Project Ember Tube Rolling
Apr 7, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #2,866 of 3,354

I bought a quad of the Fivre 6C5G from that E-seller. They were pretty closely matched and sound very nice. The Zenith has 2 of the 3 that are fairly close tube to tube but all 3 aren't at all bad by any means.

With the Fivre tubes you get OEM box and cool stickers showing taxes paid (the Italians can even make a tax sticker look like art!) 
wink_face.gif
......not that the box or stickers have ANY bearing on the sound.............just part of the visuals!

Thanks! I got the Fivre, in more ways than one. 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #2,870 of 3,354
Yeah, I also have already a good pair of Visseaux. But to be honest with the HD650 (+ Kameleon filter), I find myself using more often the Ken-Rad 7193's or my Sylvania Bad Boy than the Visseaux. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #2,871 of 3,354
  Yeah, I also have already a good pair of Visseaux. But to be honest with the HD650 (+ Kameleon filter), I find myself using more often the Ken-Rad 7193's or my Sylvania Bad Boy than the Visseaux. 

I am intrigued by the Kameleon filter but have not seen my hp listed, AQ Nighthawks.

Between the Vissuaeux 6J5G, Fivre 6C5J, NU 6F8G and various 6 volt 9 pin & 12A versions, I am thrilled with the sound even w/o an additional Garage 1217 upgrade. I'll be looking forward to giving the Super Silvertone 6P5G's a listen early next week to see how they sound!

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #2,872 of 3,354

I am intrigued by the Kameleon filter but have not seen my hp listed, AQ Nighthawks.

Between the Vissuaeux 6J5G, Fivre 6C5J, NU 6F8G and various 6 volt 9 pin & 12A versions, I am thrilled with the sound even w/o an additional Garage 1217 upgrade. I'll be looking forward to giving the Super Silvertone 6P5G's a listen early next week to see how they sound!

Those tubes you have are very special. Also not so many people have tried the 6F8/6C8 tubes and they are very good, in many cases better than the similar 6SN7. Did you ever try the Frankember? I have re-discovered it recently, and it gives the largest soundstage of all my tubes, it is almost ridiculous! :) At 10 bucks per piece is quite a nice sounding tube. Bass can be a bit overwhelming with certain types of music though.

I got one of the Kameleon prototypes from the designer, relatively cheap with two filter modules included. The effect is remarkable in my opinion. People may think that I am trying to justify my investment (150 EUR with the two filter modules), but the truth is that it has a much stronger effect (for good!) than (changing) tubes can possibly provide. I cannot listen to my HD650 unfiltered anymore, there is something missing in the bass without the filter. The Garage 1217 version is admittedly a bit on the expensive side though.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #2,873 of 3,354

Those tubes you have are very special. Also not so many people have tried the 6F8/6C8 tubes and they are very good, in many cases better than the similar 6SN7. Did you ever try the Frankember? I have re-discovered it recently, and it gives the largest soundstage of all my tubes, it is almost ridiculous! :) At 10 bucks per piece is quite a nice sounding tube. Bass can be a bit overwhelming with certain types of music though.

No, I have not tried the 7193 "Franken-tubes". I would need a 'Franken' adapter to give them a try. I'll see what the 6P5G'ssound like as I can use the same adapter as the 6J5 and 6P5 & 6L5. Some of the folks who used to be regulars here are now over at the Feliks Elise or Euforia sites and seem to enjoy these tubes in that amp as well as the Ember!

I got one of the Kameleon prototypes from the designer, relatively cheap with two filter modules included. The effect is remarkable in my opinion. People may think that I am trying to justify my investment (150 EUR with the two filter modules), but the truth is that it has a much stronger effect (for good!) than (changing) tubes can possibly provide. I cannot listen to my HD650 unfiltered anymore, there is something missing in the bass without the filter. The Garage 1217 version is admittedly a bit on the expensive side though.

I may send the folks at Garage 1217 an email and inquire about using the Kameleon with the Nighthawks.

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #2,874 of 3,354

I tried a friends Nighthawks a few weeks ago and found them quite nice but a little to polite for me with the Ember but with a brighter amp like the Asgard2 it was quite good.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #2,875 of 3,354
  I tried a friends Nighthawks a few weeks ago and found them quite nice but a little to polite for me with the Ember but with a brighter amp like the Asgard2 it was quite good.

I agree that with the OEM hybrid pads, that may have been on the original NH you tried, are WAY too polite! I was going to return my pair of NH until I tried the 2 other AQ pads, Protein Leather (aka Boost) and Microsuede (aka ultrasuede)...............Those pads turned the NH into keepers for me with a much needed degree of clarity and detail. It really brought them to life.

In the past week I have used dual Fivre 6C5G, National Union 6F8G and tonight back to the dual Visseaux 6J5G after not using the V's for a few months. I needed to switch back to the Protein Leather pads as they were actually too bright for me using the Microsuede pads and dual V's.

The current Nighthawk Carbon (and NightOwl) ship with these 2 new pads so they knew they needed a change from the original version pads.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #2,876 of 3,354

I agree that with the OEM hybrid pads, that may have been on the original NH you tried, are WAY too polite! I was going to return my pair of NH until I tried the 2 other AQ pads, Protein Leather (aka Boost) and Microsuede (aka ultrasuede)...............Those pads turned the NH into keepers for me with a much needed degree of clarity and detail. It really brought them to life.

In the past week I have used dual Fivre 6C5G, National Union 6F8G and tonight back to the dual Visseaux 6J5G after not using the V's for a few months. I needed to switch back to the Protein Leather pads as they were actually too bright for me using the Microsuede pads and dual V's.

The current Nighthawk Carbon (and NightOwl) ship with these 2 new pads so they knew they needed a change from the original version pads.

Wish I knew about the pads before
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back