Project Ember Review
Jun 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #571 of 1,366
Built a BH Crack so installing the supercharger is not a problem.  Another reason I was wondering about the 6SN7 series tubes is that I haven't heard it used with the BH Crack since you could use the adapter from the Ember, might have to change some of the heater circuits but shouldn't be that hard.

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #572 of 1,366
That might be an interesting project. Let us know if you try it and how it goes.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #573 of 1,366
  Built a BH Crack so installing the supercharger is not a problem.  Another reason I was wondering about the 6SN7 series tubes is that I haven't heard it used with the BH Crack since you could use the adapter from the Ember, might have to change some of the heater circuits but shouldn't be that hard.

You don't need to change anything on the Crack to use the 6SN7.  Just use the same adapter as the Ember.  I run my Crack (with Speedball) with a 6SN7 all the time now.

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #574 of 1,366

You don't need to change anything on the Crack to use the 6SN7.  Just use the same adapter as the Ember.  I run my Crack (with Speedball) with a 6SN7 all the time now.

Thanks for the info, good to know that its a plug and play thing.  Does it need the speedball installed?  Mine is not currently installed, really like the sound without it.

What about the sound with the 6SN7 series, big upgrade?

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #575 of 1,366
  Thanks for the info, good to know that its a plug and play thing.  Does it need the speedball installed?  Mine is not currently installed, really like the sound without it.

What about the sound with the 6SN7 series, big upgrade?

I think that the Speedball upgrade does more to improve the Crack than most any change of tubes.  I hear more resolution, clarity, and detail, without becoming at all sibilant.

You don't need the Speedball to run the 6SN7.

I perceive most tubes as changing the sound in a relatively moderate way, unless, of course, you have a crappy tube to begin with.  For me, the 6SN7 gives a bit more authority across the board to my HD600s.  I was previously running a NOS Mullard CV4003 which is a bit more relaxed.  The other day I rolled in a new issue Gold Lion 12AU7 and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded, but the Sylvania VT-231 (6SN7 variant) went back in after I was done.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #576 of 1,366
  I think that the Speedball upgrade does more to improve the Crack than most any change of tubes.  I hear more resolution, clarity, and detail, without becoming at all sibilant.

You don't need the Speedball to run the 6SN7.

I perceive most tubes as changing the sound in a relatively moderate way, unless, of course, you have a crappy tube to begin with.  For me, the 6SN7 gives a bit more authority across the board to my HD600s.  I was previously running a NOS Mullard CV4003 which is a bit more relaxed.  The other day I rolled in a new issue Gold Lion 12AU7 and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded, but the Sylvania VT-231 (6SN7 variant) went back in after I was done.

Had the speedball installed but it had some noise issues with some tubes, also it sounded better without the speedball to me.  Currently using a TS-5998 and 12AX7 Telefunken.
With the Ember using a reissue Mullard or Electro Harmonix most of the time, these new tubes give the best dynamics IMO.  Will roll a NOS Telefunken once in a while since its smoother for some headphones.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #580 of 1,366
Ah right. Good luck.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #581 of 1,366
  Well I have to admit when I found out about the metal plates, I was not impressed either.  But after seeing some on different Embers, I decided to order them.  Very glad I did, they lookreally great with this amp. I have made a few alterations and give credit to a member on DIY Audio Heaven  http://diyah.boards.net/thread/143/project-ember.  JGlatz the member I am speaking of, just after buying a very expensive Ken Rad 6SN7 VT 213 black top, and I was so glad I did,  love the sound.  Then this member, JGlatz brings out his version, he called it FrankenEmber, love at first site, it uses the 7193 tubes, single triodes.  Like it?

Hey connieflyer, I just ordered project Ember this morning and also ordered this 7193 kit from ebay. Can't wait to hear them!

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #584 of 1,366
Well I just won the bid so I'll see when it gets to me...also I'm waiting for my K7XX's to ship out, but it may be the 29th till that happens

I have my K7XX paired with the Ember and its a great match.  I have the output R on the middle setting, keeps the bass nice and tight while the highs have just the right sparkle that I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back