Proxxon or Dremel Rotary Tool? *With Poll*
Apr 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

jacc1234

New Head-Fier
I would like to get all of your opinions on this. After reading around the forums I saw a few references to Proxxon tools. They are German built and not much more then Dremel. If anyone has used both I would love to hear your feedback. I do not currently own a rotary tool so this would be my first purchase and I want to get the correct one from the beginning.

I have been looking at these two items for my casework setup:
Amazon.com: Proxxon 38472 FBS 115/E Precision Rotary Tool: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Proxxon 28606 MICROMOT Drill Stand MB 140/ S: Home Improvement

Also, does anyone know if I can use Dremel bits with the Proxxon?

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 25
The Proxxons are nice, getting proxxon accessories is harder to find and generally more expensive, Dremel has a larger and easier to find set of attachments if you want to do more than hand work. Woodcraft stores carry Proxxon stuff if you have one nearby. I have a Dremel and a more powerful Rotozip.

i have one of these at home, great for those smaller pieces.

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 25
Dremel, if only because they're more widely available. Proxxon makes nice stuff, too, but if you break a grinding wheel, you migh have to order another rather than running down to Home Depot for another.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 25
I have a drill press with xy vices as well as fence with stop blocks (woodworker
wink.gif
). Each tool mentioned here have their own place in the workshop and really depends on the task at hand -- one will always be better than the other depending on the application.

zk

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 25
they both use 1/8" shank bits, so bits are interchangeable.

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 25
My vote goes to Dremel.
I have tried both and prefer Dremel. With the bonus that its easier available, as its sold in "any" hardware store.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacc1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the cordless versions powerful enough for most tasks?

No!

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacc1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks for the input everyone. Now to decide between corded and cordless. Are the cordless versions powerful enough for most tasks?

Do not buy cordless unless you really need it to be cordless!

Nothing like 220v!!!(or 110 if you're on the other side of the pond)

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 25
I like my black and decker rotary tool. I've owned it for years and have never found a job that it isn't powerful enough for, but it isn't cordless. I don't even own a cordless drill.

You'll find that cordless tools become useless quickly when doing real work (tough materials or a lot of intricate work). A flex cable and corded rotary tool should be plenty. When it comes to quality, any halfway decent brand will give you a lot of use if you take care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back