Project Sunrise/PS2 Tube Rolling Thread (and maybe even Project Horizon and Project Ember)
post-9491060
Post #166 of 410

geetarman49

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
64
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Posts
775
Likes
64
Quote:
So I got some 6N1Ps for my PSII and I can't get it to bias correctly - no matter how low I put the bias voltage trimpots it always reads high - anyone else have this problem? is it alright if they run with voltage high?

i'll try to test mine later in the day ...
 
     Share This Post       
post-9491098
Post #167 of 410

bluemonkeyflyer

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
387
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Posts
1,850
Likes
387
Quote:
i'll try to test mine later in the day ...
My 6N1P and 6N23P (-EB and -Vi versions) tubes all biased accurately with my PS2. I checked with a DMM. I had a problem biasing a 12-volt tube until I realized I forgot to set the jumper to the 12-volt side.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9491529
Post #168 of 410

RAZRr1275

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
716
Reaction score
46
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Posts
716
Likes
46
I actually got a pm from Jeremy - He said that only 1/20 of the 6N1Ps that they test bias correctly but they still work and sound good running on a high voltage which is usually about 14v. 
 
     Share This Post       
post-9491974
Post #169 of 410

geetarman49

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
64
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Posts
775
Likes
64
Quote:
I actually got a pm from Jeremy - He said that only 1/20 of the 6N1Ps that they test bias correctly but they still work and sound good running on a high voltage which is usually about 14v. 

concur with the reading ... just finished testing my NOS 1985 voshkod 6n1p-eb  ... the lowest trim i can manage is ~14.0 v left channel and ~12.9 v right channel.   i'm not impressed sonically enough to bother using it so the issue is moot.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9494756
Post #170 of 410

cheaphifi

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Messages
254
Reaction score
15
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Posts
254
Likes
15
Quote:
concur with the reading ... just finished testing my NOS 1985 voshkod 6n1p-eb  ... the lowest trim i can manage is ~14.0 v left channel and ~12.9 v right channel.   i'm not impressed sonically enough to bother using it so the issue is moot.
 
if you're looking for good 6V tubes you can search GGM8/ECC86, or 6N27P, they're specifically designed for designed for low supply voltage applications, they are generally quieter than other 6V tubes
 
     Share This Post       
post-9497112
Post #171 of 410

geetarman49

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
64
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Posts
775
Likes
64
thnx for that, cheaphifi.   never thought about 6n27p, but a quick browse around shows that prices for a pr are creeping up into the price for a single amperex a-frame, dimpled-disc.  even tho i haven't tried the 6n27p, in my setup, i'd still opt for the amperex, but that's me ...
.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-9503765
Post #172 of 410

stupidmop

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2012
Messages
129
Reaction score
11
Joined
Dec 4, 2012
Posts
129
Likes
11
Quote:
Re: stupidmop
Zaerix is an English brand and most of their tubes were sourced from England, though from what I can tell the ECC801 valves were only made in Germany, so the tube should be of Siemens or Telefunken origin. It has standard grey plates so I presume these are from the early 80s. I can post a picture of the tube if you are interested?
 Thanks, I bought it anyways but it's a e88cc. I love my 6 volt tubes. Glad you made it through the park alive :)
 
Just got a Telefunken ECC85. Very, very nice tube. Just sounds right-musical. Excellent separation. Great timbre. Well balanced sound. Huge soundstage, really dig this one! I did get a 12AT7 Raytheon triple mica, yellow label. Unique sounding tube. Very nice low end and excellent mids. Highs are pretty good. Pretty big soundstage. I like it :)
 
 Are you guys rolling your 7 volt tubes in a sunrise ii? Mine doesn't have a 7 volt setting. Maybe it doesn't matter?
Edit: Nevermind :wink: Found my tube books. Also my zaerix is of German origin according to codes, good call daerron.
Has anyone tried a 6SN7 with an adapter? ppl do it with their cracks...I just may have to try :wink:
 
     Share This Post       
post-9517726
Post #173 of 410

chinook9

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
339
Reaction score
19
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Posts
339
Likes
19
Quote:
yes, generally that's true ... the avg 12v tube is less problematic than their 6v counterpart (in the ps II), but my best 6v tubes are sonically superior to any 12v tube in my collection (unfortunately it hits very hard on the wallet).  however, in my mind, the best bang for the buck still remains rca cleartop 12au7.
 
geetarman49, thanks for the reminder on the 6 volt tubes.  I had gotten carried away with the 12 volt black plate, triple micas and various variations of these tubes and completely ignored 6 volt tubes.
 
I had a white label Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 made in Heerland, Holland that I got for a very good price and so I tried it.  I was surprised how much I like it. I can't explain the sound but it is slightly different in a positive way, than any of my other tubes. 
 
To check out some other 6 volt possibilities, I purchased an Amperex 7308 white label, gold pin, made in New York, that I am looking forward to receiving later this week. 
 
I would like to know which is your favorite 6 volt tube.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9521267
Post #174 of 410

geetarman49

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
64
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Posts
775
Likes
64
Quote:
 
geetarman49, thanks for the reminder on the 6 volt tubes.  I had gotten carried away with the 12 volt black plate, triple micas and various variations of these tubes and completely ignored 6 volt tubes.
 
I had a white label Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 made in Heerland, Holland that I got for a very good price and so I tried it.  I was surprised how much I like it. I can't explain the sound but it is slightly different in a positive way, than any of my other tubes. 
 
To check out some other 6 volt possibilities, I purchased an Amperex 7308 white label, gold pin, made in New York, that I am looking forward to receiving later this week. 
 
I would like to know which is your favorite 6 volt tube.

hey, sorry for not responding sooner ... just got notified.  favorite 6 volter?  well, it's not so simple for me because of the various phones i'm using.
previously i've been quite happy with 1969 reflector 6n23p; i also enjoyed using tfk pcc88 (also from the 60's); also amperex ecc88 dimpled disc, a-frame; and right now nos tfk e88cc.  but this latest one is a bit of a mixed blessing - great linearity and a nice low end, but with my q701 the upper-mids can become borderline edgy with some music.  i don't regard that as a deficiency wrt the tube but rather highlighting an artifact of the phone ... so, yeah the tfk e88cc is technically probably the best 6 volter in my collection.  but the pcc88 (really a 7 volter that just happens to operate quite satisfactorily at 6 v) is probably the more musical & a lot cheaper ... hell, i like them all, but i'll probably switch back to 12 v next month just for kicks.
 
let me know how the 7308 turns out  ... i suspect it'll be extremely satisfying
 
     Share This Post       
post-9521374
Post #175 of 410

daerron

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
873
Reaction score
100
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Posts
873
Likes
100
I am also back on the Mullard 7308. Wonderful musical tube and lovely vocals!
 
I used to have a Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 in a Valve Audio Exclame 100W valve/solid state stereo amplifier which I thought sounded really great. PIty that I sold the valve along with the amp. Should have kept it...
 
     Share This Post       
post-9523102
Post #176 of 410

chinook9

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
339
Reaction score
19
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Posts
339
Likes
19
Quote:
hey, sorry for not responding sooner ... just got notified.  favorite 6 volter?  well, it's not so simple for me because of the various phones i'm using.
previously i've been quite happy with 1969 reflector 6n23p; i also enjoyed using tfk pcc88 (also from the 60's); also amperex ecc88 dimpled disc, a-frame; and right now nos tfk e88cc.  but this latest one is a bit of a mixed blessing - great linearity and a nice low end, but with my q701 the upper-mids can become borderline edgy with some music.  i don't regard that as a deficiency wrt the tube but rather highlighting an artifact of the phone ... so, yeah the tfk e88cc is technically probably the best 6 volter in my collection.  but the pcc88 (really a 7 volter that just happens to operate quite satisfactorily at 6 v) is probably the more musical & a lot cheaper ... hell, i like them all, but i'll probably switch back to 12 v next month just for kicks.
 
let me know how the 7308 turns out  ... i suspect it'll be extremely satisfying
 
Thanks for the response geetarman49.  I received the Amperex 7308 yesterday.  I've only listened to it a couple of hours (and I fell asleep part of that) and I'm certainly not disappointed. Its as nice as the my Bugle Boy Heerlan, Holland version and may be even better. 
 
I have been so surprised by these Amperex 6 volt tubes because they are so pleasing and yet very different from the Telefunkens.  I previously thought that the Telefunken E88CC was my most revealing tube but I may be hearing sounds with the Amperex 7308 that I never noticed before.  Specifically, one of my best and favorite recordings is Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pidgeon from Chesky/HD Tracks.  I was always impressed how well I could hear her breathing on this track but now I can also hear the brief sound made when she parts her lips to take a breath.  I expect this also says something for the Sunrise II and the modified Fostex I'm using.
 
I may have to try a TFK PCC88 if I can get a deal.
 
I'll post again if I'm able to come up with a useful description of differences I'm hearing between the Amperex and Telefunken 6 volt tubes.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9523107
Post #177 of 410

chinook9

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
339
Reaction score
19
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Posts
339
Likes
19
Quote:
I am also back on the Mullard 7308. Wonderful musical tube and lovely vocals!
 
I used to have a Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 in a Valve Audio Exclame 100W valve/solid state stereo amplifier which I thought sounded really great. PIty that I sold the valve along with the amp. Should have kept it...
 
Where was the Mullard made?  I haven't really studied them, but I recollect having seen a number of Mullard 7308s and I don't believe any of them were made in England. 
 
     Share This Post       
post-9524540
Post #178 of 410

daerron

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
873
Reaction score
100
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Posts
873
Likes
100
Quote:
 
Where was the Mullard made?  I haven't really studied them, but I recollect having seen a number of Mullard 7308s and I don't believe any of them were made in England. 
 
Interesting, mine definitely has a "Made in England" stamped on them at the bottom. Can try and post a photo if you would be interested?
 
     Share This Post       
post-9525068
Post #179 of 410

chinook9

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
339
Reaction score
19
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Posts
339
Likes
19
Quote:
 
Interesting, mine definitely has a "Made in England" stamped on them at the bottom. Can try and post a photo if you would be interested?
 
Apparently some of them were made in England. Thank you for the offer of the photo but that won't be necessary.  I will check around to get more information on the Mullard 7308 manufacture. At this point I don't own a decent Mullard.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9529342
Post #180 of 410

geetarman49

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
64
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Posts
775
Likes
64
Quote:
 
Thanks for the response geetarman49.  I received the Amperex 7308 yesterday.  I've only listened to it a couple of hours (and I fell asleep part of that) and I'm certainly not disappointed. Its as nice as the my Bugle Boy Heerlan, Holland version and may be even better. 
 
I have been so surprised by these Amperex 6 volt tubes because they are so pleasing and yet very different from the Telefunkens.  I previously thought that the Telefunken E88CC was my most revealing tube but I may be hearing sounds with the Amperex 7308 that I never noticed before.  Specifically, one of my best and favorite recordings is Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pidgeon from Chesky/HD Tracks.  I was always impressed how well I could hear her breathing on this track but now I can also hear the brief sound made when she parts her lips to take a breath.  I expect this also says something for the Sunrise II and the modified Fostex I'm using.
 
I may have to try a TFK PCC88 if I can get a deal.
 
I'll post again if I'm able to come up with a useful description of differences I'm hearing between the Amperex and Telefunken 6 volt tubes.

another nice tube is the dutch amperex pq ecc88 with a-frame, dimpled-disc getter ... but alas, mine is gone now.  i'm trying to resist grabbing a 7308 ... got to save my ducats for new phones ...
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top