Project Ember Review
Jan 2, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #841 of 1,366
it is the reason why it was so evident an upgrade with my bugle boy 12au7, and after that the others (notably the 6sn7 and the 7193 )

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #843 of 1,366
  it is the reason why it was so evident an upgrade with my bugle boy 12au7, and after that the others (notably the 6sn7 and the 7193 )

Well once you start rolling....you know the rest... LOL

PS. Actually part of the reason we roll so much is it's so easy with Ember as everything is automated to ensure the correct heater voltage and precise bias, even to the extent of self adjusting its bias as the tube warms up. I think that must help make the sound so satisfying.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #844 of 1,366
by the way i listen with the He 400 hifiman +sorbothane mod....and this sorb mod is the most extraordinary upgrade....more extraordinary than the amplifier i think....for my he 400 (metal painted cups resonate so badly ) the sorb made miracle and i want to buy some totl headphone to compare in the year to come...Dharma, or senn hd 800 or i dont know maybe  some unknown phone right now it is impossible to decide...

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #845 of 1,366
  by the way i listen with the He 400 hifiman +sorbothane mod....and this sorb mod is the most extraordinary upgrade....more extraordinary than the amplifier i think....for my he 400 (metal painted cups resonate so badly ) the sorb made miracle and i want to buy some totl headphone to compare in the year to come...Dharma, or senn hd 800 or i dont know maybe  some unknown phone right now it is impossible to decide...

I also have the HE400. I haven't heard it resonate yet. Does yours resonate with all frequencies or mainly the extremes?

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #846 of 1,366
  I also have the HE400. I haven't heard it resonate yet. Does yours resonate with all frequencies or mainly the extremes?

all headphone cups resonate to some many frequencies...and the he 400 cups are a metal drum.... Before i put the sorb mod i was not totally in love with  my he 400... the change with the  different amp i try  was a betterment up to the Ember ( the right choice).... But it was a true revolution for me when i was putting the sorb on the exterior cup.... the 3 d sound, the imaging, the frequencies are more clear all the way up, and the musical rendering of the instrument timbre way better....before sorb mod, the desktop speaker Monsoon Mm 2000 was better listening than my he 400 ( it a a miraculous hybrid planar speakers system  at low cost very resolving probably surpass only by the maggies ) , the Stax basic system better also than the he 400.... Now the Ember+ the he 400 +sorb mod beats the 2 in the naturalness of the sound and 3d presence of the real timbre of instrument ... it is my experience....

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #847 of 1,366

all headphone cups resonate to some many frequencies...and the he 400 cups are a metal drum.... Before i put the sorb mod i was not totally in love with  my he 400... the change with the  different amp i try  was a betterment up to the Ember ( the right choice).... But it was a true revolution for me when i was putting the sorb on the exterior cup.... the 3 d sound, the imaging, the frequencies are more clear all the way up, and the musical rendering of the instrument timbre way better....before sorb mod, the desktop speaker Monsoon Mm 2000 was better listening than my he 400 ( it a a miraculous hybrid planar speakers system  at low cost very resolving probably surpass only by the maggies ) , the Stax basic system better also than the he 400.... Now the Ember+ the he 400 +sorb mod beats the 2 in the naturalness of the sound and 3d presence of the real timbre of instrument ... it is my experience....

That's something I would like to consider. Do you have a link to the mod? I am hopeless technically, by the way.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #848 of 1,366
  That's something I would like to consider. Do you have a link to the mod? I am hopeless technically, by the way.

You must read this thread carefully....all the posts...Mine for the he 400 are there with some photos ... some try the sorb mod at the interior of the cup...I prefer at the exterior it is more easy and if you dont like it easy to come back to the beginning ( i dont give a damn for the appearance look )...i give all infos there ... very important thing to note: the thickness , the duro, the form of the sorb play a role in the process and now i had discover that the gluing process takes for me 2 month for a complete adherence ....read all the thread please not only my own posts...by the way this mod. is the most simple to made...it is only important to rightly choosing the sorb and place it in the right manner...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-energy-distortion-of-stax-and-other-phones-with-sorbothane-and-other-materials

p.s. all headphone are prone to some destructive sound resonance vibration...For example the blutak mod, the anaxilus mod, are mod to beat this vibration that affect some frequencies badly respectively for the he 6 and senn hd 800... the sorb mod i try for the he 400...the sorbothane have some properties to damp vibrations and transforming them into heat...rightly apply it is  miraculous for me more than anything else for the he 400...no amp can do that...

I apologize for writing all that about he 400 on the Ember thread but...

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #849 of 1,366
  You must read this thread carefully....all the posts...Mine for the he 400 are there with some photos ... some try the sorb mod at the interior of the cup...I prefer at the exterior it is more easy and if you dont like it easy to come back to the beginning ( i dont give a damn for the appearance look )...i give all infos there ... very important thing to note: the thickness , the duro, the form of the sorb play a role in the process and now i had discover that the gluing process takes for me 2 month for a complete adherence ....read all the thread please not only my own posts...by the way this mod. is the most simple to made...it is only important to rightly choosing the sorb and place it in the right manner...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-energy-distortion-of-stax-and-other-phones-with-sorbothane-and-other-materials

p.s. all headphone are prone to some destructive sound resonance vibration...For example the blutak mod, the anaxilus mod, are mod to beat this vibration that affect some frequencies badly respectively for the he 6 and senn hd 800... the sorb mod i try for the he 400...the sorbothane have some properties to damp vibrations and transforming them into heat...rightly apply it is  miraculous for me more than anything else for the he 400...no amp can do that...

I apologize for writing all that about he 400 on the Ember thread but...

That's so helpful, thanks. I had no idea there was so much written about this mod.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #853 of 1,366
  To those rolling dual 6L5 tubes, how they compare to 6NS7? Are they better in general, or it's the usual tube dependent?

Ooops!... this post was intended for the tube rolling thread!

I am using National Union and I think Howie13 is also.  These are a cut above the 6sn7's, and I do have some good 6sn7/s Kenrad vt 231, sylvania vt 231 and a TungsolGT from 1949 that is also very good.and others, but prefer the openness and 3D effect the the 6L5's have.  I have tried the 6j5.s and 6c5's, the C as are nice but not as open and the top end is not as prevalent.  If you have bright cans, these work great. Have the Hytrons but do not care for these.  I also have a pair of Sylvania straight glass, tubes which are nice but no where as good as the 6L5g's.  The only 6j5's I have that are clear winner's are the Visseaux 6j5's and these are probably better, depending on the music you are listening to, to the 6L5's.  Expensive and getting hard to find, but worth it in my opinion. The 6L5's I have two pair and both are National Union, both sound the same.  Have not tried a different manufacture for these.  Am using both HD 650's and HD 700's with the Ember.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #854 of 1,366

I am using National Union and I think Howie13 is also.  These are a cut above the 6sn7's, and I do have some good 6sn7/s Kenrad vt 231, sylvania vt 231 and a TungsolGT from 1949 that is also very good.and others, but prefer the openness and 3D effect the the 6L5's have.  I have tried the 6j5.s and 6c5's, the C as are nice but not as open and the top end is not as prevalent.  If you have bright cans, these work great. Have the Hytrons but do not care for these.  I also have a pair of Sylvania straight glass, tubes which are nice but no where as good as the 6L5g's.  The only 6j5's I have that are clear winner's are the Visseaux 6j5's and these are probably better, depending on the music you are listening to, to the 6L5's.  Expensive and getting hard to find, but worth it in my opinion. The 6L5's I have two pair and both are National Union, both sound the same.  Have not tried a different manufacture for these.  Am using both HD 650's and HD 700's with the Ember.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
I've got a couple of RCA 6L5's on the way to compare to the very excellent NU's.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #855 of 1,366

I am using the Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 and I have a really loud noise floor with the TH-X00?

You may also find using a lower gain tube like a 12AU7 or 6N6P reduces the hiss. It may be the characteristic of the tube or could be related to the low impedance of the can, in either case using a different and lower gain tube may help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back