Progressive Rock?
Mar 28, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #91 of 113
I've heard Wish - that's from Fixed, isn't it?

Thanx for the warning tho.....you never can tell what exactly Trent is doing until he's already finished screwing with your head......

wink.gif

Thx for the recs, demetrio. Braver - The Fragile is really, really good - but so are Pretty Hate Machine, Downward Spiral, and Broken - just in different ways......

Mar 28, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #92 of 113
well, I'm gonna download some of Downward Spiral, I wanna know what else he did
cool.gif
thanks for bringing NIN back from the background Vij
smily_headphones1.gif

dunno if you're using AMG for information, but if you do, be warned. they don't like it when bands get unpredictable and complex or experimental. a classic prog album will have three stars out of five (NIN - Fragile, Camel - Stationary Traveler), Britney might make it to five. they're fine for tracklistings and artist info (as long as it's big label bands, no Arena or Pendragon info)

something else to check out: Pain Of Salvation. definately fits with the prog metal allready on your list (no death vocals, hate em too).

Mar 29, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #93 of 113
All right, braver! Seems we have similar tastes.......

Be warned, tho - The Fragile may be NIN's most mellow work....some of the Downward Spiral stuff is much more direct, lyrically, at least in my intrepretations (Heresy, for instance
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Mar 29, 2002 at 7:36 PM Post #94 of 113
thats why I never really tried any of it, specially the Marilyn Manson link scared me off
biggrin.gif
I just don't feel like I can relate to his frustations and anger of some of his music. but Fragile just hits the spot IMO.

in any case, report back when you've listened to some of those discs!

Mar 29, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #95 of 113
Well, I hate Marilyn Manson.......think the music is utter crap and the lyrics are, too...........but that's me.

I can relate to most NIN stuff.....some, tho, is beyond me.....I actually don't like Downward Spiral - but some tracks are brilliant, and it is an excellent album as a whole....just not my thing. I am a jazz guy, anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #96 of 113
I like it a lot,in fact I listen to prog for about 43 years. My main favorites are Van Der Graaf Generator and singer Peter Hammil solo

Robert Wyatt
Henri Cow
Univers Zero
Magma
Present
King Crimson
Classic Genesis, up to " And Than there were Three"
Classic Yes, up to "Tormato"
National Health
Jethro Tull, only "Tick as a Brick, and " a Passion Play.
Camel
Gentle Giant.
Anglagard
Anekdoten 
Steven Wilson,

and of course countless other I did not mention in the list, but it gives you an idea.

Sep 13, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #97 of 113
Prog rock is a snooze to me. Let me direct you to THE REAL rock n' roll:

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #99 of 113
Hmm... Wonder what I was doing in 2002. Probably listening to rap music on a crappy CD player (cringe)

Haven't gone through the thread yet, but Incase no one mentioned. OP should check out opeth and between the buried and me if.. You know... OP is still looking for progressive music.... 12 years later

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #100 of 113
Best prog Releases so far in 2015:

Alco Fisbass - Alco Fisbass
Unit Wail - Beyound Space Edges
Simon Steensland - a Farewell to Brains
Ciccada - The Finest of Miracles
Steven Wilson - Hand ,Cannot, Erase
Breznev Fun Club - Il Misantropo Felice
King Crimson - Live at the Orpheum
Guapo - Obscure Knowledge
William D. Drake - Revere Reach
Karda Estra - Strange Relations
Anekdoten - Untill all the Ghosts are Gone
Scherzoo - 03
Ben Levin Group - Freak machine
Magma - Slag Tanz

This is only the harvest from the first half of 2015, so we can say that 2015 is an exellent year for prog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back