Project: stereo in the headphones.
Apr 17, 2010 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

acvtre

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe, and I say maybe, I've got to sell my stereo due to not so much space and I can't find, and I won't find, a good positioning.
I was wondering if it's possible to find a good headphone amp, headphone combo in order to have a little stereo near the ears, do you know what I mean?

In order words, I want to forget the stereo with a really good combo that won't remind me that the stereo is so much better in certain qualities, such as sterephonic effect etc etc.

Hope you can help.

P.S.: I already have a source and a DAC. I coud spend about 200€ and, if the akg K240 mkII, that I own, wouldn't be good enough, I could spend 350€/400€.

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 11
Buy a decent pair of headphones and you'll be fine. How decent will depend on how much you can spend. Welcome to Headfi. Sorry about your wallet.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy a decent pair of headphones and you'll be fine. How decent will depend on how much you can spend. Welcome to Headfi. Sorry about your wallet.

As you can see I'm not new to head-fi adn it's not true that a decent pair of headphones would be enough, because I'm searching the caracterstics of the stereo sound in the headphones and it's really hard to find.
Any suggestion?

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 11
So what you're looking for is sound stage, right? Open headphones would be best for that. I don't know which would be top picks for your price point though.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 11
If you want speaker-like presentation there are a couple of options: the first is headphones that 'physically' model speaker like presentation. Ways of doing this are increasing the space from the drivers to your ear. Another is by angling the headphone drivers so that the sound isn't going into your ear-canal directly but pointing front-to-back.

Good headphones to get would be something with angled drivers. I'm thinking maybe Audio Technica AD700 or AGK K701. Add crossfeed (which means you hear sound intended for each stereo speaker in both ears - with delay and / or volume attenuation) and you get a much more stereo-speaker like effect.

Another option is to use DSP or computer modelled virtualisation technique that simulates spekers through headphone. Dolby Headphone is an affordable one. You can either use a receiver with it built in or software versions are available for computers. To best replicate stereo speakers I would recommend Dolby Headphone in stereo mode, with no upmixing to 5.1 (which you'll see recommended in the computer forum). With the right set of headpohones it can sound very much like sitting in front of a great set of perfectly placed stereo speakers.

To get stereo soundstage info coming through using Dolby Headphone in stereo you don't want angled drivers on the headphones and the more accurate and detailed the headphones are the better. I'm getting great results with my Goldring NS1000s, Goldring DR150s and my Sennheiser HD600s. Until recently I hadn't found IEMs I liked for Dolby Headphone but my new IE6s seem to do a reasonable job (yet to undertake really extensive testing).

I personally prefer the virtualisation option, as it gets me closer to that "close your eyes and you're there feeling you can get with a good set of speakers.

Sorry - I'm not familiar with the k240 rev 2 so don't know which option would suit it.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want speaker-like presentation there are a couple of options: the first is headphones that 'physically' model speaker like presentation. Ways of doing this are increasing the space from the drivers to your ear. Another is by angling the headphone drivers so that the sound isn't going into your ear-canal directly but pointing front-to-back.

Good headphones to get would be something with angled drivers. I'm thinking maybe Audio Technica AD700 or AGK K701. Add crossfeed (which means you hear sound intended for each stereo speaker in both ears - with delay and / or volume attenuation) and you get a much more stereo-speaker like effect.

Another option is to use DSP or computer modelled virtualisation technique that simulates spekers through headphone. Dolby Headphone is an affordable one. You can either use a receiver with it built in or software versions are available for computers. To best replicate stereo speakers I would recommend Dolby Headphone in stereo mode, with no upmixing to 5.1 (which you'll see recommended in the computer forum). With the right set of headpohones it can sound very much like sitting in front of a great set of perfectly placed stereo speakers.

To get stereo soundstage info coming through using Dolby Headphone in stereo you don't want angled drivers on the headphones and the more accurate and detailed the headphones are the better. I'm getting great results with my Goldring NS1000s, Goldring DR150s and my Sennheiser HD600s. Until recently I hadn't found IEMs I liked for Dolby Headphone but my new IE6s seem to do a reasonable job (yet to undertake really extensive testing).

I personally prefer the virtualisation option, as it gets me closer to that "close your eyes and you're there feeling you can get with a good set of speakers.

Sorry - I'm not familiar with the k240 rev 2 so don't know which option would suit it.

The virtualisation for me it's impossbile and I would prefer an open headphone, I was thinking about sennheiser hd600.

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly do, and here is a good option to consider IMHO: Not Now Mom, I’m Busy! - There, I Fixed It - Epic Kludge Photos

i gotta admit - that's funny. but it ain't too far from a k1000.
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by acvtre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The virtualisation for me it's impossbile and I would prefer an open headphone, I was thinking about sennheiser hd600.

Well - the next step down might be something like this: HeadWize - Project: An Acoustic Simulator for Headphone Amplifiers by Chu Moy

Crossfeed is a bare minimum IMO if you want speaker like presentation.

HD600s are fine headphones but they don't have the most speaker-like headstage I've heard (without virtualisation).

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well - the next step down might be something like this: HeadWize - Project: An Acoustic Simulator for Headphone Amplifiers by Chu Moy

Crossfeed is a bare minimum IMO if you want speaker like presentation.

HD600s are fine headphones but they don't have the most speaker-like headstage I've heard (without virtualisation).

Following this concept, I think the meieraudio amp are the best, since I heard they have a great crossfeed. But can the crossfeed alter the SQ in anyway?

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 11
A bad crossfeed circuit could make a mess of things. Firstly the delay and volume attenuation has got to sound right. It they're off it's a bad idea.

Secondly - you don't want detail information to be lost - attenuated perhaps - but you still want it to be there.

I've only used PC based crossfeed so can't personally recommend amps with it or crossfeed boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back