Proof of evolution—Darwin Filters V2 for HiBy RS6, RS8, RS2, FC6
Nov 14, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #46 of 106
Noted and very helpful, thanks @Joe Bloggs. At the risk of being dense, is it still the case that to use the V2 filterset, however, NOS switch needs to be off?
Yes. Flipping the NOS switch nulls all filters, by design. You are locked into that single NOS setting. Once off, you can navigate through all the other filter settings.

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #47 of 106
LoryWiv said:
Noted and very helpful, thanks @Joe Bloggs. At the risk of being dense, is it still the case that to use the V2 filterset, however, NOS switch needs to be off?

Yes. Flipping the NOS switch nulls all filters, by design. You are locked into that single NOS setting. Once off, you can navigate through all the other filter settings.
Yes, the V2 filterset is a set of _oversampling_ filters, some of which _act like_ different flavours of NOS (they can do that, by calculating the oversampling in the same ways that different flavours of NOS affect the output in the ultrasonic frequencies), and one of which (Ultra) aims to distill the best in both NOS and OS. The NOS switch turns off all that and simply goes for the original built-in NOS implementation.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 15, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #49 of 106
Out of all my dap, I've used rs6 the most, specially after V2 upgrade.

It is the closet thing to a warm sounding tube in a dap format.

Edit: hiby rs6 silently released a new firmware.
I have a new audio plugin in mind, one which produces a very warm, lush effect for me at the right settings. Its main effect actually is the removal of harsh treble peaks while maintaining low level treble detail. The only caveats are that its working principle bears no resemblance to tubes, and, there is a slider you have to adjust, which acts sort of like the overdrive pedal on tube amps. Too little and there is no effect, too much and it "saturates" the output, resulting in a fuzzy mushy sound. Ideally you only need to adjust this one slider, but you may find that you have to adjust it differently depending on how loud the music is relative to the device volume output (i.e. if two recordings sound the same volume at different device volume settings, you may have to adjust the slider differently). Alternatively, there may be an additional preamp slider, and you should be able to keep the "drive" slider at around the same place as long as you keep the device volume setting constant and use the preamp slider to adjust volume.

Gauging interest...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 15, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #50 of 106
"Show us the RS2 firmware!" :D

Nov 15, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #51 of 106
I have a new audio plugin in mind, one which produces a very warm, lush effect for me at the right settings. Its main effect actually is the removal of harsh treble peaks while maintaining low level treble detail. The only caveats are that its working principle bears no resemblance to tubes, and, there is a slider you have to adjust, which acts sort of like the overdrive pedal on tube amps. Too little and there is no effect, too much and it "saturates" the output, resulting in a fuzzy mushy sound. Ideally you only need to adjust this one slider, but you may find that you have to adjust it differently depending on how loud the music is relative to the device volume output (i.e. if two recordings sound the same volume at different device volume settings, you may have to adjust the slider differently). Alternatively, there may be an additional preamp slider, and you should be able to keep the "drive" slider at around the same place as long as you keep the device volume setting constant and use the preamp slider to adjust volume.

Gauging interest...
Yes please!!!!

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #52 of 106
Sounds like an ideal option to use in combination with my Cayin C9, that (with any of the RSx products.) I find much better in PRE mode than in Line mode ...

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #53 of 106

Gauging interest...
interested !

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #54 of 106
Sounds like an ideal option to use in combination with my Cayin C9, that (with any of the RSx products.) I find much better in PRE mode than in Line mode ...
I'm hoping that after the success of the N30LE classic tube setting, Cayin will release the C9 classic setting as well.

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #55 of 106
I'm hoping that after the success of the N30LE classic tube setting, Cayin will release the C9 classic setting as well.
Not sure if that is at all possible with the C9 .. But I guess only @Andykong can answer that

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #56 of 106
Hi @Joe Bloggs. Just installed the V2 filterset and Ultra is SPECTACULAR! I did not change anything else besides selecting it (I still have HDR and harmonic controller enabled, latter at 110 as my desktop amp. is an S.E.T. tube amp and I am generally a "tube-sound" guy. With that, I am in DAP endgame heaven. My IEM's, the Empire Ears ESR MKII, are analytical so the counterbalance these DAP settings provide truly is bringing me the best of both worlds, great staging, extension and detail coupled with euphonic musicality! A big thanks!

Nov 15, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #57 of 106
Nov 16, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #58 of 106

Gauging interest...

that sounds really promising !

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #59 of 106

Gauging interest...
My interest is engaged...
Yes, Please!
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #60 of 106
Question about V2 filterset (and filters in general): When using RS6 to output Bluetooth to wireless speakers or TWS headphones, is the effect of the filter selected incorporated into the Bluetooth stream, i.e. - reach the receiving wireless device and impact it's sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back