Prog rock
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #1,561 of 4,446
Good week for releases this week :-

Galahad - Seas of Change. Doesn't get much more prog than the title track (only 3 tracks on the album!) at 42 minutes!

Magnum - Lost On The Road To Eternity. 20th (!) album from the pomp/prog/classic rockers from Birmingham. One of THE most underated and hard working bands around. If you like a slab of melodic classic rock, then do yourself and your ears a favour and check them out. New single from the album "Without Love" on youtube if you want to check them out.

Kayak - Seventeen. Virtually new lineup with only the original founding member Ton Scherpenzeel remaining.

Jan 17, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,562 of 4,446
Spartacus, from memory, beats it. Both great though

EDIT meaning Triumvirat?!?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #1,563 of 4,446

Galahad - Seas of Change. Doesn't get much more prog than the title track (only 3 tracks on the album!) at 42 minutes!

Magnum - Lost On The Road To Eternity. 20th (!) album from the pomp/prog/classic rockers from Birmingham. One of THE most underated and hard working bands around. If you like a slab of melodic classic rock, then do yourself and your ears a favour and check them out. New single from the album "Without Love" on youtube if you want to check them out.

Kayak - Seventeen. Virtually new lineup with only the original founding member Ton Scherpenzeel remaining.
I remember enjoying playing Chase the Dragon (Magum) very loud in deed in the 80s. Soldier of the Line in particular was repeated constantly meaning pinpoint positioning of the stylus. You had to work a lot harder for your thrills in those days.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #1,564 of 4,446
Listening to Moving Pictures, Rush in the early hours. Many, many hundreds of times over the last 35 years never ever tire of it. From 77 to 85 in particular they could do no wrong. Incredible stuff from just a trio

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,565 of 4,446
I became a Rush fan the instant I heard the opening bars of Working Man :)

As for Magnum, seen them many, many times, from the Student Union to Donington, they never disappoint. Got all of their albums too, so this one will have to be added ASAP.

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #1,566 of 4,446
Listening to Moving Pictures, Rush in the early hours. Many, many hundreds of times over the last 35 years never ever tire of it. From 77 to 85 in particular they could do no wrong. Incredible stuff from just a trio
Graduated High School in 82. The first album I heard from them (album, not the usual suspects that may have been on FM radio then) was Hemispheres. And man, did I beat that cassette to death. It's still tied with Caress of Steel for my favorite.

Jan 18, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #1,567 of 4,446

Tidal is always late with new albums availability :frowning2: apart from hip-hop albums of course...
Only the new Kayak is available. Will check it out.
Listened to Magnum - "On A Storyteller's Night" and "The Valley Of Tears". And the new video! Very nice 80's style melodic rock. Thanks!

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,571 of 4,446
New BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME song

I liked that a lot, but what is the deal with the angry distorted satan vocals lol? I've never understood the purpose of that effect.

The rest of it is pretty cool though (even though I'm not a huge metal fan).

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #1,572 of 4,446
Jan 19, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,573 of 4,446
I liked that a lot, but what is the deal with the angry distorted satan vocals lol? I've never understood the purpose of that effect.

The rest of it is pretty cool though (even though I'm not a huge metal

It's sort of an acquired taste I suppose. Just like I can't stand black metal for similar reasons. I love btbam but it took a while to get used to their odd song structures and giles more unique "growls". But it's all really genius very technical genre blending stuff. Having said that, I've been a metal head since I was a kid so I like his vocals, both growls and his cleans. Also, they're not prog rock in the slightest, not even really prog metal so to say, just some insanely talented genre defying dudes that make exceptional albums. Glad to see they're making new music still, coma ecliptic was a masterpiece, to me.

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,574 of 4,446
It's sort of an acquired taste I suppose. Just like I can't stand black metal for similar reasons. I love btbam but it took a while to get used to their odd song structures and giles more unique "growls". But it's all really genius very technical genre blending stuff. Having said that, I've been a metal head since I was a kid so I like his vocals, both growls and his cleans. Also, they're not prog rock in the slightest, not even really prog metal so to say, just some insanely talented genre defying dudes that make exceptional albums. Glad to see they're making new music still, coma ecliptic was a masterpiece, to me.

Good post. I can see/hear the talent. After that video finished playing, I was quite enjoying the next video that came up (below), but once again got disappointed once the growls kicked in. I like them a lot though, so I'm going to keep listening (checking out coma ecliptic now - thanks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back