Project Ember Tube Rolling
Aug 30, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,521 of 3,354
If you do decide to get the dual adapter, I do recommend to open from the bottom first to loosen the wires from the black plastic enclosure. Mine came tangle up and I wasn't sure which way to turn without breaking the wire. So i loosen the wire from the bottom and turn it 90 degree from there. Good luck!

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #2,522 of 3,354
Is there any affordable alternative to the Visseaux 6J5G? I research the thread and found these: Zenith 6P5, NU 6L5G, Fivre 6C5G. Which one of these are on the same playing field as the Visseaux 6J5G?

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #2,523 of 3,354
  If you do decide to get the dual adapter, I do recommend to open from the bottom first to loosen the wires from the black plastic enclosure. Mine came tangle up and I wasn't sure which way to turn without breaking the wire. So i loosen the wire from the bottom and turn it 90 degree from there. Good luck!

Very good advice.That way you can see the wires are not getting overstretched.

I broke my first adapter when I was too vigorous turning the adapter.

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #2,524 of 3,354
  Is there any affordable alternative to the Visseaux 6J5G? I research the thread and found these: Zenith 6P5, NU 6L5G, Fivre 6C5G. Which one of these are on the same playing field as the Visseaux 6J5G?

I have some 6P5's and they sound identical to 6J5's. As I understand, Zenith didn't make their own tubes but they get good reports just the same and I have found them close to Visseaux.

The NU 6L5G is a lovely, rather warmer tube than the 6J5. Not as dynamic or as clear at the top, but is very musical and easy on the ear.

I don't know the 6C5.

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #2,525 of 3,354
  I have some 6P5's and they sound identical to 6J5's. As I understand, Zenith didn't make their own tubes but they get good reports just the same and I have found them close to Visseaux.

The NU 6L5G is a lovely, rather warmer tube than the 6J5. Not as dynamic or as clear at the top, but is very musical and easy on the ear.

I don't know the 6C5.

6C5G is supposed to be similar sounding to the 6J5.  Some of the guys earlier in the thread tried a few and seemed to like them.  I keep meaning to pick some up, but I haven't found a matched pair for a good enough price yet.

I have some National Union 6J5Gs from the 1930s that sound wonderful.  Every bit as good as the Visseaux.  Problem is with the NUs that there's a wide variety of them out there depending on the year they were made and I haven't heard them all to see if they all have the same musical qualities.  I picked up some Tung-Sol 6J5Gs that sound really good, but are lacking a bit on the low end bass (very little presence).  They were NIB though so they may just need to be broken in.

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #2,527 of 3,354

I have the NU 6L5G, Fivre 6C5G, and Viss 6J5G, all in dual tube setup. For me, the Viss 6J5 is the most natural and balance sounding jack of all trades out of the 3, it sounds like this tube is doing everything right no matter what the genre is (at least to my ear). The 6C5G is a predecessor of 6J5. They say they went out of production because of the cost, and was replaced by the 6J5 as they're more cheaper to reproduce. They're nice to look at though with the mesh inside the tube. Compared to the Viss 6J5, the Fivre 6c5g has same lovely mids, this tube goes very low and accentuate the bass extension, and has a slightly rolled off treble. One member commented that 6C5G goes very low that it would start to distort on his headphone (can't remember what it is), but I have no problem using the Fivre with my Hifiman 400i. The 6C5G also feels overall a bit slower (or mellow if that's the correct term?) than Viss 6J5. The NU 6L5G on the other hand is a little bit flat and less engaging in comparison to the Viss 6J5. It's only 20 bucks for matched pair on ebay so it might be worth a try :)

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,528 of 3,354
Thanks for your replies, I was having difficulty counting the pins on the 6CG7/6FQ7 adapter, I should have just googled it to see it is in fact 9 pins, woops!

Now I just need to find some Visseaux, Zenith 6J5's or Fivre 6C5G, if anyone has any good pairs they're willing to part with let me know

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #2,529 of 3,354

I don't know the 6C5.

Thanks for the good advice guys. I was lucky enough to get the same pair Levi already auditioned. There are various company that make them for Zenith like RCA and Sylvania so it could vary.

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2,530 of 3,354

Thanks for the good advice guys. I was lucky enough to get the same pair Levi already auditioned. There are various company that make them for Zenith like RCA and Sylvania so it could vary.

Another company that didn't make it's own tubes but which look and sound very similar to Zenith is Silvertone. 

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2,531 of 3,354

I have the NU 6L5G, Fivre 6C5G, and Viss 6J5G, all in dual tube setup. For me, the Viss 6J5 is the most natural and balance sounding jack of all trades out of the 3, it sounds like this tube is doing everything right no matter what the genre is (at least to my ear). The 6C5G is a predecessor of 6J5. They say they went out of production because of the cost, and was replaced by the 6J5 as they're more cheaper to reproduce. They're nice to look at though with the mesh inside the tube. Compared to the Viss 6J5, the Fivre 6c5g has same lovely mids, this tube goes very low and accentuate the bass extension, and has a slightly rolled off treble. One member commented that 6C5G goes very low that it would start to distort on his headphone (can't remember what it is), but I have no problem using the Fivre with my Hifiman 400i. The 6C5G also feels overall a bit slower (or mellow if that's the correct term?) than Viss 6J5. The NU 6L5G on the other hand is a little bit flat and less engaging in comparison to the Viss 6J5. It's only 20 bucks for matched pair on ebay so it might be worth a try :)

Of course! I thought I didn't know the 6C5G's but when you mentioned the mesh I remembered I have some Hytrons.

They are very warm, lush with deep bass, but pretty dull on top. Good for sleepy late night Jazz or church organ using a lot of bass pedal. Mine were prone to hum.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #2,532 of 3,354
Just out of curiosity what does one of those dual 6J5 setups cost anyway?

A pair of Visseaux 6J5's were around $120 last year, now it's around $200 / pair, likely due to their universal praise and scarcity... I'm still listening to mine as part of the best ever tube setup on my new amp. I got my pair of Zenith 6J5's for around $80 and sacrificed them for only $45 to the lucky buyer above. I have just checked and there are some top-notch deals for Zenith 6J5's on eBay right now, check it here.  The top result from GreenGirl613 is a seller I have bought from, and they're really nice about returns.

Plus about $30 for the adapter with shipping

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2,533 of 3,354
I took a gamble on these ones, managed to win them @ 75USD, no idea if they'll be any good but we'll see :)

I did see greengirl613's but I'm not clued up on measurements, is 9.9mA and 8.5mA considered a close match?

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2,535 of 3,354
  I took a gamble on these ones, managed to win them @ 75USD, no idea if they'll be any good but we'll see :)

I did see greengirl613's but I'm not clued up on measurements, is 9.9mA and 8.5mA considered a close match?

Funny story, I was bidding on these too. We should let each other know here when we are bidding on ebay so we don't outbid each other. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back