Project Ember Tube Rolling
Apr 1, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,836 of 3,354

I was fortunate enough to snag some Tung Sol and KenRad 6F8G round plates before they (the TS) were going for crazy $$$.

I have not done an A/B for some time but found them pretty close in SQ.
I see your Faraday cage is copper foil. I took the cheap and easy route and went with basic fencing material and wire ties for my cage! It does, however, work as intended.

Your cage looks nice!

I just don't have the patience for crafting stuff. I got my cage to the point it was functional and called it good. I'll get some laughs if I take mine to a meet. 
beyersmile.png

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #2,837 of 3,354
  I would totally have a Visseaux pair myself, but since I was so late to the game the price now is absurd. I pulled the trigger on the Zenith instead, although I hear the Visseaux has more clarity, which I dig. I just can't justify spending that much on a pair of tubes. C'est la vie.

Yeah, like a lot of tubes after some hype, they are going for too much $$$ now!!!

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2,838 of 3,354
I would totally have a Visseaux pair myself, but since I was so late to the game the price now is absurd. I pulled the trigger on the Zenith instead, although I hear the Visseaux has more clarity, which I dig. I just can't justify spending that much on a pair of tubes. C'est la vie.

I like my National Union 6J5G's and Tung Sol VT-94A's better than my Visseaux 6J5G. But they're all really good. You don't need the Visseaux to get that great 6J5G sound.

I've been eyeing some Raytheon and Sylvania 6J5WGT metal bases to do some experimentation. Probably soon...

I also have a pair of Tung Sol 6C5G's, the ones with the foil shields, and they are really excellent sounding. Very clear sound with good bass and smooth mids, but they have that hum like the 6F8G does and I don't have a cage for my Ember.

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #2,839 of 3,354
I also have a Ken-Rad 6C8G VT-163 coming sometime next week. I'll let you know how that sounds once it arrives and gets some burn-in. I should try 6C5G's as well. What adapter do they need?

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,840 of 3,354
Apr 1, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #2,841 of 3,354
I like my National Union 6J5G's and Tung Sol VT-94A's better than my Visseaux 6J5G. But they're all really good. You don't need the Visseaux to get that great 6J5G sound.

I've been eyeing some Raytheon and Sylvania 6J5WGT metal bases to do some experimentation. Probably soon...

I also have a pair of Tung Sol 6C5G's, the ones with the foil shields, and they are really excellent sounding. Very clear sound with good bass and smooth mids, but they have that hum like the 6F8G does and I don't have a cage for my Ember.

AA, you can build the cage for less than $5 of screening and a handful of wire ties!

The NU 6J5G round plate can still be had for way less than the Tung Sol version.

The 6C8G's are (for now) still sleepers as everyone is hunting for the 6F8G's. If you have an extra $2,000 you can own a stash of 100 TS 6C8G!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-lot-6C8G-TUNG-SOL-round-plate-black-coated-glass-Amplitrex-Tested-/192105040264?hash=item2cba5a4988:g:akcAAOSwMVdYGwF8

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #2,844 of 3,354
Yeah, it would make for a long day for you. Let me know if you happen to decide to come. You have some cool old old tubes and I have cool old tubes (6SN7W & Tung-Sol black round plates). It would be fun to swap for the afternoon.

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #2,845 of 3,354
I like my National Union 6J5G's and Tung Sol VT-94A's better than my Visseaux 6J5G.

I see the metal base 6J5GT are still inexpensive compared to the 6J5G. Do I really need more tubes when so many I already own sound so good? 
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,846 of 3,354

I like my National Union 6J5G's and Tung Sol VT-94A's better than my Visseaux 6J5G.

I see the metal base 6J5GT are still inexpensive compared to the 6J5G. Do I really need more tubes when so many I already own sound so good? 
confused_face_2.gif

A completely rational answer is, NO !
evil_smiley.gif

But this hobby/compulsion cannot in any way be labeled as rational. I swore when I got my first Sunrise III that I would not get into the tube buying death spiral. Well 50 tubes later...and getting an Ember to make it easier. I guess that I failed at that pledge to myself.

I guess 50 is a low number compared to some, but when I look at my box of tubes, most of which that never get used.. I look in the mirror and ask myself... why are you so strange!
gs1000.gif

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,847 of 3,354

Might be a good test too to see if the soundstage with the 6SN7 sized 6J5WGT tubes shrinks at all compared to the larger coke bottle 6J5G tubes.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #2,848 of 3,354

A completely rational answer is, NO !
evil_smiley.gif

But this hobby/compulsion cannot in any way be labeled as rational. I swore when I got my first Sunrise III that I would not get into the tube buying death spiral. Well 50 tubes later...and getting an Ember to make it easier. I guess that I failed at that pledge to myself.

I guess 50 is a low number compared to some, but when I look at my box of tubes, most of which that never get used.. I look in the mirror and ask myself... why are you so strange!
gs1000.gif

Well mandrake50, I KNOW I can quit anytime I want..............just..............need ...............1 more.................... 
eek.gif

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #2,849 of 3,354

confused_face_2.gif

This is the dilemma I deal with daily.

Might be a good test too to see if the soundstage with the 6SN7 sized 6J5WGT tubes shrinks at all compared to the larger coke bottle 6J5G tubes.

Yes, this is what I want to find out.  I just need to find some at the right price to experiment with so that I won't be upset if they end up not being anything special.

In other news, just bought an $8 1955 Tung Sol 6SN7GT (my favorite 6SN7 tube) off ebay.  It's the one that came out after they dropped the mouse ears but is still the same construction and awesome sound.  Guy claims it is 100%/95%.  That's a real score if true and it's not noisy.  

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #2,850 of 3,354
  In other news, just bought an $8 1955 Tung Sol 6SN7GT (my favorite 6SN7 tube) off ebay.  It's the one that came out after they dropped the mouse ears but is still the same construction and awesome sound.  Guy claims it is 100%/95%.  That's a real score if true and it's not noisy.  

$8 for a 50's TS 6SN7GT is a very nice snag! Here's hoping it is quiet and in the acceptable range for microphonics.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back