Promising new portable headphone amp (Mobile Icon) from NuForce
Dec 30, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #211 of 486
Do the mod and if you dont like it just order a replacement case so it looks as good as new if you decide to sell it. Does not damage to the jack or amp.

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #212 of 486
X2. The case is replaceable. But either case now being offered will not solve the 8.5mm size limit. Only the mod will do. Never considered resale value, mainly because I don't often sell amps.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #213 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm. I hadn't come across that, but, yeah, it is too drastic for me. I don't feel comfortable dashing the resale (and aesthetic) value of my Icon Mobile with a homemade chisel job...so I'll be sticking with my Griffin headphone adapter for now.
rolleyes.gif
Any idea if this sort of modification affects the warranty?

You accept the free replacement case, but save it, and cut the original case to fit the bigger plugs. Then if you ever sell it you have the replacement case to go with it.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #214 of 486
So do they (or will they) actually sell replacement cases separately? I'm aware of the one-time-only replacements that went out after the initial batch of silver ones were depleted, but I hadn't caught wind of extra cases being offered down the road...

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #215 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You accept the free replacement case, but save it, and cut the original case to fit the bigger plugs. Then if you ever sell it you have the replacement case to go with it.

Good idea, except: my black Mobile Icon actually shipped with the revised case; NuForce said an email error wound up spooling the "you have an old case" message to too many customers. No extra case for me.

EDIT: To be clear -- I don't mean this to sound like the end of the world...I'm aware that it's just a case for just a headphone amp for just a hobby, after all. But I like this "have an extra, unmodified case lying around" idea if I can manage to get one.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #217 of 486
Just received the Icon Mobile & I'm liking the first 5 minutes. I can't wait for when everything is burned in. If it improves, it'll be even better.

I'm using this with iTouch 2G and ER6i. The Icon improves the sound. It makes it sound fuller & cleaner. With the iTouch & ER6i, I felt the sound to be slightly lacking and empty, and the bass was lacking.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #218 of 486
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to use my Icon Mobile's DAC between my Mac and my home stereo's Arcam reciever. The Arcam only has RCA stereo inputs. Does this mean it only accepts analog signals and therefore has no DAC? I tried it today vs directly from my mac's headphone output and it sounded better going through the Icon Mobile via USB. Would I be better off getting a USB Thingee for that purpose? Or is the USB Thingee basicaly a similar component as the Icon Mobile?
Blue Circle Audio USB Thingee

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #219 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could probably do a smooth job shaving down a small part of the lip of the case with a dremmel, instead of a knife.

Agreed. I'd certainly make the mod as neat as possible (which is something my training as an artist has actually [size=xx-small]<gasp!>[/size] prepared me for), but I personally won't go ahead with it until I have a spare case in tow.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #221 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ask Jason for one. I got an email saying mine would be shipped, but not sure if that's the case, pardon the pun. Oh, I had the original, not v2.

Yeah, good idea. I'll do that!
beerchug.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #222 of 486
how bright is the low batt light on yours?

I just received mine yesterday and have had it plugged into usb overnight. Today i look at it and the charge light is out but i see a real faint red glow coming out of the led. The charge light does not come back on when i plug it in. Is the battery dead and not charging?

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #223 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how bright is the low batt light on yours?

I just received mine yesterday and have had it plugged into usb overnight. Today i look at it and the charge light is out but i see a real faint red glow coming out of the led. The charge light does not come back on when i plug it in. Is the battery dead and not charging?

That means it's fully charged (since the charge light isn't coming on when you plug it in again) and the faint red you're seeing is just light reflecting off the red LED, same thing happens with mine.

Edit: The low battery LED doesn't activate till maybe 30 minutes left, and you'll know when it's on.

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #224 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, if that is the case then I believe I'll have to go with another portable amp because I use my portable amp/dac combos exclusively out of my laptop's usb at all times.

When I use the USB out and that's a lot of the time, I don't hear it, it's after extended non-USB use when I plug it into the computer FOR charging it may happen. I hope this clears things up.

Jan 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #225 of 486
DO these ship international or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back