Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jan 2, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,412 of 3,354

Schiit Valhalla2 , a beauty of an Amp, nearly bought one myself, ideal for Sennheiser 300 ohm headphones and the 600 ohm Beyer.  

That's one, now where's all the rest?

The Valhala2 is not expensive, maybe $350 US, 4 Tubes, multi Voltage Mains, 800miliwatts output for the high impedance headphones, beautiful sounding, a popular Amp at Meets ( people line up to hear it ) and all 4 of it's tubes can be rolled ( which implies a rather high relative cost for Tube rollers ) .   

I still may own one of these things since I'm nearby and the USA cost is so Loooooow.  

Tony in Michigan

ps.  the Valhala2 power output sharply falls-off around 50 ohm impedance and below, it's for the high impedance headphones, a nice little Amp for your Chopin Liszt!

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #1,413 of 3,354
It is good that this amp is your destination amp.  I unfortunately still have upgraditis..  It Iis an illness that.is expensive and incurable in some cases     Part of this hobby.is getting to, where it   that last 5% and involves diminishing returns. .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #1,414 of 3,354
Richard51 looked up the review of the Zotl One and was impressed, until I got to the end and saw the price of 7500 pounds!  If you get it you have to let us know how it sounds. looks great.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/david-berning-zotl-one-preamp-and-zh-230-power-amp-hi-fi-80/

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #1,415 of 3,354
  Richard51 looked up the review of the Zotl One and was impressed, until I got to the end and saw the price of 7500 pounds!  If you get it you have to let us know how it sounds. looks great.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/david-berning-zotl-one-preamp-and-zh-230-power-amp-hi-fi-80/

I'm also curious as to how it sounds! 

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #1,417 of 3,354
Just ordered the Visseaux. Could not resist it any longer.

That's the way to start the New Year.
beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #1,419 of 3,354
Congrats to the both of you, I am sure you will love the Visseaux tubes, I just received my second set today and have them in now.  Ten minutes playing time and they sound sweet already.  Might have to order another adapter, to keep 6L5's in so just switch adapters., getting old need to conserve strength!  Now that I have the 700's not going to bother with Jeremy's 650 adapter filter.  Don't need it now, with the 700's.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,420 of 3,354
i am viscerally jealous of all of you now with all these visseaux ordering! god damn it!
redface.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #1,421 of 3,354
I've had this amp a week now and I just can't come to grips with how good it sounds.  

Someone help me understand something that's been bothering me.  My Ember is currently running off a Schiit Modi 2 Uber.  Sounds excellent, but I figured I'd go all in so I swapped in my Bifrost Multibit.  Didn't like the sound as much with Ember.  I don't get it.  I've had the Bifrost MB since it came out (upgraded my old Bifrost) and it's been connected to my Lyr all that time.  I have a good feel for the sound signature it has.  The Multibit was a huge improvement over my old Bifrost but hooked up to the Ember I felt it was a step back.  Sounds a bit harsh and sibilant.  Why?  Can't wrap my head around why I would love it on the Lyr 2 but not the Ember. 

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #1,423 of 3,354
  Yeah, a few weeks after I got the Visseaux's I stopped tube rolling, for now anyway. This setup does all genre's under the sun with such splendor and finesse

Which Visseaux's are the correct ones?  I noticed there are 6J5G/VT-94A and 6J5G/6J5GT for sale.  They have different specs.  And where does that guy keep his stash?  He sure has a lot of them...

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #1,424 of 3,354

Troubleshooting Multibit, Ember, Lyr2, M2.

Gonna have to consider interconnects and emails to Schiit and Garage1217.  

Another possibility might be grounding.  

Check mains Voltages, perhaps reversing the plug if you are two prong without the ground post. 

That PC could be the culprit, too. 

Being an Audiophile is being a DIYer.  Help is available though.  

The Bose Wave Radio was the "other" option when we decided to have better.

You WILL find the problem, the result will be wonderful.

Tony in Michigan 

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #1,425 of 3,354

Which Visseaux's are the correct ones?  I noticed there are 6J5G/VT-94A and 6J5G/6J5GT for sale.  They have different specs.  And where does that guy keep his stash?  He sure has a lot of them...

I believe Yitry is the one we've all bought them from. This is the one here. I think some sellers are able to stock up on tubes bulk from their source somehow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back