Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jan 3, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #1,426 of 3,354

Troubleshooting Multibit, Ember, Lyr2, M2.

Gonna have to consider interconnects and emails to Schiit and Garage1217.  

Another possibility might be grounding.  

Check mains Voltages, perhaps reversing the plug if you are two prong without the ground post. 

That PC could be the culprit, too. 

Being an Audiophile is being a DIYer.  Help is available though.  

The Bose Wave Radio was the "other" option when we decided to have better.

You WILL find the problem, the result will be wonderful.

Tony in Michigan 

Actually, Tony, that's great info.  Sometimes I'm so busy looking at the details that I miss the big picture.  In this case, I wasn't even thinking about all the "crap" I have plugged into that wall outlet, including a Pioneer receiver, UPS (running a PC, multiple monitors, network switch, printer, USB charger), and power strip running misc junk.  What I need to do is simply take the Ember over to my work room and plug it into the Bifrost over there (that's connected to a Wyrd), and where everything is connected to a power conditioner on it's own circuit.

Thanks for the virtual smack upside the head.

This will have to wait till tomorrow though... already 12:30am here.  Don't want to wake the missus and get a physical smack upside the head.

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #1,431 of 3,354
The only annoying thing at the moment is that the seller of the adapter is on vacation until the 5th, not processing orders at the moment. I will probably get the tubes much earlier than the adapter, there will be some self-inflicted torture by looking to the tubes on the shelf!

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,432 of 3,354
The only annoying thing at the moment is that the seller of the adapter is on vacation until the 5th, not processing orders at the moment. I will probably get the tubes much earlier than the adapter, there will be some self-inflicted torture by looking to the tubes on the shelf!

Been there- had to wait for 2 weeks. Then when the adapter did come I broke it trying to turn it and had to wait another 10 days for a replacement.

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #1,435 of 3,354
That hard to track down Little Dot 2/2 Headphone Amp looks like a Tube output ( based on it's output decreasing as impedance decreases ), just as the Schiit Valhala 2's output decreases to lower levels around 50 ohms.   The Little Dot 2/2's output is useful for the 300 & 600 ohm headphones with it's 300ma. output.  The Schiit Valhala 2 does close to 800ma. output by comparison.  

Seems to me that Atomicbob wrote about these little amps, a while back.  

I think Amazon has the Little Dot at $199 US.  

Tony in Michigan

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #1,436 of 3,354
Thanks Tony for that info about the LD.
I have one and it's great value for the price, though not as versatile or sonically as good for me as the Garage amps-but still a very nice sounding amp.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #1,437 of 3,354

Actually, Tony, that's great info.  Sometimes I'm so busy looking at the details that I miss the big picture.  In this case, I wasn't even thinking about all the "crap" I have plugged into that wall outlet, including a Pioneer receiver, UPS (running a PC, multiple monitors, network switch, printer, USB charger), and power strip running misc junk.  What I need to do is simply take the Ember over to my work room and plug it into the Bifrost over there (that's connected to a Wyrd), and where everything is connected to a power conditioner on it's own circuit.

Thanks for the virtual smack upside the head.

This will have to wait till tomorrow though... already 12:30am here.  Don't want to wake the missus and get a physical smack upside the head.

Best way to handle that is with a Furman Power Conditioner

I used to use the cheap little Wall Plug thingys, but it made my Dac CRAZY noisy, I swapped into a power conditioner an it really cleaned things up 

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #1,438 of 3,354
  That hard to track down Little Dot 2/2 Headphone Amp looks like a Tube output ( based on it's output decreasing as impedance decreases ), just as the Schiit Valhala 2's output decreases to lower levels around 50 ohms.   The Little Dot 2/2's output is useful for the 300 & 600 ohm headphones with it's 300ma. output.  The Schiit Valhala 2 does close to 800ma. output by comparison.  

Seems to me that Atomicbob wrote about these little amps, a while back.  

I think Amazon has the Little Dot at $199 US.  

Tony in Michigan

ugh you know what else, that's the one Hybrid Tube I have not tried, I was REALLY an I mean REALLY close to buying one a while back with like TONS of tubes from a DJ buddy of mine here who used his as a PreAmp out to power speakers 

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #1,439 of 3,354
Feliks in Poland and the Zen Taboo from the Midwest USA are two more Tube'd output headphone Amps.  Probably are more if I check those Bottlehead and Eddie Current guys.

So, I guess we have quite a few offerings in Tube'd output headphone amps.

[size=x-small] I haven't advanced to that[/size][size=x-small] level ( tubed output ) if you want to call it that, I love solid state since my Electrocompaniet days of the mid 1980s.[/size]

[size=x-small]I see these various Tubes as Equalizer devices  (maybe something like magic mirrors at carnivals that make people skinny or fat) of course Tubes make music sound pleasant ( or perhaps I should say: more pleasant ), which I hope the result will be  !    [/size]

[size=x-small]My excitement comes from the concept of a single dual-triode ( or a pair of single triodes ) doing their uniqueness , not a large group of tubes, each contributing it's own flavorings.  I'm not at all certain I could cook up a good result from such a large group ( 4 Tubes ).  [/size]

[size=x-small]Some outfit EAT ( European Audio Team ) is offering ECC88 and ECC803S Tubes ( New? ) along with what looks like an Aluminum heat sink device.  I can't discover their pricing.  These tubes are said to be Mil.spec dual triodes for Audio Uses.  [/size]

[size=x-small]Exploring the performing voice of each of the very many triodes made over these last 100 years seems a daunting task ( but affordable ), an exciting hobby in and of itself.  [/size]I wonder how many folks are participating ? ,  seems like enough to draw the manufacturing efforts of Garage1217 & Schiit.  There must be 100,000 Head-Fi posts on Tube rolling, maybe quite a few more as I quit counting way before I got to the beginning of these type posts. 

It's easy for me to feel that buying Tubes is (far) less financially painful than buying all those new headphones coming out, not to mention all the older ones.  Yet I read of plenty of folks that have owned, or still own, large numbers of expensive headphones, amps, cabling, IEMs, DACs !  

DIY Audio is back, I'm kinda lov'n it.  A nice hobby for an old-geezer like me. 

Tony in Michigan

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #1,440 of 3,354
  Feliks in Poland and the Zen Taboo from the Midwest USA are two more Tube'd output headphone Amps.  Probably are more if I check those Bottlehead and Eddie Current guys.

So, I guess we have quite a few offerings in Tube'd output headphone amps.

[size=x-small] I haven't advanced to that[/size][size=x-small] level ( tubed output ) if you want to call it that, I love solid state since my Electrocompaniet days of the mid 1980s.[/size]

[size=x-small]I see these various Tubes as Equalizer devices  (maybe something like magic mirrors at carnivals that make people skinny or fat) of course Tubes make music sound pleasant ( or perhaps I should say: more pleasant ), which I hope the result will be  !    [/size]

[size=x-small]My excitement comes from the concept of a single dual-triode ( or a pair of single triodes ) doing their uniqueness , not a large group of tubes, each contributing it's own flavorings.  I'm not at all certain I could cook up a good result from such a large group ( 4 Tubes ).  [/size]

[size=x-small]Some outfit EAT ( European Audio Team ) is offering ECC88 and ECC803S Tubes ( New? ) along with what looks like an Aluminum heat sink device.  I can't discover their pricing.  These tubes are said to be Mil.spec dual triodes for Audio Uses.  [/size]

[size=x-small]Exploring the performing voice of each of the very many triodes made over these last 100 years seems a daunting task ( but affordable ), an exciting hobby in and of itself.  [/size]I wonder how many folks are participating ? ,  seems like enough to draw the manufacturing efforts of Garage1217 & Schiit.  There must be 100,000 Head-Fi posts on Tube rolling, maybe quite a few more as I quit counting way before I got to the beginning of these type posts. 

It's easy for me to feel that buying Tubes is (far) less financially painful than buying all those new headphones coming out, not to mention all the older ones.  Yet I read of plenty of folks that have owned, or still own, large numbers of expensive headphones, amps, cabling, IEMs, DACs !  

DIY Audio is back, I'm kinda lov'n it.  A nice hobby for an old-geezer like me. 

Tony in Michigan

I really only wanted the EAT question sorry about that.
EAT is a company that takes ordinary and frequently very inexpensive  tubes   Chinese run of the mill tubes, they glue on their aluminum anodized heat sink jacket, says abra cadrabra  -this is a very fine, and  selected, expensive tube,  The pricing is absurdly high even if they do select them and I think part of their schtick..  You know some products made intentionally expensive so they can say it's  a  rare and expensive. 
If for some reason you want a similar  aluminum jacket  Brente Jessee at audiotubes.com has that kind of device for damping. If for some reason you need ultra low noise tubes e.g. in a phono stage check out,  RAM labs . He even has NOS selected and tested low noise tubes , none of his tubes is cheap but compared with EAT he's a bargain. He is Rodger Modjeski  BTW, He makes tube amps with unique  architecture, but I don't think he makes headphone amps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back