it comin
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 18
In my opinion, the K-1000 "Earspeakers" are in a league by themselves. You will not get what it is they have to offer in any other "Headphone". Also, the K-1000's are a discontinued product and will not be available (brand new) for much longer. I would imagine that Headroom and a few other vendors still have some new stock left. So,( for these reasons and more), I would go with AKG... ASAP!

Oct 11, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G.
In my opinion, the K-1000 "Earspeakers" are in a league by themselves. You will not get what it is they have to offer in any other "Headphone". Also, the K-1000's are a discontinued product and will not be available (brand new) for much longer. I would imagine that Headroom and a few other vendors still have some new stock left. So,( for these reasons and more), I would go with AKG... ASAP!

The K1000s aren't exactly what I'd recommend (regardless of amplification) to someone who is Quote:

looking for a warm sound with good mids/highs in addition to viceral bass impact (tight/punchy).

Excuse me, I have two K1000s, but both aren't sounding "warm with a punchy, visceral bass".I'm no basshead, even the midbass hump of the Senn HD 6X0 series is too much for me.The K1000s are seriously lacking in the bass department, some listeners are even listening to them in combination with a subwoofer.
In addition to the rolled off bass the K1000s are bright sounding headphones since they are in fact more like headmounted fullrange speakers, nearfield monitors as near as possible, and the tonal balance is like it would be in the free field .That means bright, and owner's tend to tame this brightness by applying a tube amp with rolled off treble, an Equalizer or the original AKG BAP 1000 processor (provides an diffuse field-like equalization/a little extra crossfeed/a little reverb).
Nice headstage though.

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 18
None of the above. K1000 is not what you're looking for, totally wrong sound signature. The PS-1 Pro ain't gonna mate well with the Dynahi unless you listen at deafening volumes or have the gain dropped to about 2 or 3, and I don't know if the amp's stable at that gain. The 650 is a possibility and should mate well with the Dynahi, but I have a lot of issues with it with regards to tone and a complete lack of groove & fun. Haven't heard the K3000 so I wouldn't know.

So with that said, find yourself an AKG K340 off ebay or wherever and send it off to Larry at Headphile.com to mod. Or if you're handy with a soldering iron, there's a thread I started in the DIY forum that has step by step instructions on the procedure.

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 18
I'd say its between the Senn 650 and Grado PS-1 but given the price gap... the Senn 650 + cable gets my vote. If the PS-1 is at all like the Grado house sound, then absolutely vote Senn 650.

For a Senn 650 sound with more treble energy and air, look to the Beyer 880. These are based on using a HeadAmp Reference, my Dynahi PP won't arrive for another week or so.

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
The 650 is a possibility and should mate well with the Dynahi, but I have a lot of issues with it with regards to tone and a complete lack of groove & fun.

Depends on the goal I suppose but I find a little dab of, not over the top, tube love really fills it in and energises the Senn. The A324+Rudi was a little too full for me, the A324+Reference too dry, the Tri-Vista + Reference is just right
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand1x
I'm looking for a warm sound with good mids/highs in addition to viceral bass impact (tight/punchy).

ATH-L3000 if its in your budget. I would say the above describes their sound to a tee.

Btw, why the PS-1 and not RS-1 out of curiousity? The K1000 will NOT have a viceral bass impact (though they do have bass, I just wouldn't call it booming). Their frequency roll off is about 30Hz which to my knowledge no regular music instrument produces (I believe like a kick drum is around 60Hz). With that said, they NEED ALOT of power to get bass out of them.

Trogdor

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 18
The PS1s sound very good with the dynahi, and don't require that you drive them to insane levels to have that be true. This is definitely from first hand experience...

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 18
Thanks to everyone for input, I must correct myself. To be honest I'm not even sure what type of sound signature will be right for me, I think my lack of experience with hi-fi equipment is the cause of this; thus, I would like to retract my statement about sound signature and ask everyone what they think would be a good starter can for this amp. Thanks once again for replies, hopefully my ignorance will be forgiven
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 18
I power K1000 and K340 with my Dynahi, and from what you describe, a K340 with mods is what I would recommend. You can easily do the mods yourself. The ultra linear neutrality and resolution of Dynahi synergizes very well with modded K340 to bring out midrange Textures that I haven't quite heard anywhere else. The bass still won't be in super-bass territory due to K340's bass driver limitations, but it's good enough for my tastes..

It IS possible to bring K1000 closer to the type of sound you describe, but it'll take some serious mods.

I also recommend looking into Grado RS1. If I had to own ONE Grado, this would be it, considering price or not.

Or, wait a bit and see how AKG K701/601 shakes out with Dynahi. So far, AKG's have really mated well with Dynahi.

Oct 11, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 18
I think for a starting point either the Beyer 880 or Senn 650 are both great choices. Both are top notch headphones that you can grow with. Air or smooth pick your poison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back