Project Ember Tube Rolling
Apr 19, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #2,896 of 3,354
A friend here in Stockholm let me borrow a 6n6p-ir tube. Another great tube, much better sounding than regular 6n6p, especially in bass definition and extension. I just looked on ebay and they are relatively cheap. The advantage of these Russian tubes is that they pick very little EMI.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #2,897 of 3,354
  A friend here in Stockholm let me borrow a 6n6p-ir tube. Another great tube, much better sounding than regular 6n6p, especially in bass definition and extension. I just looked on ebay and they are relatively cheap. The advantage of these Russian tubes is that they pick very little EMI.

Actually, I think this has become my favorite tube with the Ember, even when compared to the Visseaux. Instrument separation with the HD650 is spectacular!

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #2,899 of 3,354
Check with Jeremy at Garage1217. He sells a 6n6p with a gold grid for $19.99-may be the same tube as the ir version? I'm also curious to know if it is the same tube.                    

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #2,900 of 3,354
  Check with Jeremy at Garage1217. He sells a 6n6p with a gold grid for $19.99-may be the same tube as the ir version? I'm also curious to know if it is the same tube.                    

No, it is not. The 6n6p is an earlier version. I used to have one but the bass was a bit too soft and undefined. The ir version keeps it very controlled. Both cost pretty much the same I believe, although I am borrowing this one at the moment from a friend.

I found some impressions in one of the Little Dot threads. The wording "may" be a bit over the top for my taste, but I think overall I agree with the differences they describe between the 6n6p and the 6n6p-ir (look at post 3007):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/3000#post_9823694

Note that in that thread they describe the effect of the 6n6p-ir as a power tube...not our case anyhow.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #2,901 of 3,354
While I don't have an Ember. I do own a Sunrise III. My normal tube has been a 12BH7 Electro-Harmonix Gold Pin. This tube has zero background noise. Very black. 

I recently grabbed a 12AX7 The Fisher. Which is made by Amperex Philips in their Holland plant. It sounds great but has background noise. I am wondering if any of you who have a 12AX7 Amperex Bugle Boy have any background sound issues. Debating on buying one.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #2,906 of 3,354
The 6n6p I have from Jeremy may have Gold grids but they are partially covered by a grey discoloration. They also have a 1 or I followed by a pentagram and 77 below the 6n6p. Good tube. But I have others I like better.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #2,907 of 3,354
Have you ever used tubes in the past? I imagine the answer is no. While you may be able to detect a difference between each tube used and you should considering all the different tubes your using i.e. 12at7, 6dj8,12au7, etc. My first question is. Where did you purchase you NOS tubes? Some of the ink makes me think you may not have the real deal. 2nd. Are the tubes New (never been used)

Tubes take about 100 hrs of playing time to be properly evaluated especially many of your NOS tubes like Amperes, Radiotechnique, Mullards, Phillips of holland. It takes any tube 3 minutes to warm up so your evaluations at 10 minutes , or 30 minutes if they were new will not reveal the true nature of the tube. Hopefully that tube is actually being used in that configuration. Bravo makes a headphone amp that uses a tube, but the tube really has no impact. Good luck

Paulc

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #2,909 of 3,354
If any of you need a recommendation on getting tubes that are the real deal the Upscale Audio is the place. Kevin Deal owner

With Kevin Deal, you get what he says you are getting and yes, at top $$$! Same for Tube World and Brent Jesse IMO. Top $$$ but no bait and switch. Folk in Europe seem to find pretty good tube (valve) offerings from Langrex.

I have no affiliation with any of these sellers just as a customer.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #2,910 of 3,354
My plan from the start was to buy from Upscale Audio ( https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/amperex-bugle-boy-12ax7-ecc83-made-in-holland?variant=22168659653 ). Saw a deal on eBay for three 12AX7s from the same plant. I figured I would test and compare them. Once I get the three from ebay two of them I could not get the bias to set under 20VDC with a multimeter. The third has a slight background static. I was just wondering if the 12ax7 amperex BB had a similar background noise. All tubes were tested/listened to after 30min of warm up time. I already contacted the eBay seller and mentioned the issues I had. Was promptly sent a full refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back