Prog rock
Jul 4, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #3,197 of 4,454
The new Porcupine Tree album is out!

Listening to it now. Fantastic!!!

On a related note, I’ve purchased the Wilson remix of Jethro Tull A La Mode. Another incredible effort from SW.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #3,198 of 4,454
Listening to it now. Fantastic!!!

On a related note, I’ve purchased the Wilson remix of Jethro Tull A La Mode. Another incredible effort from SW.
Thanks for the heads up, I think I missed "A". Last one I listened to was "Heavy Horses".

Jul 15, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #3,207 of 4,454
Jul 16, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #3,209 of 4,454
I was never into Marillion and their big hits like Kayleigh. Then Spotify suggested the solo Fish album Weltschmerz, which is excellent, start to finish. I was so not into Marillion, I did not even know Fish had left the band as long ago as 1988, replaced by Steve Hogarth. So, starting with FEAR, I gave them a go and wow! FEAR, Marbles, Happiness is the Road and the latest album, An Hour Before Its Dark are on pretty much constant rotate.

Jul 16, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #3,210 of 4,454
I was never into Marillion and their big hits like Kayleigh. Then Spotify suggested the solo Fish album Weltschmerz, which is excellent, start to finish. I was so not into Marillion, I did not even know Fish had left the band as long ago as 1988, replaced by Steve Hogarth. So, starting with FEAR, I gave them a go and wow! FEAR, Marbles, Happiness is the Road and the latest album, An Hour Before Its Dark are on pretty much constant rotate.

It's so funny I could write your post in the mirror. :) Because I LOVE all Fish@Marillion albums and I don't care much for Hogarth era, except until and including "Brave".

I don't want to argue or start a debate, of course we all like what we like and that's it. But Marillion in any form should not be reduced to "big hits" like Kayleigh or anything else they appeared with on Top Of The Pops. They are much more than that. "Hits" were made to please the record company, otherwise they couldn't survive in the 80's. Listen to "Clutching At Straws (2018 Remix)" album, start to finish, not to random hits, and if you don't like it, that's allright, different taste in music.

I for one think that everything Fish (solo) put out after "Internal Exile" is very weak, tired, generic and lacks focus and cohesion.

Same with all Hogarth@Marillion albums from 2000 on. They feel like a drifting ship to me, nothing grabbed my attention. 😑 I would happily listen to "Holidays in Eden" album instead. At least I'm getting a feel-good upbeat mood out of it. Actually I re-listened to it now - it may be more pop oriented, but such a beautiful, musical album, and puts Steve Hogarth's voice in the best light. And I'm realising now that on more recent albums they try so hard to tell an important, serious, pretentious story that they forget about music and albums get repetitive and boring.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back