Progressive Rock?
Mar 3, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #76 of 113
Yikes!! I just added up the total cost of the prospective cd purchases I'm likely to make and it comes to a grand total of £88.50!!! (oh and thats NOT including p+p btw either
eek.gif
tongue.gif
)

Thankfully though (or maybe not) a lot of the releases look to be staggered so won't be paying for all of it at once, however its still quite a hefty chunk
frown.gif

Heres a list of some of the prospective purchases in case anyones wondering:-

The Lens - A word in your eye. Pre IQ band

Lana Lane - Project Shangrila.

Twelfth Night - Fact and Faction (remaster with unreleased stuff)

Flambrough Head - One from the Crow (don't know much but new vocalist and guitarist so willing to give this one a go)

RPWL - Trying to Kiss the Sun. If your into Floyd you REALLY need to check this band out.

Eloy - Tides return forever at a bargain £7.00!!

IQ Subterranea DVD - However I already have this on vhs (yuck I know but couldn't wait) so not sure whether to get this or not

Landmarq - live when they FINALLY get round to releasing the damn thing!!

Like Wendy - The Days Remaining

Well at least I won't be able to say I havn't got anything new to listen to, theres also the new Arena album on the horizon as well (if it turns up this year though I'll be amazed)
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #77 of 113
I'm kinda hoping to save some money this month and get The Cry and Pride (Arena) and The Perfect Element Part I from Pain Of Salvation. new purchases for this month for now are Falling Into Infinity from DreamTheater (always thought it an odd album, but somehow 6DOIT was the missing link between FII and the rest of their work, FII feels more like it fits now) and Nude by Camel (damn thay're gooood!).

I'd rather not add up the total cost of my entire list of prospective purchases...it'll be a fortune
eek.gif

I got good hope the new Arena will be out in April (the studio diary is up BTW).

something I hope to see this year too is the final part to Strangers On A Train.

Mar 4, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #78 of 113
Just jumping in the thread late, but I would like some prog rock recommendations. Radiohead is probably my favorite band, esp The Bends and then OK Computer, and I've also listened to Pink Floyd quite a bit. I don't like metal at all, so I would much rather have prog rock recommendations than prog metal. I listen to a lot of jam band stuff and some jazz, so vocals are nice, but not necessary.

I've heard some good things about two supposed prog rock bands on Audio Asylum, I think the Church and Spiritualized. Anyone ever heard of them?

Mar 4, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #79 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton
RPWL - Trying to Kiss the Sun. If your into Floyd you REALLY need to check this band out.

Uh, which era? The only reason I ask is that there are bands that specialize in many eras -- Syd Barrett era, L, there's even one that specifically mimics only the More soundtrack.

PS I got the Nightwish boxset. No, I haven't listened to it yet.

ML4 -- Church and Spiritualized aren't really perogie, but then again, neither is Radiohead, so you may want to check them out anyway. Highly recommended (I love Church and Spiritualized far more than Radiohead). You may want to start a contemporary alternative thread or something.

Mar 4, 2002 at 10:07 AM Post #80 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by Musiclover4
Just jumping in the thread late, but I would like some prog rock recommendations. Radiohead is probably my favorite band, esp The Bends and then OK Computer, and I've also listened to Pink Floyd quite a bit. I don't like metal at all, so I would much rather have prog rock recommendations than prog metal. I listen to a lot of jam band stuff and some jazz, so vocals are nice, but not necessary.
I've heard some good things about two supposed prog rock bands on Audio Asylum, I think the Church and Spiritualized. Anyone ever heard of them?

Man, you NEED to get some PORCUPINE TREE stuff now. Sound samples available at this link:

http://www.porcupinetree.com/audio.htm

I think you would enjoy any of their albums. The Sky Moves Sideways, Coma Divine, Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are just some few suggestions to start with.

Mar 4, 2002 at 10:20 AM Post #81 of 113
Quote:

Yikes!!Heres a list of some of the prospective purchases in case anyones wondering:-

Twelfth Night - Fact and Faction (remaster with unreleased stuff)

Eloy - Tides return forever at a bargain £7.00!!

IQ Subterranea DVD - However I already have this on vhs (yuck I know but couldn't wait) so not sure whether to get this or not

Like Wendy - The Days Remaining

Glad to know that TWELFTH NIGHT's Fact & Fiction is now available as a remastered version, I have the standard version and really enjoy it.

I have RPWL's God Has Failed, would like to hear your impressions about the new one.

Glad you are into ELOY, but I don't think you got some of their most representative stuff IMO. You might want to check out their ealier stuff, it's available as remaster now: Inside, Floating, Power and the Passion... Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes is another excellent album too.

Let us know your impression about that IQ dvd, please.

Would also like to hear your impressions about this LIKE WENDY CD you got, I have The Storm Inside and enjoy it.

Happy listening.

Mar 4, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #82 of 113
Demetrio,

I'm only getting The lens and I guess Eloy in the very near future, all the others are on prebooking from gft.

I actually have two other Like Wendy cds aside from the storm. They are : RainChild and Tales from Moonlit Bay.

Its more of the same really, though rc is more genesis than marillion, I also think its stronger than Tales.

Dusty

I think RPWL are Roger Waters era floyd but to be certain check out the review at www.dprp.vurrwerk.nl under cd reviews!!

Mar 7, 2002 at 2:49 PM Post #83 of 113
Quote:

I think RPWL are Roger Waters era floyd but to be certain check out the review at www.dprp.vurrwerk.nl under cd reviews!!

I have the CD God Has Failed and enjoy it a lot. Like above mentioned, the music of RPWL is very Floyd influenced, mixing Waters-era typical sound effects with Gilmour-ish guitar work and vocals. The Floyd influences are strong, it’s true, but the overall result is very pleasant IMO.

The review mentioned by Davidcotton is exactly at this link:

http://www.dprp.vuurwerk.nl/reviews/0023.htm#rpwl

And this is the link to the band's website:

http://www.rpwl.de/

Mar 9, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #84 of 113
well, my next prog purchase is going to be 6DOIT - I heard a few tracks from the first CD, and I'm sold
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to note, though - I just picked up an absolutely wonderful disc - Miles Davis' Tribue To Jack Johnson.

Fusion......but.....wow......you can hear Miles clearly.....not at all like Aura....very....funky.....yet, with a sort of clean feel to it.

I really like it.

Mar 10, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #85 of 113
Jack Johnson is one of my favorite Miles Davis albums. It is/was a soundtrack and may be more focused for a fusion album by Miles at that time. Two different bands including John McLaughlin contributing mightily and I agree, Miles does sound good. The Live-Evil and Bitches Brew albums of that period are harder for me to get into and this one just lets me slide right on in.

And back on topic has anyone heard - Hungarian guitarist Janos Varga's new CD, The Wings Of Revelation I?

This is some good guitar synth music. It starts off easy on the first cut introducing the sounds that you will hear throughout the album and then rocks and plums the depths afterward. At times the synth seems a bit dated but then there is a certain inventiveness that takes you past those short passages and into something newer.

Mar 27, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #86 of 113
My current wish list as far as prog or metal goes is the following:

Undertow (Tool)
Red (King Crimson)
6 DOIT (Dream Theater)
Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun (Porcupine Tree)
Gordian Knot (Gordian Knot)
Secret Of The Runes (Therion)
Blackwater Park (Opeth - I give in.....)
Conception (Flow)
Fixed/Perfect Drug Remixes (Nine Inch Nails)

If I find that I can't get used to those annoying death metal vox.....i'll sell it right here on head-fi. I'm sure there'll be takers...if not......hello, half.com. Hopefully I'll it tho - I hate selling CDs....

Mar 27, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #87 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
My current wish list as far as prog or metal goes is the following:

Undertow (Tool)
Red (King Crimson)
6 DOIT (Dream Theater)
Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun (Porcupine Tree)
Gordian Knot (Gordian Knot)
Secret Of The Runes (Therion)
Blackwater Park (Opeth - I give in.....)
Conception (Flow)
Fixed/Perfect Drug Remixes (Nine Inch Nails)

Great list, especially for the Porcupine Tree, Gordian Knot and King Crimson stuff you mentioned.

Can I add just some few more great suggestion to your wish list?

- Lacrimosa - Stille or Elodia (Gothic Metal-Prog at the best)
- La Torre dell'Alchimista - same (great introduction to typical Italian prog)
- Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (go back to one of the best albums from the old 70's)

Best prog wishes.

Mar 28, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #88 of 113
you're gonna love King Crimson
smily_headphones1.gif

DT is almost always good, and 6DOIT is one of their best.

I saw you already got NIN - The Fragile, which I also have and thikn is really great. it's not that heavy, and very proggy, but not in the synth and 70s Yes kinda way, more in the way he blends styles and moods to something special. his other stuff I'm not so sure about..

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #89 of 113
Be careful about Fixed -- that's some weird ass remix ****. Definitely make sure you hear it before you buy it.

Mar 28, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #90 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Be careful about Fixed -- that's some weird ass remix ****. Definitely make sure you hear it before you buy it.

Fixed is the only album I actually attempted to RETURN after buying and listening to it. I was successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back