Project Ember (Garage1217) vs Schiit Lyr
Sep 24, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #16 of 47
hey, anyone ever do the comparison with the Lyr and the Ember?  I'm interested in the results, as I've narrowed it down to those two amps to run my K702, and the Ember is sure a lot cheaper!

If anybody has the Ember, I would appreciate more comparisons as well. I have already compared it with Bravo Ocean as I have owned both. More comparisons with Lyr, Woo audio etc would be nice :)

Thank You

Aakshey

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #17 of 47
If anybody has the Ember, I would appreciate more comparisons as well. I have already compared it with Bravo Ocean as I have owned both. More comparisons with Lyr, Woo audio etc would be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank You

Aakshey

I would really like to hear if anyone ever did a comparison on this.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #18 of 47
If anybody has the Ember, I would appreciate more comparisons as well. I have already compared it with Bravo Ocean as I have owned both. More comparisons with Lyr, Woo audio etc would be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank You

Aakshey

Mind to share your impression?

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #19 of 47
I have had my Project Ember for a day and already have about 11 hours on it.  It definately has made a difference from what I was used to.  I have an asus zonar going to a Harmon-Kardon avr 510, had it hooked up with rca and optical and while it sounded quite good,  the Ember is head and shoulders above it.  The downside is not, I may be headed for a divorce, as I don't want to get out from under my senn's 650's and Ember to do anything else.  Have to try all 15000, songs first!  Of course then have to do it all over again after I try tube rolling and resistance and gain settings!  One very helpful thing with this amp is it has bias auto-setting, just plunk in a new tube and away you go, no balancing bias or changing anything.  The amp has increased both the soundstage, warmth, and detail, in the mids and bass.  If this makes any sense, it seems like the music is (fuller) more of everything.  If you are diy get the kit and say some money or have Jeremy build one for you. He did an excellent job on mine, More power than you should need on most headphones.  I use a 300 ohm headphone and with the resistance set to it's highest setting on the amp, I can still get 320mw.  
Specifications:
  1. Solid state output
    Specifications:
  2. Solid state output stage
  3. Non overall feedback - triode voltage gain stage
  4. Power consumption: 5W continuous, 15W peak
  5. Power supply: 48VDC (0.10A cont, 0.32A peak)
  6. Input Resistance: 11 kO or 21 kO depending on gain setting
  7. Input Sensitivity (6N23): 0.8V or 1.6V (dependent on gain setting and used tube)
  8. Gain: 20- 26dB (selectable and dependent on tube)
  9. Max Output voltage: 15.7Vrms at 300Ohm
  10. Output Resistance: Selectable 0.1O, 35O or 120Ohm
  11. Frequency Response: 3Hz – 65 KHz (-0.5dB) with 32Ohm load
  12. Frequency Response: 1.5Hz – 190 KHz (-3dB) with 32Ohm load
  13. Signal to Noise ratio: 92dBA (dependent on tube)
  14. Crosstalk: -89dB (dependent on tube)
  15. THD: > 0.010% (dependent on tube)
  16. Suitable for: 16-600ohm Headphones
  17. stage
  18. Non overall feedback - triode voltage gain stage
  19. Power consumption: 5W continuous, 15W peak
  20. Power supply: 48VDC (0.10A cont, 0.32A peak)
  21. Input Resistance: 11 kO or 21 kO depending on gain setting
  22. Input Sensitivity (6N23): 0.8V or 1.6V (dependent on gain setting and used tube)
  23. Gain: 20- 26dB (selectable and dependent on tube)
  24. Max Output voltage: 15.7Vrms at 300Ohm
  25. Output Resistance: Selectable 0.1O, 35O or 120Ohm
  26. Frequency Response: 3Hz – 65 KHz (-0.5dB) with 32Ohm load
  27. Frequency Response: 1.5Hz – 190 KHz (-3dB) with 32Ohm load
  28. Signal to Noise ratio: 92dBA (dependent on tube)
  29. Crosstalk: -89dB (dependent on tube)
  30. THD: > 0.010% (dependent on tube)
  31. Suitable for: 16-600ohm Headphones

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 47
Looking for comparisons against other hybrid tube amps (lyr-pan am). If you have, please tell me how it is aginst the Ember.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #21 of 47
If you did not catch it, this was posted just below this question from you on the Ember review page.....
I previously owned the Lyr and would take the Project Ember over it easily. Sound quality aside, it was way too difficult to remove tubes from the Lyr and I actually caused a tube to implode once when trying to pull it out. I think some others have posted some Lyr vs Project Ember comparisons but I personally won't be doing that, just not interested in getting a Lyr again. Would much rather have the Project Ember especially when it's over $100 cheaper and makes removing tubes much easier.

No idea on the pre-amp question, as I never used it. Would be better to ask Garage1217 about that.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675850/project-ember-review/150

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #23 of 47
  If you did not catch it, this was posted just below this question from you on the Ember review page.....
I previously owned the Lyr and would take the Project Ember over it easily. Sound quality aside, it was way too difficult to remove tubes from the Lyr and I actually caused a tube to implode once when trying to pull it out. I think some others have posted some Lyr vs Project Ember comparisons but I personally won't be doing that, just not interested in getting a Lyr again. Would much rather have the Project Ember especially when it's over $100 cheaper and makes removing tubes much easier.

No idea on the pre-amp question, as I never used it. Would be better to ask Garage1217 about that.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675850/project-ember-review/150

Just saw it! Thanks.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #24 of 47
Have their been any comparisons between Ember and Lyr based on sound quality and not functionality? I don't really plan on tube-rolling so the ease of removing them won't matter to me much. I know different tubes will change the sound for either but any comparison would be helpful.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #25 of 47
Ember vs Lyr:    Both  top notch!!!  both very sensitive to tube rolling   Ember + treble detail, bass presence,      Lyr + sound stage, warmer     Ember - bright   Lyr - not most resolving  Both drive my orthos very well and I cannot say one is better or worse both are really excellent amps  but the Ember is truly gorgeous and small footprint

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #26 of 47
Been awhile since I had the Lyr, but I rolled a dozen or so different tubes with it and none of them were as good as my stock tubed Project Ember. Amazing amp. YMMV.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #27 of 47
Seems like the Ember will likely be my next amp over the Lyr, thanks to both of you for your input!

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #28 of 47
With the new supercharger coming out in the next week or so, It's even more enticing.
I keep wanting a tube or tube hybrid, and my search always comes full circle to this. Then I tell myself that I could buy another headphone for $350. Hard to decide, but that's the fun/frustration of Head-fi.

Thanks for the reviews, they help cement what I know I've already decided if I get another amp. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #29 of 47
I have the supercharger option and I'm honestly not sure what it does! I have a general idea. I figured it was an option to have, now I just need to understand it better. I can't wait to start rolling though.

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #30 of 47
ya, can someone inform me as to what that supercharger is for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back