Project Ember Tube Rolling
Apr 12, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #2,881 of 3,354
  Anyone try the ZMF Atticus or Eikon with the Project Ember 2?

I've heard of some people using them with the Sunrise, so I'd be surprised if the Ember was a bad match. In general, the Atticus is supposed to be pickier than the Eikon about what amps pair best. Also, many say that the absolute best match is an OTL amp.

I'm in the same boat as you, I think. One of those two will be my next headphones. I just need to hear them first and restrain my hand from reaching for my wallet until that happens.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,883 of 3,354
Hopefully one or will be at the Seattle Spring meet early next month and I can give them a listen with the Ember.

If so, I'll post my impressions here.

I could try my Ember 2 with my Eikon.  My guess is that since the Ember handles the HD650 and HD800 so well that it will handle the Eikon just as well.  So far, I've only used the Eikon with Ragnarok... which is an incredible combo.

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #2,884 of 3,354
  In case anyone is on the hunt for Visseaux...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-of-Visseaux-Vacuum-Tubes-Type-6J5G-/272621179445?hash=item3f797d1235:g:G0EAAOSwA29Y5oCK

Just received a pair of Super Silvertone 6P5G from this E-Bay seller that has the pair of used 'V's for sale.

The tubes were nicely packed and results on my 2 testers confirmed similar readings (close enough) as was advertised in the listing.

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #2,885 of 3,354
I am having an unexpected good experience with a Raytheon VT231 that I bought long time ago. At the time I thought it lacked bass, but after listening to it with kameleonized HD650, the result is outstanding. There is plenty of deep clean bass. I suspect the headphones I used in the past rolled the bass too early and I did not appreciate it. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #2,886 of 3,354
  I am having an unexpected good experience with a Raytheon VT231 that I bought long time ago. At the time I thought it lacked bass, but after listening to it with kameleonized HD650, the result is outstanding. There is plenty of deep clean bass. I suspect the headphones I used in the past rolled the bass too early and I did not appreciate it. 

Yes, these Raytheon 6SN7 / VT-321 are great sounding tubes! This version has some added support rods (very quiet) and the anchor on the base, made for the US Navy.

These are my go to 6SN7's.

My favorites tubes for the Garage 1217 amp (in no particular order) at least for NOW!

Raytheon 6SN7 / VT-231
National Union 6F8G / VT-99 (or the Tung Sol version)
Visseaux 6J5G
Fivre 6C5G
Super Silvertone 6P5G (new for me yesterday)

Very good but haven't used in some time:

Amperex (Heerlen production) 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 and 12AU7

I have some National Union NOS 6L5G arriving today
blink.gif
so we'll see how they sound............

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #2,887 of 3,354
Yes, these Raytheon 6SN7 / VT-321 are great sounding tubes!This version has some added support rods (very quiet) and the anchor on the base, made for the US Navy.

These are my go to 6SN7's.

My favorites tubes for the Garage 1217 amp (in no particular order) at least for NOW!

Raytheon 6SN7 / VT-231
National Union 6F8G / VT-99 (or the Tung Sol version)
Visseaux 6J5G
Fivre 6C5G
Super Silvertone 6P5G (new for me yesterday)

Very good but haven't used in some time:

Amperex (Heerlen production) 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 and 12AU7

I have some National Union NOS 6L5G arriving today :blink: so we'll see how they sound............

The Raytheon are really excellent. I'm surprised more people aren't interested in them. The normal 6SN7GT is just as good as the VT-231. Make sure you get the one with the thin black plates (like in the pic). The other version isn't as good.

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #2,894 of 3,354
  Many people in this thread bought them from the same seller (I think I bought the last pair). After that, it has been harder to find a decently priced pair, but sometimes they pop up on eBay.

Yep just looked up my eBay purchasing history-August 2015 I bought the first pair for use in Ember for £60. Two to three times the price now, unfortunately.

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2,895 of 3,354
Now I have to check which 6SN7 variant I have. VT-231 doesn't ring a bell... But the one I have is my favorite single tube source. Mostly listening to two tube setup now.

VT-231 is the military designation for the 6SN7.

As Astral Abyss pointed out, there may not be a difference between 6SN7's made at the same time, with the same construction with or w/o the VT- 321 designation.

Other than looking for a pair of Visseaux 6J5G (there is a pair on E-Bay ending soon) what pairs are you using now in your Ember?

EDIT: YIKES..........The pair of V's on E-Bay are now at $86.............and they don't look to be lightly used or NOS!  A rokkie bidder with a feedback of '2' is bidding up the price long before the end of the auction making it more costly in the end!

I did buy a pair of tubes from this E-Bay seller last week and they were as advertised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back