Project Sunrise/PS2 Tube Rolling Thread (and maybe even Project Horizon and Project Ember)
Oct 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #256 of 412
  Just got a voshkod 6n6p & and an amperex 6dj8. So far I'm enjoying the russian tube, I think it has improved imaging over the stock tube and my TJ fullmusic 12au7. Mids are quite "sweet", I'd say vocals sound more lush. Currently enjoying Gabrielle Aplin on my Fidelio X1, great match

Edit:
I'm also hearing a boost in mid-bass and increased soundstage depth. Might be a bit too punchy with the x1..

I have about 25 tubes and and I really like about 20 of them, but right now the 6N6P is my favorite.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #257 of 412
  I have about 25 tubes and and I really like about 20 of them, but right now the 6N6P is my favorite.

It came highly recommended from Jeremy @garage1217 so I would expect as much haha. What headphones are you listening with?

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #258 of 412
Jeremy really know these Russian tubes and he's dead on with this one.  I only listen  to a DBV#3 Modified Fostex. This is a really good match.  The Fostex really bloom with the power provided by the Sunrise II.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #259 of 412
  Jeremy really know these Russian tubes and he's dead on with this one.  I only listen  to a DBV#3 Modified Fostex. This is a really good match.  The Fostex really bloom with the power provided by the Sunrise II.

I agree the Russian vintage tubes sound great with Sunrise II. My favorite combo is Telefunken E88CC with Ember.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #260 of 412
Curious about 12BH7 tubes on the Ember. Some of you have rather favorable reviews of this tube type of tube in the Ember, but Frans states that those tubes can damage the Ember. http://www.diyah.boards.net/post/3939

Am I missing something, or did I read too much into his post?

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #264 of 412
  I do  - I have the  Sylvania and RCA 12BH7s

Whats your take on them?

I have a grey plate and a black plate Sylvania (both reportedly from the 50s) and initially I was not impressed but I just took a quick listen to the grey plate and I was quite taken by the airiness and the openness of the soundstage...hard to describe but sounds very musical and has qualities I believe missing from the Russian tubes I really like.

I will do more listening this evening.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #265 of 412

Whats your take on them?

I have a grey plate and a black plate Sylvania (both reportedly from the 50s) and initially I was not impressed but I just took a quick listen to the grey plate and I was quite taken by the airiness and the openness of the soundstage...hard to describe but sounds very musical and has qualities I believe missing from the Russian tubes I really like.

I will do more listening this evening.

I prefer the RCA to the Syl but they're mostly change of pace tubes for me. The majority of time is spent on the russians, amperex/siemens/telefunken/mullard or westinghouse tubes.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #266 of 412
  I prefer the RCA to the Syl but they're mostly change of pace tubes for me. The majority of time is spent on the russians, amperex/siemens/telefunken/mullard or westinghouse tubes.

I'm pretty much like you.  After listening to them again, I realized they're better than I remembered but with my present headphones (Fostex T50RP mod DBV#3) I really like the 6N6P. 
I will be modifying some Superlux HD-681 in the next couple of weeks so we'll see if they change my opinion on any of the tubes.

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #267 of 412
I have the sunrise II and HE 500's and have rolled throughout about 20 different tubes and my favorite one so far is the Voskhod Rocket 6n23p (great well defined bass, nice midrange, detailed highs without being too bright) The other tube I really like is the Telefunken  e88cc nice balance all around but not quite as much bass punch and definition as the russian tube.
Another tube i tried that was really interesting was the EH 6h30pi it has a 800ma heater so I didn't know if it would work (an email from Jeremy said it would) Very detailed a little shy in the bass for my taste. The detail in this tube i found to be a little distracting in that i found myself focusing on this detail and then that detail and found my self dissecting the music instead listening to it.
The sunrise is a great amp, I had the bellari HA 540 which sounded good as well but the PSII allows much more tailoring of the sound to fit different cans

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #268 of 412
Can anyone comment on the Amperex Orange Globes with the Sunrise 2? 

I have the stock tube back in after enjoying the TJ Fullmusic for some time. I think I, like others actually prefer the stock tube at this point, but I'm always open to try something new and I've heard that the Orange Globes are a pretty sought after tube. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #269 of 412
  Can anyone comment on the Amperex Orange Globes with the Sunrise 2? 

I have the stock tube back in after enjoying the TJ Fullmusic for some time. I think I, like others actually prefer the stock tube at this point, but I'm always open to try something new and I've heard that the Orange Globes are a pretty sought after tube. 

I have them for the Ember.I enjoy them quite a lot

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #270 of 412
When I got my Sunrise II I went on a hunt and bought all the tubes I read about where many people like them. The Amperex Orange Globes were among them as was the TJ Full Music.

I believe the Orange Globes are good tubes and you can't go wrong with them but I would say it depends on your tastes and the headphones you use.

With my Sunrise 2, my favorites are the early 60s 6N23P-EV and the 6N6P. If you like what may be a slightly "bright" sound with extended highs I would suggest an early (60s or 70s) 6N2P. Some of these are seriously cheap.

On the other hand, these tubes share the character of the two tubes you already have. The Amperex Orange Globes would give you a chance to sample a different sound. And, don't be stuck on the orange globes. In my experience all the Amperex tubes made in Heerlen Holland share a similar sound. I believe most and possibly all of mine are 6 volt tubes.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back