Project Ember Tube Rolling
Aug 18, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #3,301 of 3,354
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vali-2-tube-rolling.793982/post-15600939

I don't know if anyone has tried the 7N7 or 7A4 tubes in the ember.

Ive used 7A4 and like them. I got an adapter from ebay seller: xulingmrs
Its the only adapter from her that isnt perfect. Which is why i dont use them much. She also sells an ecc88 - 6922 adapter that runs 6AG5wa pentodes in triode mode. They have a lot of mid bass and are kind of unique sounding.

Its nice ti see activity here. I have tried a ton of stuff, i just have a hard time quantifying it so i didnt write reviews.

I use a lot of 6N7 as well, and they are some of my favorites. I got a Visseaux 6N7 off of ebay for $35 and its really interesting. Tons of mids.

It should be noted i have single sided deafness so my ember plays dual mono so I'm sure there are Sonic qualities that I'm missing out on. Though I try to use it to my advantage because I can buy tubes that are imbalanced.

There are ton of nine pin triodes that will work with the Amber that are not on Jeremy's list of tubes. I don't know if there's a reason for that but ive looked them up and mathematically they work in ember. I'll try to post a list of them when I think of it. 6bs8 is one i like. 12bz7 is another. It can be pretty microphonic though.

Aug 18, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #3,302 of 3,354
I still check this thread from time to time. I still think this is the best hybrid tube amp for the money. I have rolled a TON of tubes through this amp over the years and though I never tried the 7N7 I have used multiple new and NOS 6N7's with adapter and a butt load of vintage tubes from the 1950's through early 70's. Honestly I always go back to 12AX7 or 12AT7 Telefunkin or Amperex. They just sound better to me than any other tube I have tried.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #3,303 of 3,354
There are ton of nine pin triodes that will work with the Amber that are not on Jeremy's list of tubes. I don't know if there's a reason for that but ive looked them up and mathematically they work in ember. I'll try to post a list of them when I think of it. 6bs8 is one i like. 12bz7 is another. It can be pretty microphonic though.

I think there are just too many to list, especially when including 7v heaters and adaptors.

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #3,305 of 3,354
Did anyone try variable gain tubes like ECC189 / PCC189? A very respected vendor listed them controversially as 6DJ8 / 7DJ8 equivalents http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Ive tried a couple. I "think" one was a GE and the other a Holland made Amperex. The Holland Amperex sounded better. Ive discovered other tubes i like more, so ive moved on. They were cheap which is why i tried it.

Ive had to move my office 3 times, and each time i move, the tubes i thought sounded great at the old location just dont have the same magic, and some other variety does. So i say give it a shot. It might sound awesome.

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #3,306 of 3,354
Here are some tube types that work with the Ember (version II or later for some of these) that arent on Jeremys list. They are 9 pin and dont need an adapter.

6BS8 - I've tried one and like it

12BZ7 - can be microphonic but can have real nice treble. Try to find the ones with longer black plates. They are a high gain 12AX7 i believe.

12FQ7

12AV7

6BZ7

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #3,307 of 3,354
Here are some tube types that work with the Ember (version II or later for some of these) that arent on Jeremys list. They are 9 pin and dont need an adapter.

6BS8 - I've tried one and like it
12BZ7 - can be microphonic but can have real nice treble. Try to find the ones with longer black plates. They are a high gain 12AX7 i believe.
12FQ7
12AV7
6BZ7

Are none of these true 12v heater ones that only work 100% in Solstice? As far as I know even on Ember/Sunrise you could hear some sound coming from e.g. 12SN7.

Also, did you try 6C8G? I am playing with some now and it seems that a Faraday cage is a must just like with 6SL7.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #3,308 of 3,354
Are none of these true 12v heater ones that only work 100% in Solstice? As far as I know even on Ember/Sunrise you could hear some sound coming from e.g. 12SN7.

Also, did you try 6C8G? I am playing with some now and it seems that a Faraday cage is a must just like with 6SL7.

None of these are true 12v that require the Solstice (as far as i know). Ive used them all successfully in my Ember.

I dont have a faraday cage (yet). I have eliminated a lot of noise by running a ground wire. Frans recommends grounding to the line out rca (I think), But i just screw a wire into the post next to the line out and it works just fine for me. I have the wire grounded to the wall outlet plate cover screw.

I like the 6C8G but there is noise on the left channel that i believe is just part of the tube design. It works for me because i can put the noise on my deaf ear. Sometimes I'll run it through my Fiio E17 on the line out and the noise is elimimated. I just think it reduces a lot of the tube magic so i dont really do it anymore. If you do go for these, anything with round plates right next to each other is good. I also have a Zenith with round plates on separate sides that i like a lot. But in general the ones with round plates next to each other i think sound better

I havent used the 6SL7, but want to. Have you tried them.

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #3,309 of 3,354
I dont have a faraday cage (yet). I have eliminated a lot of noise by running a ground wire. Frans recommends grounding to the line out rca (I think), But i just screw a wire into the post next to the line out and it works just fine for me. I have the wire grounded to the wall outlet plate cover screw.

I have not found a good grounding point in my home yet, but just attaching that post to a tall enough kitchen foil barrier around tube/amp works well for me (though it looks terrible of course).

I like the 6C8G but there is noise on the left channel that i believe is just part of the tube design.

I see, very curious! The few I tried so far are like you described: high-pitch noise on the left channel and buzz on the right channel. I suspect the left-channel noise is due to the top cap wire being attached to the left side and picking-up whatever signals/ripples.

If you do go for these, anything with round plates right next to each other is good. I also have a Zenith with round plates on separate sides that i like a lot. But in general the ones with round plates next to each other i think sound better

I got a few common ones, but if I am lucky I might be able to get the construction you described as well.

I havent used the 6SL7, but want to. Have you tried them.

Yes, tried a brown military Sylvania and an gray glass RCA - noticeable buzz on both channels (as expected from a large tube on a 70 gain) that was helped with a Faraday cage. I am not the sort of person to describe the sound in detail but they did sound good when caged. Might be worth trying just one if you already have an adaptor and plenty of kitchen foil :). The prices are not amazing. Please note I am using Sunrise and also as far as I remember had to bypass the capacitors in order to bias them (manually of course). Let me know if you would like me to retry those again, I only tried them briefly and moved on to other kinds out of curiosity and for pricing reasons.

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #3,311 of 3,354
Just ordered Project Ember 2 and come here to ask you good suggestion for tube, that is sounding nice and has no problem with driving planar headphones. TY in advance

Get the 6sn7 adapter and buy a VT 231 Sylvania alongside. Best tube ever!

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #3,313 of 3,354
If you like modded Porta Pros, the Russian 6H23N-EB tube in the Ember 2 works exceptionally well with them. Compared to the Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi, you gain tremendous vocal presence and treble detail along with better separation/staging and a very 'live' sound - acoustic music is just something else. Bass level is a little less than the 6H30Pi along with a slightly less solid/thick overall sound, but it is tighter sounding... The modded Porta Pros with 6H23N-EB in the Ember fed from a laptop with DFR and Schiit Loki is a sole setup I would bring to any headphone meet and blow minds... clean, detailed treble and gorgeous vocals with tight, yet organic sounding bass from a sub $50 set of headphones... mids more gorgeous than HD650 with treble closer to a TH-X00 Purpleheart.

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #3,314 of 3,354
If you like modded Porta Pros, the Russian 6H23N-EB tube in the Ember 2 works exceptionally well with them. Compared to the Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi, you gain tremendous vocal presence and treble detail along with better separation/staging and a very 'live' sound - acoustic music is just something else. Bass level is a little less than the 6H30Pi along with a slightly less solid/thick overall sound, but it is tighter sounding... The modded Porta Pros with 6H23N-EB in the Ember fed from a laptop with DFR and Schiit Loki is a sole setup I would bring to any headphone meet and blow minds... clean, detailed treble and gorgeous vocals with tight, yet organic sounding bass from a sub $50 set of headphones... mids more gorgeous than HD650 with treble closer to a TH-X00 Purpleheart.
That’s one heckava statement saying the PP/DFR and Loki with just that tube alone is better then the HD650’s mids.

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #3,315 of 3,354
That’s one heckava statement saying the PP/DFR and Loki with just that tube alone is better then the HD650’s mids.
Well, the HD650/6XX is better technically, but it just sounds more flat/dry and boring in comparison... I much prefer euphonic, warm sounding headphones with very solid/rich presentation and powerful low end presence. The Porta Pro (modded) is all about beautiful sounding mids with a great supporting low end, has a rich, organic nature to the sound with a powerful/impactful presence. Not looking for 'neutral' or 'close to real as possible' headphones, I love an accentuated and soulfully engaginging listening experience that emphasises musicality and emotion over technicality. Reason I simply am not interested in most any planar headphones precisely for how flat and boring they to me in comparison to the warm, full sounding dynamics with low end presence I love. Also the the reason the Porta Pros (modded) are one of my most favorite headphones, maybe even moreso than my Purplehearts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back