Promising new portable headphone amp (Mobile Icon) from NuForce
Dec 7, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #76 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll try it later and report back, but so far it seems to be great with all my portable phones (Westone 3, Image X10, NE-7M, Denon C700, ATH-ESW10). It's one of those amps that actually makes the C700 smoother and less harsh in the highs, while controlling the bass - one of the things I like about the Headsix and Predator with the C700.

I haven't tried it yet with my full size home phones yet (AKG K240M, Yamaha HP-1, SFI woodies, A900, D2000, HD600, RS-1, Edition 9). The first three I listed are hard as hell to drive and usually need a desktop amp.

I have not been through all those headphones yet as I only have 125 hours of the 300 hours of burn-in that I want before I do my review. But I must say this amp is sounding more and more transparent as it burns in via the USB DAC on my Macbook. I'm fairly sure I will like the Icon Mobile more than my D2 Boa, and maybe also my Meier Headsix - it has a similar forward sound as the Headsix, but with added ambience and air or space.

It also sounds very nice from the line out dock of my iPhone 3G and so far I have not heard any buzzing from my iPhone 3G interference all night. I am watching that closely, and so far the Nuforce has been one of the best portables at rejecting the dreaded iPhone chatter - but until tonight it was still possible to hear noise if the amp was within 6-8 inches of the phone. Now that has changed. It's possible burn-in further improves its resistance to iPhone chatter or buzzing.

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #77 of 486
Hah! my teenage daughter tricked me and installed a Quick Bridge Solutions - EM Shield for iPhone RFI blocking business card into the back of my new silicone iPhone case, and I'm pretty sure that since she did it yesterday that I have found the reason my Nuforce is silent with the iPhone now.

I was complaining to her how the card wouldn't fit into my crystal case because it was too tight, and we went to Best Buy to get a DLO silicone case. So while I was driving I had her put the iPhone in the new case. I went out to the car to get the RFI blocking card today and it wasn't there, and then she pointed it out to me as being in the silicone case already.

Huge thumbs up for this product from Quick Bridge Solutions - EM Shield for iPhone !!

I will now have to test all my amps with and without the card in the back of the case.

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #78 of 486
Hah! my teenage daughter tricked me and installed a Quick Bridge Solutions - EM Shield for iPhone RFI blocking business card into the back of my new silicone iPhone case, and I'm pretty sure that since she did it yesterday that I have found the reason my Nuforce is silent with the iPhone now.

I was complaining to her how the card wouldn't fit into my crystal case because it was too tight, and we went to Best Buy to get a DLO silicone case. So while I was driving I had her put the iPhone in the new case. I went out to the car to get the RFI blocking card today and it wasn't there, and then she pointed it out to me as being in the silicone case already.

Huge thumbs up for this product from Quick Bridge Solutions - EM Shield for iPhone !!

I will now have to test all my amps with and without the card in the back of the case.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #79 of 486
Quote:

I have not been through all those headphones yet as I only have 125 hours of the 300 hours of burn-in that I want before I do my review. But I must say this amp is sounding more and more transparent as it burns in via the USB DAC on my Macbook. I'm fairly sure I will like the Icon Mobile more than my D2 Boa, and maybe also my Meier Headsix - it has a similar forward sound as the Headsix, but with added ambience and air or space.

I'm looking forward to how you feel the Mobile Icon stacks up against the other amp/dac combos in your review. If it presents the sound slightly more foward than my lyrix then I think I'll upgrade and give my lyrix and sf5p to my brother for Christmas. For me personally, if the dac portion of the Mobile Icon outperforms my lyrix then that'll probably be enough for me at that price. I'll keep a look out for your review in the coming month
smile_phones.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #81 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking forward to how you feel the Mobile Icon stacks up against the other amp/dac combos in your review. If it presents the sound slightly more foward than my lyrix then I think I'll upgrade and give my lyrix and sf5p to my brother for Christmas. For me personally, if the dac portion of the Mobile Icon outperforms my lyrix then that'll probably be enough for me at that price. I'll keep a look out for your review in the coming month
smile_phones.gif

So far at 145+ hours it is a little more forward than the Lyrix (like the Headsix), and the DAC is a little more detailed and airy as well. I am probably going to give my Lyrix to my son or to p0wderh0und23 who I just loaned it to.

If I were you I would give the Lyrix and sf5pro to your brother as planned, and replace them with the Nuforce and Westone 3 which mate well together.
icon10.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #82 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry thanks for the EM Shield link, just ordered one.

The EM shield does make a difference - I can now stack the iPhone on many of my amps and not hear the buzz; and I can leave the iPhone on my sticky pad on my car dashboard and the iPhone doesn't make the car radio buzz anymore.

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #84 of 486
Quote:

So far at 145+ hours it is a little more forward than the Lyrix (like the Headsix), and the DAC is a little more detailed and airy as well. I am probably going to give my Lyrix to my son or to p0wderh0und23 who I just loaned it to.

If I were you I would give the Lyrix and sf5pro to your brother as planned, and replace them with the Nuforce and Westone 3 which mate well together.
icon10.gif

Thanks! I'll definitely be looking into picking one up in the near future. Just got to get my wallet settled after picking up a few gifts for the family/friends first.

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #85 of 486
Mine has burned in nicely too, and the harsh sounds have smoothed out. This is a killer little amp for the price!

I'm surprised at how much battery burn the USB output has on my notebook, though! It cuts battery life in half!

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #87 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine has burned in nicely too, and the harsh sounds have smoothed out. This is a killer little amp for the price!

I'm surprised at how much battery burn the USB output has on my notebook, though! It cuts battery life in half!

Well, if your notebook is not plug in to AC, then it will be used to charge the Icon Mobile.
I hope this posting is not being seen as abusing the forum to promote a product. We offer the iPod LOD and a very compact and high quality USB AC charger as a package for $44.95:
Accessories pack
This help to reduce the number of cables that I have to carry and I was able to charge my iPod when I was at the airport:
Accessories-I-charging.jpg

The same mini-USB cable can be used for iPod sync, camera sync etc and charging too.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #88 of 486
Jason,

You shameless promoting hussy you ! Ha Ha

k0kjkz.jpg

I got something similar from Amazon but it had two drawbacks.

1. The Ipod doc plug has no pins to hold it in place and it moved back and forth. Especially on the go !! and it kept coming out.

2. The 3.5 on this particular model has a 3.5mm, 4pin for AV out but if I used my 3.5mm 3 pin Cardas cable from the adapter to my Ipod, it would drain the ipod of power when turned off

It too has a mini USB and an ipod doc passthru. on the bottom

What makes your adapter better??

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #89 of 486
Quote:

What makes your adapter better??

I will stop here or will be seen as promoting our own product.
Since you have experience with similar adapter, order one when it is available. If you don't like it, return for a full refund (including shipping refund).
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back