Project Sunrise/PS2 Tube Rolling Thread (and maybe even Project Horizon and Project Ember)
Aug 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #211 of 412
Just got my Project Ember in yesterday afternoon:

Currently got my HE-500's hooked up and using the stock tubes. I've got some Amperex and Telefunken 12AU7's coming later this week so looking forward to seeing what tube rolling's all about.

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #212 of 412
Quote:
Just got my Project Ember in yesterday afternoon:

Currently got my HE-500's hooked up and using the stock tubes. I've got some Amperex and Telefunken 12AU7's coming later this week so looking forward to seeing what tube rolling's all about.

what is your DAC?

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #214 of 412
Well I got my Telefunken and Amperex 12AU7 tubes last night. One immediate difference I heard between these and the stock tubes is that the soundstage opens up a fair bit.

A quick question, do tubes sound a lot different after burn in?

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #215 of 412
I don't think I have heard much difference with tube burn in, many people find much difference. A lot of it is placebo but some minor differences may be genuine. Only AB testing with the same tube, both brand new and an used one can tell.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #216 of 412
Depends on the tube. I found my RCA cleartop that I got new to get a bit more tame after burn in. As far as telefunkens and amperex to be specific, I bought mine used so burn in has already happened.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #217 of 412
I want to confirm one thing:

1. Bravo ocean helps my Aktimate Micro in several ways but harms in several ways.

2. Bravo Ocean makes the mids muddy and difficult to articulate. Will the Ember have clear and clear mids which are easy to decipher?

3. Bravo Ocean isn't as clean and clear as the speakers alone. Will Ember be significantly cleaner and clearer than Bravo Ocean?

4. The bass impact is reduced with Bravo. Will Ember do this as well.

5. I am basically looking for a much cleaner and much clearer sound which is more transparent than Ocean and doesn't defeat the purpose of using a preamp for my speakers. Will Ember do that with Aktimate Micro?

6. In short, as far as transparency is concerned, and a clean sound, is the Ember a step up from Bravo Ocean?

Thanks in advance

Aakshey

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #218 of 412
@techboy: we have answered to these questions (me and other persons) in other forums or by private message, no need to ask the same thing 3 or 4 times...

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #219 of 412
Ya, hopefully buying soon, hopefully :)

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #220 of 412
Well, here's my Ember
biggrin.gif
S/N:0020. Been trying it out for a week now. Extremely happy with it. Mostly been using the tube that I got with it, the Voshkod 6N1P-VI, but also tried out a Tung-Sol 12BH7. Of those two I prefer the 6N1P. The Tung-Sol sounded a bit veiled and muted compared. I've got so many tubes to try out, and now It's the 6N2P-EB(EV) that's getting playtime, it's the one one the picture. These russian tubes are amazing...and extremely cheap. I've got many of them mainly from Voshkod from different years. Also got some Nevz 6N1P from the 50's to arrive soon.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #221 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommo21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the Voshkod 6N1P-VI, but also tried out a Tung-Sol 12BH7. Of those two I prefer the 6N1P. The Tung-Sol sounded a bit veiled and muted compared. I've got so many tubes to try out, and now It's the 6N2P-EB(EV) that's getting playtime, it's the one one the picture. These russian tubes are amazing...and extremely cheap. I've got many of them mainly from Voshkod from different years. Also got some Nevz 6N1P from the 50's to arrive soon.

I've tried 6N2P-Ev on my Ember and... bought 4 others 6N2P-Ev (ones with triple mica, from the 60s) this tube is extremely well built: triple mica, plates made like a piece of jewelry, dual supported getter, the gain is as high as 12AX7 but the sound is more refined and the heater voltage is only 6.3v like ECC88, great and cheap valve !

I've also tried GENERAL ELECTRIC, SYLVANIA 6GU7 and RCA 12BH7a (black plates) they all sounds great, excellent soundstage, medium is "organic" and detailed and highs aren't harsh.

I've ordered some 6BZ7 to give it a try :)

If you're into tube-rolling you should buy a novib 9 pin socket saver to preserve the socket of your ember (6GU7 and 12BH7 can be difficult to insert into your socket without using force, using a socket saver help to preserve your Ember).

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #222 of 412
Can you recommend me tubes which meet all these requirements:

They can be from any family. Whether you sell them or not. I can find on ebay if you want. Family or make doesn't matter. Just recommend the best for my purpose.

Neutral or slightly bright treble, shouldn't be warm. I don't need warm.
Extremely crisp, better than rca clear top
Super fast attack and prat, better than rca clear top
Super clean, super clear and super transparent, better than rca clear top
Forward mids or very forward mids or slightly forward mids
If possible, thumping bass as well. And if possible strong bass. Bass is secondary though.

For this purpose which family do you recommend? 6DJ8 or 6922 or something else? which make and model? approx ebay pricing?

Can you recommend me my top 5 choices?

Thank You

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #223 of 412
Quote:
Can you recommend me tubes which meet all these requirements:

They can be from any family. Whether you sell them or not. I can find on ebay if you want. Family or make doesn't matter. Just recommend the best for my purpose.

Neutral or slightly bright treble, shouldn't be warm. I don't need warm.
Extremely crisp, better than rca clear top
Super fast attack and prat, better than rca clear top
Super clean, super clear and super transparent, better than rca clear top
Forward mids or very forward mids or slightly forward mids
If possible, thumping bass as well. And if possible strong bass. Bass is secondary though.

For this purpose which family do you recommend? 6DJ8 or 6922 or something else? which make and model? approx ebay pricing?

Can you recommend me my top 5 choices?

Thank You

In my estimation, the stock tube that comes with your Ember will fill the bill.

When I bought my Sunrise, I immediately set about buying all of the tubes I read about on the internet.  It wasn't until just recently that I tried the Voskhod 6N23p that came with it.  I like it more than most of the other tubes I have and the only one I like a slight bit more is a 1985 6N1P-EB (Voskhod). 

In my judgement, using Sunrise and DBV#3 Fostex, all Russian tubes I have tried sound very, very similar.  I believe you will be enjoy with the stock tube.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #224 of 412
Quote:
In my estimation, the stock tube that comes with your Ember will fill the bill.

When I bought my Sunrise, I immediately set about buying all of the tubes I read about on the internet.  It wasn't until just recently that I tried the Voskhod 6N23p that came with it.  I like it more than most of the other tubes I have and the only one I like a slight bit more is a 1985 6N1P-EB (Voskhod). 

In my judgement, using Sunrise and DBV#3 Fostex, all Russian tubes I have tried sound very, very similar.  I believe you will be enjoy with the stock tube.

^ +1
Plus Telefunken E88CC. 
size]

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #225 of 412
New tube in the Ember at the moment. Mullard ECC81 Yellow lable from '63. Added wonderful imaging and stereoperspective. Wonderful highs and mids....a bit suspect(loose, not very good defined) low end at the moment, but the tube has only been in for 2-3 hours, lets see how the week pans out with this tube:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back