Project Ember Tube Rolling
Dec 21, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,306 of 3,354
Here are some of my quick thoughts on the Schiit Vali 2 an the Project Starlight 

the Starlight is POWERFUL, with stock tubes it adds a nice HEFT of sub bass, very SOLID low end the kind that REALLY makes the drums KICK, aside from that really powerful bass the mids an treble are fairly clean

The Vali 2 is a little different, it's got a nice touch of warmth to the mid range, which dips into the mid bass just a touch, so you get thicker vocals an guitars an a very beautiful upper mid range as well! 

Build quality though is better on the Starlight, in addition the starlight is also a blacker with a finer volume adjustment [oh an the Vali 2 TINKS when u plug ur headphones in] 

both have good sound stage, with adequate depth, good layering an width how ever, I do find the Vali 2 to have a quick dynamic shift 

So really :/ it's a tough call they are both excellent amps 

Oh I will say there is SOME EDM that does NOT play well with the Starlight an the Th X00 xD bass get's like WHOA that's A LOT to quick 

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #1,307 of 3,354
  'Try this to compare Vill's with Nat UNion and see if you prefer one over the other'

Hi Don
That sounds like one for later tonight with the lights dimmed. Will try both tubes and post in the early hours.
Cheers.
PS. Am looking forward to your comparison of the two 6l5's.

Hi again Don.
I very much enjoyed the music with both tubes through the HD650. The 6L5's give a great sense of the atmosphere, particularly at the beginning -wholly appropriate to the mood of the music. They also set the harp back a little in the sound stage, enhancing the presence of the live recording acoustic.
When it came to the upper registers though the Visseaux provided spine-tingling  realism to the imaging and detail. For instance, at 2.57' where the higher runs begin and continue for several bars and at 3.36' where more high runs, followed by the repeat of the main theme occurs the Visseaux bring out the plucking of the harp's strings with palpable clarity. The same in the final few bars. Overall, I prefer the Visseaux because of this, but the 6L5's are extremely good and do portray the ethereal warmth very well. Ultimately both are excellent tubes.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,308 of 3,354
Guys I have got lost with so many tubes discussed. I may order the 6J5 adapter after Christmas. Besides the Visseaux, is there a concensus on the "second" best all-rounder for jazz, blues and rock? :) the Visseaux are a bit steep.

I understood that the Pinnacle are good. What about those beauties that @connieflyer showed some days ago (Sylvania?)?

Thanks!

It's a tall order IMHO for a single tube to accommodate those three different genres at the level of  reproduced musical sophistication I suspect you are hoping to hear, and I doubt there will ever be complete consensus when it comes to tubes.
For what it's worth I would think Rock and big band Jazz will suit the Visseaux and probably also the Pinnacles, which are pretty lively, though not as gutsy as the Visseaux.
On the other hand the 6L5's should suit more intimate Jazz, including vocals and Blues really well. 
As an alternative you could always use your 'Bad Boy' as an excellent single tube compromise. There are also excellent Noval 9 pin  tubes too and ECC88 'Bugle Boy' is one I know and like very much and is pretty versatile in my set up to my ears.
This is based mostly on speculation on my part as I don't have the same kit as you, except for Ember, and I don't listen to Rock at all, I'm mostly Classical and some Jazz.
Cheers.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,309 of 3,354
Guys I have got lost with so many tubes discussed. I may order the 6J5 adapter after Christmas. Besides the Visseaux, is there a concensus on the "second" best all-rounder for jazz, blues and rock? :) the Visseaux are a bit steep.

I understood that the Pinnacle are good. What about those beauties that @connieflyer showed some days ago (Sylvania?)?

Thanks!

I'm using Zenith 6J5. Can't compare it to the Visseaux as I skipped getting them coz of the price but I can say that I love these tubes. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,310 of 3,354
How do you guys swap out your tubes for comparisons, Hot Swap or power down to swap them out ?

According to Jeremy all the tabs / adjustments are hot swap capable, I never asked about the tubes though and am curious 

to date I power down (just seems safer).............I have the ? in to Jeremy and am awaiting his answer

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #1,313 of 3,354
I was scrounging through my pile o' tubes and found a pair of NOS GE (branded for RCA) 6BL7GTs. Has anyone ever tried one of these in their G1217 or other amp? The 6BL7 is a dual triode with a 6SN7 pinout and looks like it has been used in audio applications before, but it appears to have mainly been used as a vertical oscillator in TVs.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,315 of 3,354

my Ember in B/W

What affect on the sound does the black and white have, with the lack of coloration?

(don't hurt me)

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,316 of 3,354
  Welcome fellow Michigander, I have had quite a journey with the Ember, thought of leaving for a "bigger" better" amp a couple of times, then someone like Howie13 or DecentLevi come up with a new combination, try it and stay with the Ember.  The amp is very versatile well supported and plenty of folks here an around the forums for help or info.  Hard for one person to try everything, so it helps when there are alot of us that will throw down a few bucks to try something else with the Ember.  I have an Ember original number 042 so have been around abit, Got the supercharger installed, tried lots of the small 9pin tubes, like most of them, then Jeremy at 1217 builds an adapter to use 6sn7 tubes with it.  Had to buy one tried it and loved it. Then I got myself a black glass Ken-Rad 6SN7 VT231 and I was in heaven, about that time another member here comes up with the dual tube FrankenEmber (we name the builds to be able to refer to them) these use the 7193 tubes, look cool. then someone comes up with and adapter for 6j5's and the race is on again, some I believe it was Howie13 finds these French tubes Visseaux 6j5's and swears by them, at the same time I found the6L5gt's and these are smooth and holographic love em.  Decentlevi gets the Visseaux 6j5's and I weaken.  Just got those and I think they are probably the best of all I have heard.  The really nice thng with the Ember it can roll so many different tubes it gives you equipment a slightly different sound, flavor just changing the tubes.  the other equipment while it is good it does not have the versatiliy that the Ember has.  What ever you decide and enjoy the company.  Just missed you at Ann Arbor they just had a meet over by the zoo a few months back also.  Farmington is not far from them nice to hear before you buy.

I have ended up with Ken-Rad 6SN7 VT-231 tubes in my MicroZotl2 amp and love the sound signature, specifically the bass quality and quantity.

I am looking at Ember II as my second amp and from what I can gather on this thread we can only use one 6SN7 vs a pair on 6J5 and 6L5,  curious which of the 6L5 or 6J5 you would recommend as an equal or upgrade to Ken-rad?

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,317 of 3,354
  I have ended up with Ken-Rad 6SN7 VT-231 tubes in my MicroZotl2 amp and love the sound signature, specifically the bass quality and quantity.

I am looking at Ember II as my second amp and from what I can gather on this thread we can only use one 6SN7 vs a pair on 6J5 and 6L5,  curious which of the 6L5 or 6J5 you would recommend as an equal or upgrade to Ken-rad?

If that's the Ken Rad I think it is you have one of the best regarded 6SN7 tubes for bass.
It's possible you may not be able to replicate it's sound unless you buy another one for Ember-and I know they aren't cheap.
Another option would be a Sylvania 6SN7 'Bad Boy'. They aren't cheap either (if it's genuine). There's lots of discussion about that in the Forums. It doesn't go as deep though it's still deep (that's why it was named 'Bad Boy').
The nearest I've heard in Dual Octals to your Ken Rad is the Franken Jr set up with an RCA 6F8G. (see this thread from # 1270). The one I have goes as deep as the Ken Rad and actually has richer, euphonic mids, though the treble is more attenuated. Overall, I find it better balanced than the Ken Rad, for me. Problem there is you need another adapter and I don't have any knowledge about any other 6F8G. They likely won't all sound the same, maybe not even the RCA's. It's pretty uncharted territory, though there may be some great tubes to be discovered.
There's a picture of the one I have in the thread at #1270.
If it was me, given the special nature of your Ken Rad, I would buy another one-though that might prevent you having fun rolling with Ember.
There are other people on this thread who have lots more experience than me with Octals and they may, hopefully, pick up on your question.
Good luck!
EDIT: I expect you know that Ember also takes a whole load of Noval 9 pins, as well as Octals. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,318 of 3,354
  I was scrounging through my pile o' tubes and found a pair of NOS GE (branded for RCA) 6BL7GTs. Has anyone ever tried one of these in their G1217 or other amp? The 6BL7 is a dual triode with a 6SN7 pinout and looks like it has been used in audio applications before, but it appears to have mainly been used as a vertical oscillator in TVs.

Heater current 1.5A. 
Better check with Jeremy on that before trying. 
Hope he says it's alright to use- it looks very interesting.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,319 of 3,354
  Heater current 1.5A. 
Better check with Jeremy on that before trying. 
Hope he says it's alright to use- it looks very interesting.

I noticed that while doing more homework on the type. I'm not going to risk it on the Sunrise.

The 6BL7 is a beefy-looking tube, that's for sure.

I guess if I want half the experience, I could use a 6DN7. It's basically half a 6SN7, half a 6BL7, and draws only 0.9A!

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,320 of 3,354

I noticed that while doing more homework on the type. I'm not going to risk it on the Sunrise.

The 6BL7 is a beefy-looking tube, that's for sure.

I guess if I want half the experience, I could use a 6DN7. It's basically half a 6SN7, half a 6BL7, and draws only 0.9A!

You could have bets on which channel you would hear. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back