Project Sunrise/PS2 Tube Rolling Thread (and maybe even Project Horizon and Project Ember)
Sep 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #241 of 412

How does the Mullard compared to the Telefunken? I'm thinking about picking one up but not sure what to expect.

The Telefunken is darker to the extent that if I have a dark-ish headphone I can only listen to acoustic stuff on it because I start to lose the vocals in louder electric stuff. That said it's the more detailed and better imaging of the two and is overall sweeter sounding. Both tubes are pretty warm but the Telefunken mids are on the airier end while the Mullard is a bit more full sounding. Both have pretty rolled off treble and are a bit rolled off on the low end as well but the mullard is by far the more versatile of the two. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #242 of 412

The Telefunken is darker to the extent that if I have a dark-ish headphone I can only listen to acoustic stuff on it because I start to lose the vocals in louder electric stuff. That said it's the more detailed and better imaging of the two and is overall sweeter sounding. Both tubes are pretty warm but the Telefunken mids are on the airier end while the Mullard is a bit more full sounding. Both have pretty rolled off treble and are a bit rolled off on the low end as well but the mullard is by far the more versatile of the two. 

Thanks RAZRr, guess I'll have to pick up a Mullard to try out. OT but did you get your HD 650's yet?

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #244 of 412
Well I just got a Westinghouse 12AU7 in. If you're an HD650 owner, I'd consider it a must own tube. It's warm enough that it maintains the 650s nice body but it also speeds them up a bit so that listening to rock etc is easily doable even on high gain with bypassed input caps and the middle resistance setting. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #245 of 412
Been trying out my new Psvane 12AU7. Not bad, nice bass impact and fairly clear mids and highs. Don't know if it was worth the price though as I still prefer my Telefunken's...

Also been going back to my Amperex 12AU7's. I moved a bunch of crap around my room (including my wireless dongle) and tidied up some cables and the external noise/buzzing has essentially disappeared (it made the Amperex nigh on unusable before).

Also damn you RAZr, I just purchased a Westinghouse 12AU7A (it was pretty cheap) along with a Siemens 12AX7 and a Mullard 12AU7A.

Sigh, this is getting expensive...

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #247 of 412
  Been trying out my new Psvane 12AU7. Not bad, nice bass impact and fairly clear mids and highs. Don't know if it was worth the price though as I still prefer my Telefunken's...

Also been going back to my Amperex 12AU7's. I moved a bunch of crap around my room (including my wireless dongle) and tidied up some cables and the external noise/buzzing has essentially disappeared (it made the Amperex nigh on unusable before).

Also damn you RAZr, I just purchased a Westinghouse 12AU7A (it was pretty cheap) along with a Siemens 12AX7 and a Mullard 12AU7A.

Sigh, this is getting expensive...

Lol - I don't want to know how much I've spent on tubes at this point. The Amperex Orange Globes pair well with the 650s as well.

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #248 of 412
  Anyone know if a 7AD7 tube would work with the Ember?

ember, like the ps II, uses tubes from the dual-triode family.  the 7ad7 is a power pentode (single) ... well, unless you want mono, but even then it's incompatible with the ember cct.  personally, i'd love to see a project "double pentode" if only to use some great looking meshplate tubes.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #249 of 412
Wondering if I could get a tube recommendation here. I have the stock tube and a TJ Fullmusic 12au7 which I like, but I'm interested in what else is out there. I want something that will increase soundstage depth and improve imaging. Your thoughts? 
redface.gif

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #250 of 412
  Wondering if I could get a tube recommendation here. I have the stock tube and a TJ Fullmusic 12au7 which I like, but I'm interested in what else is out there. I want something that will increase soundstage depth and improve imaging. Your thoughts? 
redface.gif

I've found that the Amperex 12AU7 sounds quite airy/open (which I guess doesn't necessarily translate into soundstage). 

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #251 of 412
  No secret I am a fan of the 12bh7 / 12bh7a, but I recently have been toying with their less common brother, the 6gu7 which is basically a 6v version. Outstanding tall bottle tube (tall for a mini 9 pin at about 1/2" taller than say a 12au7) and can be had for a couple of bucks per tube. To note, RCA Makes a clear top version.

Hi, can you say the max time i can use 12BH7 on the ember?

is it safe to use it 8 or 9 hours consecutively?

i noticed that 6n1p have also a 600mA heater current (like 12BH7), are these tubes are really the same consumption in current?

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #252 of 412
I have about 50* hours with the psvane 12au7.  Switching b/w this and the stock voskhod 12ax7.  The psvane has a wider sound stage, more detail, better highs, without giving up bass, and making mids more clear/punchy.  Will be rolling with JAN Sylvania 7308, Reflector 6N23P-EV, Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe A, and Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 Bugle Boy. Impressions coming.  So far the project sunrise with psvane 12au7 is my favorite combo when paired with hd650's and lcd 2's.  *Note these are dark headphones that i think benefit from slightly bright/revealing tubes.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #253 of 412
redface.gif

I have tried over 30 tubes in my Sunrise II and Ember; vintage and current production. My all time favorite is a vintage NOS/NIB Telefunken E88CC. It sounds "just right" to my "ears and gears." YMMV, etc.

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #254 of 412
  I have about 50* hours with the psvane 12au7.  Switching b/w this and the stock voskhod 12ax7.  The psvane has a wider sound stage, more detail, better highs, without giving up bass, and making mids more clear/punchy.  Will be rolling with JAN Sylvania 7308, Reflector 6N23P-EV, Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe A, and Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 Bugle Boy. Impressions coming.  So far the project sunrise with psvane 12au7 is my favorite combo when paired with hd650's and lcd 2's.  *Note these are dark headphones that i think benefit from slightly bright/revealing tubes.

Look forward to hearing your perceptions of these tubes.  I have a number of the tubes you mention.

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #255 of 412
Just got a voshkod 6n6p & and an amperex 6dj8. So far I'm enjoying the russian tube, I think it has improved imaging over the stock tube and my TJ fullmusic 12au7. Mids are quite "sweet", I'd say vocals sound more lush. Currently enjoying Gabrielle Aplin on my Fidelio X1, great match

Edit:
I'm also hearing a boost in mid-bass and increased soundstage depth. Might be a bit too punchy with the x1..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back