Progressive Rock?
Jan 17, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #31 of 113
DustyChalk: you can call me beginner if you wish. After all, I am being initiated into this intersting genre by some, eh, more advanced listeners, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll get blackwater park by Opeth.....if I don't like their most accesible album, I probably won't like their other stuff.

DarkAngel: Just wondering - how is the production on Theli and Runes? There's nothing I hate more than muddy production marring good music.....only exception being Hendrix......

Jan 17, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #32 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
I think I'll get blackwater park by Opeth.....if I don't like their most accesible album, I probably won't like their other stuff.

DarkAngel: Just wondering - how is the production on Theli and Runes? There's nothing I hate more than muddy production marring good music.....only exception being Hendrix......

Although released on obscure label called "nuclear blast" the sound quality is excellent. Therion is much more "accessable" to the average listener, Opeth is more extreme with some death vocals which will usually alienate the less adventurous listener.

Jan 17, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #33 of 113
What's life without adventure?
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #34 of 113
Braver

Just had an e-mail saying that my "hound" cd shipped, so it looks like I could be getting it for the weekend
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's hoping.....

Jan 18, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #35 of 113
Opeth kicks ass!

They mix Progressive Rock with Extreme Metal, and it works really well.

If you are a fan of Progressive Rock or Extreme Metal, then you own it yourself to at least check out one of their albums. BWP is the most accesible, but the rest are more complex, but if you like BWP, there just no way in hell you wouldn't like the rest. The vocals mix Extreme Vocals with Progressive style singing, that's one hell of a mix, talk about contrast! The lyrics are just like many Progressive bands, expect with a much darker theme.

Jan 20, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #36 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "progressive rock", but I own the Can CD Tago Mago. It has a loose, free form feel that owes a lot of its energy to jazz. They were a German band in the 60's that lots of experimental artists give cred to. The track "Halleluwah" is worth the price of the CD alone.

Yeah, that's exactly what Progressive Rock means
wink.gif

Agreed about Tago Mago, this is one of the best CAN releases indeed, but my personal favorite (from the ones I have) remains Saw Delight, it has a long track that reminds Pink Floyd a lot, and the other tracks are all great too. Monster Movie and Future Days are two others favorite of mine, so are Ege Bamyasi, Landed, Flow Motion...

Jan 22, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #37 of 113
Thanks for getting me out and about - listening to new stuff. I went to our resident metal professor at work and he gave me some Symphony X and some lesser knowns. Nice stuff, but not exactly where I wanted to be. I liked the vocals and I really liked DWOT.

Then I listened to Marillion-Were they for me or what- I started with Brave-outstanding!- I'll look for more-I tried "Afraid of Sunlight" more pop-oriented but OK.

And now The Gathering - "Mandylion" Great Voice and writing.

I'm pretty happy with the choices this weekend- I need more weekends like this one.

nick

Jan 22, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #38 of 113
Give yourself a favour and get some PORCUPINE TREE stuff next weekend. "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Signify" are great choices for you IMO, so are "Lightbulb Sun", "Stupid Dream" and the excellent live album "Coma Divine".

Jan 22, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #39 of 113
hey Nick, just getting into Marillion? Brave was my first one...damn that's one beautyfull album. not too happy with Paper Lies and Made Again, always skip cause they're not part of the story (and not in the movie either, I've heard). definately check out some Fish-era Marillion too, I'd start with Script For a Jester's Tear. also get Anoraknophobia. H-era Marillion might be more pop-ish, but remember, around the time of Kayleigh, Marillion was pop too
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #40 of 113
Demetrio-I'll look into Porcupine Tree

Braver- I'd found a tape of Brave at the library and am now looking for the CD. Is there a best one to choose, seems like more than one CD is available. A double album with one disc being orchestrated?

The tape that I have does not include the two songs that you mention, maybe they were not part of the movie and were just added to fill in the CD.

I got Waters of Eden today by Tony Levin - Very nice, but I don't know how to categorize it.

Jan 23, 2002 at 11:34 AM Post #41 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by nick danger
Demetrio-I'll look into Porcupine Tree

Braver- I'd found a tape of Brave at the library and am now looking for the CD. Is there a best one to choose, seems like more than one CD is available. A double album with one disc being orchestrated?

The tape that I have does not include the two songs that you mention, maybe they were not part of the movie and were just added to fill in the CD.

yeah, they're just filler, I left them out of my MD. prolly pushed by EMI or something..

there is indeed a remaster out. they remastered all the oldies too. I'd get the 2CD version. first disc is just the original D, but there's soem unreleased stuff on the second, some acoustic versions, demos remixes and an orchestral verison of The Great Escape. nothing really special, really fan-material, but worth getting anyway.

Quote:

I got Waters of Eden today by Tony Levin - Very nice, but I don't know how to categorize it.

ah, good
smily_headphones1.gif
I think it's very smooth and easy-listening, not the fireworks of some LTE stuff.

Jan 27, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #42 of 113
Braver - Have you heard "The thieving Magpie"? I think that there is a used copy around or should I get the jester's remaster?
I have no Fish era stuff at all and the live one sounds like it would give a good taste. I'm going to get the "brave" remaster as soon as I run into it.

Demetrio - I'm up to my ears in Porcupines, "Signify and stupid dream" Very nice stuff. Good musicians, great vocals, i CAN hear radiohead in there. Harmonies are exquisite (outfield or oasis) - who else do i hear, I'm not too sure I hear floyd, but who cares I like these guys!

Jan 27, 2002 at 8:28 AM Post #43 of 113
Quote:

Braver - Have you heard "The thieving Magpie"?

Thieving Magpie is an excellent introduction to Fish-era Marillion.

Jan 27, 2002 at 11:05 AM Post #44 of 113
Quote:

I'm up to my ears in Porcupines, "Signify and stupid dream" Very nice stuff. Good musicians, great vocals, i CAN hear radiohead in there. Harmonies are exquisite (outfield or oasis) - who else do i hear, I'm not too sure I hear floyd, but who cares I like these guys!

I'm really glad you are enjoying the Porcupine Tree stuff you've got, these are two of my favorites, but so are all PT releases to me...
wink.gif

PORCUPINE TREE has two distinct phases: the first, with the releases On the Sunday of Life, Up the Downstairs, The Sky Moves Sideways and Voyage 34-The Complete Trip, is very trippy, very spacey, reminding Pink Floyd a lot. Signify marks the transition from this period to a more song oriented stuff, reminding Radiohead a little like you noticed (the releases from this current phase are Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and the excellent collection of outtakes Recordings). And Coma Divine is an excellent live set featuring songs from both the periods (not to mention that this is one of the best live recordings I have ever heard).
So, once again, very glad you are enjoying this great stuff, and if their Floydian route sounds interesting for you, you can't go wrong with any of their early releases, very especially The Sky Moves Sideways.

Jan 27, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #45 of 113
Quote:

Braver - Have you heard "The thieving Magpie"? I think that there is a used copy around or should I get the jester's remaster?
I have no Fish era stuff at all and the live one sounds like it would give a good taste.

should be a good live compilation. has the entire Misplaced Childhood story on dsc 2 IIRC. Haven't got it myself tho, only the studio versions. all Fish era stuff is great, with Script and Misplaced as the best, but Fugazi is a classic too. haven't got Clutching At Straws yet either. basically anything Fish-era is a good starting point (started with Script myself).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back