Prove my dad wrong !!!! ( he thinks beats are awesome)
Mar 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FlobHobNob

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so my dad has a friend whos a DJ and told my dad that beats pros are by far the best headphones he's ever listened to. The problem with that is I'm going to buy some new headphones here pretty for around 150 bux and I think he is going to want to buy me beats, but I know they are a rip off for the price and a complete scam. Please help me convince my dad wrong and hopefully recomend some headphones in the said price range to help him change his mind.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
Ok so my dad has a friend whos a DJ and told my dad that beats pros are by far the best headphones he's ever listened to. The problem with that is I'm going to buy some new headphones here pretty for around 150 bux and I think he is going to want to buy me beats, but I know they are a rip off for the price and a complete scam. Please help me convince my dad wrong and hopefully recomend some headphones in the said price range to help him change his mind.

Tell him you don't want the best, you want "insert model number" and your reason is "because that's what I want".

Very best,

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 14

Just watched this video before reading this thread, so it's funny you should mention it. The person in the video I have never seen before and you can tell that his knowledge about audio is limited, but even then, he still knows how much of a rip off the beats are.

Also, DJ =/= Audiophile. It may very well be the best headphone he has heard, because before them, he may have been using some Sennheiser HD201s or Sony V150s. Who knows? I will say the excess bass in the Pros are probably slightly ideal for a loud club environment (I'm not a DJ or anything), but he(your dad's friend) may do better with something like the Crossfade LP2s if he wants something with excess bass. They would be cheaper and more durable too.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Yh my dads friend said he has akg's, audio technica's,bose, and of course, four kinds of beats, so I can say I was rather surprised

Something wrong in your Dad's friend ears. 
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 14
Tell your pops Beats are prone to theft -- often violent.  Weave a tale of some poor kid getting his throat slit from ear to ear, just for his Beats.  Say you want to stay low profile for your own safety and your Dad's peace of mind.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 14
I know a couple of DJ's and it doesn't automatically make them experts with headphones, in fact I find the opposite is true. One has extremely limited knowledge ( no clue ). Every time I talk with him I find I have to hold back in the conversation regarding headphones. Sure they know how to mix and use programs and beatmatch etc, but headphones are a different story at least in my dealings with DJ's I know .
 SO don't let them throw that around like some sort of perceived authority thing.

Tell him they break, look like Lego or McDonald's headphones, and you're "all growed up now " That'll help.
  Or go find a bunch of photos of people in recording studios ( artists he likes ) and show him the AKG's and all the other good cans in the pictures.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 14
Skrillex seems to master with the Beats Studios. His music has almost no sub bass. We all know what to blame for that.
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Also, tell him that if he wants you to buy Beats, he'll be the one replacing it when it breaks... (not if, when)

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Skrillex seems to master with the Beats Studios. His music has almost no sub bass. We all know what to blame for that.
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Also, tell him that if he wants you to buy Beats, he'll be the one replacing it when it breaks... (not if, when)

What a shame. He is a talented guy, but using the wrong gear. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 14
I think the robbery tale may be a good idea. I wouldn't be as graphic as saying someone got their throat slit, but mention that beats is a highly recognized brand and are very prone to theft. You wouldn't be lying, because they definitely are, probably one of the most prone to theft brands out there.
I don't think you'll be able to convince your dad, as it's your word against the word of someone he regards as an expert with audio (the DJ).

I would never walk around outside with beats on in the less desirable areas in my city, just like I wouldn't do the same for my Denons. I do, however, run around with my modded Fostex T50rp's hooked up to a Zune 30. Both brands are ones most people either don't know about, don't want, or don't care about. Little do they know. :wink:

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Yh my dads friend said he has akg's, audio technica's,bose, and of course, four kinds of beats, so I can say I was rather surprised

No surprises really - none of the brands in his list are known for boomy bass and if he likes Beats over the other brands then chances are he's a basshead.

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 14
Just get him to your closest audio store, and make him try some Ultrasone's or smth, if you can find them ofc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back