Project Sunrise/PS2 Tube Rolling Thread (and maybe even Project Horizon and Project Ember)
Jul 8, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #196 of 412
Quote:
No secret I am a fan of the 12bh7 / 12bh7a, but I recently have been toying with their less common brother, the 6gu7 which is basically a 6v version. Outstanding tall bottle tube (tall for a mini 9 pin at about 1/2" taller than say a 12au7) and can be had for a couple of bucks per tube. To note, RCA Makes a clear top version.

Maybe time to give that Sylvania 12BH7A a go again. Interesting design with the tall elements in the tube. Unfortunately no 6gu7s at my local valve dealer, but there are a couple of other 12BH7A on offer including the RCA.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #197 of 412
Got my Sylvania 12AV7 and even right after putting it in everything has just been tightened up from the stock tube. Can tell tube rolling is going to become a hobby...thanks to everyone for this thread, otherwise Id have no idea what I was doing haha.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #199 of 412
Until this morning I had assumed that the 6N23P that came with my Sunrise was from the Reflector plant.  After some research on 6N23P tubes I now believe it comes from the Voskhod plant because it has the Voskhod rocket logo on it. 

Does anyone know if I am correct about this?  I purchased the kit 7 months ago.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #200 of 412
All of the early Sunrise I kits and many Sunrise II kits received reflektor 6n23p's until the sources dried up. Then the change was made to  voskhod and those sources quickly dried up. Shoot me a detailed photo from the side of your tube and I can tell you exactly what you have.

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #201 of 412
Quote:
All of the early Sunrise I kits and many Sunrise II kits received reflektor 6n23p's until the sources dried up. Then the change was made to  voskhod and those sources quickly dried up. Shoot me a detailed photo from the side of your tube and I can tell you exactly what you have.

Thanks for the quick reply Jeremy.  The printing is very, very light and I doubt it would photograph well, but it has the Voskhod "rocket" logo so if that's a good identifier, I have my answer.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #202 of 412
Post Deleted!

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #204 of 412
Quote:
I have Sylvania 12BH7A that works fine in the Sunrise ii.

daerron

Thanks for the reply to the post I deleted.  After I posted it, I realized I had an updated list of tubes from the manual and 12BH7A was on it.  I will be getting a Sylvania black plate and a
Sylvania gray plate today so I'm looking forward to checking them out.

The last couple of days I received a really pleasant surprise when I finally burned in the Voskhod 6N23P that came with the Sunrise.  I like it so much that right now, it is clearly one of my favorite tubes.   I will probably try a couple of the other Russian tubes also.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #205 of 412
why 12BH7A and 6GU7 aren't on the current manual of the starlight?

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #206 of 412
I expect that the 12BH7A and 6GU7 will be in the Starlight manual on the next update. 

I received a couple of Sylvania 12BH7A and am still evaluating them.  Initial indications are good but nothing compared to my recent revelations after finally burning in the 6N23P (Voskhod) that came with the Sunrise II.  I was so impressed with this tube that I just ordered a couple more Russian tubes:

1962 6N1P-B OTK, with gold grid, and molybdenum pins.  The seller indicates it is from the Foton military plant (in Tashkent I believe) but it has the pentagon logo that I have read indicates manufacture in the Novosibirsk plant. Who knows, but its the sound that counts.

early 80s 6N1P-EB, OTK, with molybdenum pins made in the Voskhod plant.

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #207 of 412
Has anybody compared Ember with Sunrise II?

Has anybody compared Ember with Lyr?

Has anybody compared Ember with Little Dot MK IV SE?

Has anybody compared Sunrise II with Bravo Ocean?

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #208 of 412
Quote:
Has anybody compared Ember with Sunrise II?

Has anybody compared Ember with Lyr?

Has anybody compared Ember with Little Dot MK IV SE?

Has anybody compared Sunrise II with Bravo Ocean?

I have Ember and Sunrise II. They sound more alike than different, to me, and both sound wonderful. I favor Ember for its auto-biasing, auto-voltage, and higher power. Ember even powers HE-6 to levels greater than I can tolerate and does so without clipping ( ~ 90 to 95 dB). This combo sounds superb to my ears. BTW, I'm currently using NIB/NOS Telefunken E88CC.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #209 of 412
I have Ember and Sunrise II. They sound more alike than different, to me, and both sound wonderful. I favor Ember for its auto-biasing, auto-voltage, and higher power. Ember even powers HE-6 to levels greater than I can tolerate and does so without clipping ( ~ 90 to 95 dB). This combo sounds superb to my ears. BTW, I'm currently using NIB/NOS Telefunken E88CC.

Have you compared them to any other amps?

Do you prefer one over the other? If so, why?

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #210 of 412
^

I've compared Ember and Sunrise II to each other and both to the amp stage of my Dacmini. I'm happy with all 3 amps.

The hybrid amps offer the option of "tone shaping" by experimenting with different tubes. I enjoy looking at the tubes' glow and the components soldered onto the PCB.

Dacmini offers ease of use since it's solid state and has the amp and DAC integrated in one unit.

I will compare all 3 to GS-X and Centrance HiFi M8 when they arrive.

I would choose Ember over Sunrise due to automatic settings for voltage and bias, plus its higher power. Both offer excellent build quality, design, and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back