Project Ember Tube Rolling
Feb 27, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,791 of 3,354
  Ok thank you, help really appreciate :)

No cracking noise with input capacitor when I move the plot.
And without input capacitor (bypass mode), the cracking level depends on the output impedance.

I will folow your advice and ask jeremy  (first time for me
beerchug.gif
)

Regards,

Sounds like it's working as intended.  I got a bad tube in the mail once that had a short in it.  Damn near blew up my headphones.  It was pretty obvious that something was wrong.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #2,792 of 3,354
Well thx !

Not so bad. I take the "risk".

By the way, any recommendation about recent tubes productions ? JJ, Tung-Sol, Mullard reissue, Sovtek, electro-harmonix ?
I found this :
https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-corner/12ax7-comparison-current-made-tubes

Regards,

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #2,796 of 3,354
  oh yeah :)

By the way, without input capacitor (by pass capacitor settings), i found there is a little more deeper bass and a little bit of details.

Regards,

There's been a fair amount of discussion about this in the past without any definite conclusion.
For my ears, bypassing the input capacitors (my earlier version of Ember doesn't have a resistor bypass) does marginally increase clarity, but it's only when I'm concentrating very hard to compare the sounds one immediately after the other that I can discern any very slight difference. 

beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #2,798 of 3,354
Hey guys, just bought a v2 in the FS section and am excited to give it a go with my LCD-X. I already have some 6DJ8/6922's on hand from a previous amp, as well as some 5670, 6n3p and a pair of 6SN7.

My question is, does the Ember v2 automagically adjust for different tubes' heater voltages etc or are some adjustments required when rolling between different tube families? Obviously the 5670/6n3p require and adapter (which I have) as well as the 6SN7 which I need an adapter for, I'm just not clear on what adjustments if any need to be made to support these tubes. Thanks in advance :)

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2,799 of 3,354
Yes, it will adjust automatically to a wide variety of dual triode tubes (but not just anything, of course).

The manual has a long list of compatible tubes:

http://www.garage1217.com/MANUALS/

I've not heard of anyone using the 5670 family. Customer service at garage1217 is excellent and would know if they are safe to try.

Let us know the answer on the 5670 if you ask.

Which 6SN7 do you have? They typically sound very good.

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2,800 of 3,354
Yes, it will adjust automatically to a wide variety of dual triode tubes (but not just anything, of course).

The manual has a long list of compatible tubes:

http://www.garage1217.com/MANUALS/

I've not heard of anyone using the 5670 family. Customer service at garage1217 is excellent and would know if they are safe to try.

Let us know the answer on the 5670 if you ask.

Which 6SN7 do you have? They typically sound very good.

Thanks for the resource! I will ask about the 5670 and let you know.

I believe my 6SN7 pair are Sylvania brown base 6SN7WGT... Left over from a WA6 I owned but never got around to buying adapters for. Maybe they're decent, no idea!

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,802 of 3,354
Thanks for the resource! I will ask about the 5670 and let you know.

I believe my 6SN7 pair are Sylvania brown base 6SN7WGT... Left over from a WA6 I owned but never got around to buying adapters for. Maybe they're decent, no idea!

The 5670, if it will work in the Ember w/ adapter, sounds like it might be a nice tube!

Have you seen the 5670 thread here on HeadFi?

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,803 of 3,354

The 5670, if it will work in the Ember w/ adapter, sounds like it might be a nice tube!

Have you seen the 5670 thread here on HeadFi?

Yeah I hope so; I'll definitely be checking that thread out! I really like the idea of only having to roll a single tube... all of a sudden my existing pairs have doubled in life 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,805 of 3,354
Alright, so I've only been able to listen for a few hours so these are very early impressions. The only tube I've tried so far is the GE black plate 5670, and for the most part it sounds great! Good detail and soundstage, and no channel imbalance. The drawbacks for me so far with this tube in the Ember v2 (w/LCD-X) is that there seems to be a bit of peakyness or zing to the treble, maybe around 12kHz or so. This works great with some recordings back can be a bit harsh with others. Also it's quite microphonic, as even touching the volume knob results in a sound. Neither the treble peak nor the microphonics were an issue for me with the Mjolnir 2, so either the Ember just doesn't play quite as well with this tube or they need some time to settle in. Time will tell. For the time being I do have some other 6DJ8/6922's to try, and have a Telefunken 12AU7 on the way to compare. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back