Progressive Rock?
Jan 15, 2002 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

coolvij

Board geriatric
I stumbled upon progressive rock/metal in the form of Dream Theater when I was browsing through amazon.com recently.

I think this is a very interesting genre - anyone like this kind of music?

I am just getting into the bands:

- Conception
- Dream Theater
- Tool (if you call them progressive metal.......sort of a stretch)

I'd appreciate recs or discussion....or whatever.....

And, I highly recomment "Lord Chimp" 's reviews on
Amazon.com.....the guy knows quite a bit about progressive rock...or at least acts like he does.

TIA.

- vij

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 113
Paging Braver...
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 113
Ooh, lots of prog rockers here
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are some reccomendations-

Shadow Gallery - Anything by them, I like Carved in Stone the most, Legacy and Tyrrany are both excellent. Occasionally they remind me of Dream Theater, but they are less showy, and have much more acoustic material. I also like their singer a good bit more, and I find their music would probably be more accessible then most prog rock (More melodious). They make much more heavy use of synthesized piano then most groups, and they use flutes too.

Symphony X - Take Dream Theater, give them a darker, harsher sound (Symphony X has more of a crunch to it), and more synth is used. My personal favorite songs by them are on the very hard to find Divine Wings of Tragedy, with the feature song based on Holst's Mars, and is kind of long at 22 minutes or so
smily_headphones1.gif
. The other song that stands out for me is Candleight Fantasia, which is more like a ballad, and it has a dark, eerie tone to it. The next best CD IMO is V, which is much easier to find, and has a harder edge to it, and they use a lot more dissonance. Choral arrangements are the norm too, they make fairly heavy use of multiple singers and harmonies. Another favorite song of mine is Egypt (On V). I don't like them as much as DT because they can have a more dissonant sound at times, so this might be something that you like about them.

Liquid Tension Experiment - 2 CDs, both incredible. They are made of 3/4 of DT and it shows, just substitute Tony Levin for Myung, I personally like Levin more. A lot of their music is improv, and some is written beforehand. The first CD was produced inj a week, the second in 2 weeks or so. The music could simply be described as "insane", they just play their hearts out and it shows. My favorite songs on the first one are Paradigm Shift and Kindred Spirits, and on the second one I like Biaxident and When the Water Breaks, some of the imrovs are really good (Three minute warning is wonderful, and the second track on the second disc is extremely good IMO).

Bozzio Levin Stevens - Tony Levin is here again, yay for him. This group can be described as a more mature sounding group like LTE, but they don't have a keyboardist. My favorite song on Black Light Syndrome is The Sun Road, but others are excellent too. They have a more laid back, relaxed sound then LTE and sound like thay have had more time playing music together. They also make use of a more spanish style guitar, which is quite nifty.

Gordian Knot - Insturmental, more like Bozzio Levin Stevens, but has a jazzier sound to it. I don't have any of their CDs but I like my mp3s of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Arena - Prog metal, has a bit of an 80s kick to them, and make use of a fair bit of synth. Someone here calls them his favoirte band (I think it might be Braver), and I strongly reccomend them.

If you like Shadow Gallery and want to try something a bit heavier, try Royal Hunt.

If you want to hear something that is slightly like DT but has a more modern, poppish sound try Dali's Delimma. And I associate the song Ashen Days with my car, when I hear it all I can think of is how it sounds when played in my car.

Tempest - I don't have any of their CDs but I wouldn't mind owning one, they are more folky and have a laid back sound.

If you like prog rock and prog metal, I would also reccomend trying some Therion and some Blind Guardian, you may like one of them. Therion is dark operatic metal, Deggial could be considered prog too (Via Nocturne is an extremely good song) and Blind Guardian has a new single out (And Then There Was Silence) which I strongly reccomend, they play power metal, and you could also consider it progressive since it can change a lot. Blind Guardian has a very triumphant sound,

You seem to have extremely eclectic musical tastes, and because of that I can practically garuntee that you will be quite amazed once you start exploring this genre.

If you want more reccomendations, I can give you more, but you will be swamped
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Just started reading Lord Chimp's reviews, and I agree with him very much on Symphony X
smily_headphones1.gif

I have mentioned these guys several times here as reccomendations, and noone has bit. I HIGHLY reccomend you take the plunge with them. DWOT is such an extremely good disc, hell V is so good that after 2 songs a friend of mine called them his second favorite group. Some people say they are overrated, those that do need to listen to them again or something!

Jan 15, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 113
I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "progressive rock", but I own the Can CD Tago Mago. It has a loose, free form feel that owes a lot of its energy to jazz. They were a German band in the 60's that lots of experimental artists give cred to. The track "Halleluwah" is worth the price of the CD alone. Check 'em out.

cajunchrist

Jan 15, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 113
Second the recommendation on Shadow Gallery -- Tyranny is my favorite.

Someone here (davidcotton?) recommended Nightwish -- Wishmaster, which is excellent!

I don't really like Tempest, myself.

Search on user for the following three people: Braver, davidcotton, demetrio, and read their threads. Especially the "Paging Braver" thread -- Demetrio threw like a thousand recommendations out in that thread.

Jan 15, 2002 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Paging Braver...
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm the guy who calls Arena 'his favorite band'
biggrin.gif
IMO, they're one of the few who do every aspect of prog perfect. you have to be a fan of the 80s sound with lots of theatrics tho
smily_headphones1.gif

DT is sortof the heavy kind of prog. if you like it, I highly recommend Nightwish, and you just have to get Liquid Tension Experiment and Bozzio Levin Stevens (doesn't really matter which CD you pick), specially since you're also a jazz fan
smily_headphones1.gif

down that road, you'll run into King Crimson, whether you like it or not
wink.gif
I bet you'll like em tho! they're very experimental with a lot of instrumentals and moody tracks.

I could go on about Marillion, Pendragon etc etc, but like Xevion said, if you look for threads with both me and David, you'll find enough recommendations to keep you busy for a while
smily_headphones1.gif
Demetrio also knows alot of 70s bands and more unknown bands, if you want to get into it that deep. he and David are into this genre much longer than I am, so they know a lot more bands too! we also had a thread somewhere in the first weeks of Head-Fi discussing a lot of prog bands, a lot ot be found in there as well.

(BTW, how many proggers got into prog because of DT I wonder? Scenes From a Memory was my "first contact")

Jan 15, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by Xevion

Here are some reccomendations-

Shadow Gallery - ...
Symphony X - ...
Liquid Tension Experiment - ...
Bozzio Levin Stevens...
Gordian Knot - ...
Arena - ...

I'll second these, since you liked this stuff (all them lean towards Prog Metal indeed). From all these, my personal favorite has to be GORDIAN KNOT, their selft titled debut album is one of the best prog releases of the 90's IMO. Still in this prog metal I can recall the following bands/albuns:

AYREON - The Final Experiment, Actual Fantasy, Into the Electric Castle & Universal Migrator (Parts 1 & 2)
TILES - Present of Mind
EVERON - Fantasma
DEREK SHERINIAN - Planet X
APOCALYTPICA - Inquisition Symphony

Some few additional suggestions (NOT in the Prog Metal vein though, but all them prog masterpieces), in no particular order:

- PORCUPINE TREE - Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, The Sky Moves Sideways... (think Pink Floyd meets Radiohead)
- OZRIC TENTACLES - Erpland & Strangeitude
- FLOWER KINGS - Flower Power, Stardust We Are...
- TIMOTHY PURE - Island of the Misfit Toys
- ROCKET SCIENTISTS - Oblivion Days
- YOKE SHIRE - Masque of Shadows
- KING CRIMSON - Thrak & Discipline
- CIRCLE - Andexelt & Prospekt
- SIGUR RÓS - Agaetis Byrjun
- AFTER CRYING - De Profundis
- ANGLAGARD - Hybris
- LANDBERK - Indian Summer
- KVAZAR - Kvazar
- CAN - Saw Delight
- ISILDURS BANE - Mind Vol. 1
- MOSTLY AUTUMN - The Last Bright Light

Hope this helps.

Jan 15, 2002 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 113
oh, and once you get the hang of those story-telling concept albums (definately get some Ayreon, you'll love it!) also get Queensryche - Mindcrime. not very prog, musically, but one of the best Concept albums and a real 80s classic.

Jan 15, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by Demetrio

AYREON - The Final Experiment, Actual Fantasy, Into the Electric Castle & Universal Migrator (Parts 1 & 2)
TILES - Present of Mind
EVERON - Fantasma
DEREK SHERINIAN - Planet X
APOCALYTPICA - Inquisition Symphony

How could I forget this great Trip/Prog Metal band???...

THE GATHERING - "How to Measure a Planet" and "If_then_else" are just brilliant, you can't go wrong with them.

Jan 15, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by Demetrio

THE GATHERING - "How to Measure a Planet" and "If_then_else" are just brilliant, you can't go wrong with them.

AND THEY'RE DUTCH TOO!!!
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver

AND THEY'RE DUTCH TOO!!!

Yeah, they are indeed. The Netherlands are a great Prog-land: FOCUS, FINCH, KAYAK, SUPERSISTER, TRACE, AYREON, ODYSSICE, LIKE WENDY, THE GATHERING, these are just some of the many Dutch prog bands that I know. You are luck you live there!!!...

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 113
okay, half the bands you mention I've never heard before...
tongue.gif

prog is pretty big around here I guess (tho very small). Britain is better tho, they got all the big ones.

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
prog is pretty big around here I guess (tho very small). Britain is better tho, they got all the big ones.

To me, these were the true big "cellars" of progressive music in the 70's: UK, Italy, Germany, France and The Netherlands. In the 90's three other countries also consolidated their position of fertile places for this genre: USA, Sweden and Hungary. Yeah, let's not forget Norway too...
Of course I'm not saying that the genre became limited to these countries, there are also great prog bands from Spain, Finland, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, and so on, but the ones aforementioned are really the places where the genre grew with more vigour. (hey, folks, sorry for my poor English, okay?).

Jan 15, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk

Someone here (davidcotton?) recommended Nightwish -- Wishmaster, which is excellent!

Dusty

Yep that was me glad you like it!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can get hold of the DVD From Wishes to Eternity which is a live concert and four videos, I think its been released on ntsc format now if you havn't got a multi-region player. www.nightwish.com for details. If anything the versions on the live dvd kick even more ass than the studio ones. Tarja's just become my favourite female vocalist (sorry Tracy!(Hitchings) ) with Michelle Youngs new album close behind.

Actually theres another name I would throw in - Michelle Young with her Marked for Madness album which is a must for any early Kate Bush fans out there, you can order from www.verglas.com (label site for arena and also has own store)

One site to check for some good reviews is www.dprp.vuurwerk.nl which gets updated very regularly!

Not got much else to add to this thread really as most of the bands have been recommended already.

Coolvij, nice one on having the guts to try something a little different to the more mainstream stuff. Once you start you'll be amazed at how much fits under the progressive "label"!

The next "big" release I'm looking forward to is Clive Nolan/Oliver Wakemans collabaration Hound of the Baskervilles, can't wait....

Jan 15, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #15 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton
The next "big" release I'm looking forward to is Clive Nolan/Oliver Wakemans collabaration Hound of the Baskervilles, can't wait....

4 feb
smily_headphones1.gif

I still haven't got Marked For Madness
mad.gif
backordered! it's taking two months already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back