Project Ember Review
Jun 25, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #587 of 1,366
  I have my K7XX paired with the Ember and its a great match.  I have the output R on the middle setting, keeps the bass nice and tight while the highs have just the right sparkle that I like.

Thanks for sharing. I am still waiting for my K7xx to arrive.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #588 of 1,366
Although I much prefer the sonic signature of my HD 650's over everything else I've heard I'd have to say that it was my Q701's that benefited most when I upgraded to the Ember from my O2. It really was a night & day improvement. It still didn't get rid of the 2k spike of course. If it did I'd still own them.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #590 of 1,366
Mhhmmmmmm. The sound of this amp even makes my m50's sound beautiful. Listening to Mumford and sons brings tears to my eyes with these....

I am in my heart with you for the ember
L3000.gif

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #593 of 1,366
I'm loving my Ember MKII with RCA 6SN7GTB tube. I want to upgrade from ODAC to a better more resolving DAC. Any recommendations are welcomed.

read about caiman mkII of stanley beresford.... quality /price ratio... i had his other dac and this is a very good one....
ph34r.gif
and also the emotiva stealth dc1 dac...very good reviews about it

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #594 of 1,366
@jaxz, other DACs to check out under $300-ish are Gustard X12, Geek Out v2, and Music Streamer HD. For $750 go with the Gungnir and for $2,300 go for the top with Yggdrasil 'Yggy'. 

The main DAC thread is an excellent place to get started in your quest. It can become a bit time consuming there but at least post the question there for other great suggestions too.

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #595 of 1,366
So, new questions my friends...

Ok, so I am a bit worried about my audio system, as it is running directly from my PC to my amp via a 1/8 jack to RCA. For listening on my m50's, it sounds beautiful; however, I am worried that when I start listening to the k7xx's that it won't be so good. I don't want to bottleneck my sound, so do you guys think idyl be a problem? Or do you think it will be fine? I am planing on buying a Schiit Modi, however I find it hard to invest in one of it won't help the audio too much...also I'm worried if I start buying to much audio stuff I won't be able to stop...so I'm trying to practice self control.
Either way, I'd love to hear your opinions! Thanks guys!

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #596 of 1,366
What sound-card is in the PC?

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #598 of 1,366
I'm not sure the exact name of the sound card, but it is the one on the Asus Maximus Hero VI, which is advertised to have a 'better' sound card

i may be wrong, but i think thats the motherboard, not a sound card.

ur sound card should be fine regardless though if you have a dedicated one with an amplifier. headphones are much more important. I personally wldnt worry too much abt soundcard vs dac/amp unless you are experiencing hissing or noise or distortion.

if ur soundcard doesnt have an onboard amp, u can consider an budget amp fpr the k7xx

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #599 of 1,366
He's got a Project Ember already mate.

I'm assuming this is a Windows machine? If so you can go into Device Properties & find out what the sound-card is. I'm on Mac & so I'm not able to direct you to exactly where the info is but it's there somewhere.

I'd still recommend a stand-alone DAC when you can afford one as you definitely the gear now to make the most of it. Something like an ODAC or Schiit Modi is relatively affordable. YMMV.

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #600 of 1,366
i may be wrong, but i think thats the motherboard, not a sound card.

ur sound card should be fine regardless though if you have a dedicated one with an amplifier. headphones are much more important. I personally wldnt worry too much abt soundcard vs dac/amp unless you are experiencing hissing or noise or distortion.

if ur soundcard doesnt have an onboard amp, u can consider an budget amp fpr the k7xx

Not to be rude, but I don't think you really read through the previous posts before this. I already have an amp, and I am wondering if the onboard sound card of my Asus Hero VI is good enough not to bottleneck my rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back