Project Sunrise/PS2 Tube Rolling Thread (and maybe even Project Horizon and Project Ember)
Dec 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #287 of 412
  Yes, Singer is perfect. I suppose even cooking oil would do. I would not recommend gun oil as most have detergents in them. That would dissolve the lettering.

I wish I had a black light.

Cheers mate, unfortunately that oil method does not work at all; I would have to start digging up websites on tubes and compare them to identify them 
frown.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #290 of 412
Thanks for the impressions. I may have to pick up that triple mica black plate and give it a shot.

Merry Christmas!

The Sylvania might be a little hard to find. There are other triple mica black plates that are quite similar and preferred by some.  You might take a read of Joe's Tube Lore (he reviewed most of them) and see which of these you might want to go with.  There are a few of these at good prices on the bay right now.

I had pretty much switched to using Russian tubes, but now I am using Alessandro "Grado" headphones I am back to the American/European standards.  The Grado drivers seem to reveal strengths of these tubes that I had not perceived before.  I will be doing a lot more listening to tubes that I have not used for quite a while.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #291 of 412
1957 Sylvania 5751 Triple Mica Black Plate vs Mullard ECC82 vs GE 6DJ8 Smoked Glass

This comparison was run on my Ember driving DT880s with heavy EQ and the music was stronger. When I use EQ I use it like a Loudness button. I can get more punch at lower volumes, thus saving my 63 year old ears. The 5751 is the most punchy—dynamic—close to solid state of the three. It made the PSII explode and the Ember, DYNOMITE!! I will listen to it the most.

The 6DJ8 was tied with the Mullard and now moved to number 2, due to the 5751. It is a cross between those two. The Mullard (used to be my number 1) is now three. The mids and highs are on par, but now the bass is not. The margins between the three are very close, I think.

For kicks and grins I put the 5751 in the Starlight, which has Burr Brown 2132s in the output stage. BBs are known for their “laid back” sound, closer to tube like than other SS opamps. The 5751 sounded like the 6DJ8 with the punch of the 5751—interesting….

I have read all of Joes Tube Lore and below is a sentence from his opinion of the 5751:

If your system already pushes vocalists at you these guys might put them in your lap. But given that caveat I haven't heard a better 5751 in my system and I use it full time in my rig.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #293 of 412
  A question regarding the 5751 black plate mica spacers. I'm looking at the tube and I'm not sure where what they are??

The "black plate" refers to the vertical plate in the tube.  These are generally various shades of gray but can also be black or silver,

The mica is the horizontal "stabilizer" that helps hold everything in place. 

The triple mica generally signifies a higher quality tube.....often for the military.

Just do a Google image search on "triple mica black plate vacuum tube" for a picture.

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #295 of 412
   Got my "replacement" tfk. It's cryo-treated, which is snake oil IMO. These are nice tubes. However, I'm in $130 and not sure it's quite worth that...not sure. Neutral, Neutral, NEUTRAL :wink: with that wonderful tubeyness. Everything just sounds so dam smooth and alive(is that possible lol). SS is incredible, jus a hint of air. I'm falling in love, heck with what I paid :wink:

I bought a few 5751s. And I must say I'm very pleasantly surprised.
Sylvania 5751 blk plate triple mica: WOW! This is a definite keeper. Great low end, mids and his. Can't find a weakness to this one. It has the overdrive sound of a 12ax7 but is much smoother and dead silent :)
RCA command 5751: Nice. Typical darker rca sound. Falls way short of the sylvania but worth the $15 I paid.
GE 5751 black plates: Great tube. Bass impact is incredible and smooth, mids are wonderful, his are the only downside, not bad but not as good as the sylvania.

I also have a mullard 12ax7, but haven't spent enough time with it. I have about 20 more tubes I haven't listened to on the sunrise and will be rolling those in over the next few weeks/months. If the threads still alive I'll post my thoughts.

Best,
Mop 

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #296 of 412
Hello All,

I just got the Sunrise III. Came with JJ E88CC tube. Still burning it in but i am looking at other tubes that might go better with lower impeadence cans ( ATH-AD900X ). I find it get too loud too fast.
Currently looking at 12AU7 as i read it is a lower gain tube.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.    

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #298 of 412
Yea i have played around with the output resistance. I find that the overal tonaility becomes slightly darker but it also sounds less dynamic. The AD900X is a 38ohm phone so med res is nearly the same (32ohm). From what i have read that really hurts dampining factor. 

I just found foobar and the WASAPI plugin so now I can control the source vol without worrying about sq degrading. Currently have my Hifimediy Sabre at around 30% for comfortable listening. Would like a little more bass through...  

I know the JJ E88CC probably need a bit more time to "burn in" ( got about 30hrs on it so far ) but I dont think the low end will come in much more then it has. Could be wrong though. 
Which 12AU7 would you reccomend that keeps the mids and highs of the E88CC but has a bit more low end impact?

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #299 of 412
I found this tube Westinghouse 12au7/ECC82 black carbonized plates tube raised []-getter- best so far, good sound, stage for the 12au7's.  You might try a 6dj8 either a sylvania or amperex I have had good luck with these Amperex "Bugle Boy" 6DJ8 ECC88  Sylvania JAN 6DJ8/ECC88 Black plate.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #300 of 412

Users who are viewing this thread

Back