Prog rock
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #1,456 of 4,462
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #1,457 of 4,462
IMG_2323.JPG
If anyone is interested in RPI, Rock Progressivo Italiano, there is no better place to start than Premiata Forneria Marconi' or PFM's 'Per un Amico' widely considered if not the best ever RPI album certainly in the top 3. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #1,458 of 4,462
PFM were greatbut the biggest prog band in Italy in the early 70s was.......
the one and only Van der Graaf Generator

They had a fanatical cult following and we're literally numero uno in 72 in the Italian charts with Pawn Hearts.

They and Peter Hammill's solo albums are a must listen for seriously hardcore Progressivonisti. Try Godbluff (obviously!!'), H to He, Who am the Only one (strangest title ever surely l), Still Life and PH's Over and Silent Corner and the Empty stage for starters. And then get everything else;
both solo and group as I have. Still going strong(ish) after all these years (less Jaxon))

This seriously dark prog band seems to have gone of the radar here after the mysterious disappearance of willyvlyminck.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #1,459 of 4,462
Ah. Italian Prog. What do you guys think of Ufomammut? I personally view them as an ultra-heavy spawn of the earlier Italian stuff. Especially "Eve", which to be is the most resembling Goblin with the haunting, repetitive guitar work.

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #1,460 of 4,462
The new "The Tangent – The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery"
Pretty interesting album with some Genesis similarities + jazz rock / fusion sound in places. A bit flat but worth a listen. Good as background music when working.

The-Tangent-The-Slow-Rust-Of-Forgotten-Machinery-2017.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #1,461 of 4,462
Ah. Italian Prog. What do you guys think of Ufomammut? I personally view them as an ultra-heavy spawn of the earlier Italian stuff. Especially "Eve", which to be is the most resembling Goblin with the haunting, repetitive guitar work.
I'm not familiar with those but will surely investigate when I get home from holiday and can use my WiFi :)

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #1,462 of 4,462
Agreed. Here's some Phil Collins-era Genesis. I LOVE this album, BTW. One of the best, most cohesive albums they ever did...

Very good album indeed, to me it sounds ahead of its time. I have to listen to early Collins-era more often.

And interesting how Phil Collins got to become a vocalist:
"A Trick of the Tail is the seventh studio album by English progressive rock band Genesis. It was released in February 1976 on Charisma Records and was the first album to feature drummer Phil Collins as lead vocalist following the departure of Peter Gabriel. It was a critical and commercial success in the UK and U.S., reaching No. 3 and No. 31 respectively.

Following Gabriel's decision to leave the band, the remaining members wanted to carry on and show they could still write and record successful material. The group wrote and rehearsed new songs during mid-1975, and listened to around 400 audition tapes for a replacement frontman. They entered Trident Studios in October with producer David Hentschel to record the album without a definitive idea of who was going to perform lead vocals. Eventually, Collins was persuaded to sing "Squonk", and the performance was so strong, he sang lead on the rest of album.

Upon release, critics were impressed by the improved sound quality and the group's ability to survive the loss of Gabriel without sacrificing the quality of the music."

Provided by Wikipedia under Creative Commons Attribution CC-BY-SA 4.0

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #1,463 of 4,462
I'm not familiar with those but will surely investigate when I get home from holiday and can use my WiFi :)

Allow me to assist:

Disclaimer: I'm not saying at all that this is Prog. But, the Goblin influence is unmistakable, especially on the first track. Be warned: this is some of the heaviest drone/doom ever recorded. More structure than Sunn 0))), but still mind-numbingly dense and heavy.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,464 of 4,462
Allow me to assist:
Disclaimer: I'm not saying at all that this is Prog. But, the Goblin influence is unmistakable, especially on the first track. Be warned: this is some of the heaviest drone/doom ever recorded. More structure than Sunn 0))), but still mind-numbingly dense and heavy.

Ha! You warned me!

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #1,465 of 4,462
Haha, yes, maybe too much SW love here.

Here is a guy who does not get enough

Enjoyed this album, thanks!
Especially the second part from "Snakeskin" on has a very original "witches rock" sound. Favorite track > "Sleepwalking".

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,466 of 4,462
If anyone is interested in RPI, Rock Progressivo Italiano, there is no better place to start than Premiata Forneria Marconi' or PFM's 'Per un Amico' widely considered if not the best ever RPI album certainly in the top 3. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Dear Prog Forum, it saddens me to inform you that Spook76 (aka Steve) passed away last night. He is a dear friend of mine and I know many of you have engaged with him on this forum over the past year or so. He often refers to me as his Prog Mentor, and that will always make me proud.

He was a proud husband, brother and son and will be missed by all. Although many of you have never met him, I thought you should know as you may be looking forward to his insights and opinions about prog music and his absence will be evident.

RIP Spook.

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #1,467 of 4,462
Dear Prog Forum, it saddens me to inform you that Spook76 (aka Steve) passed away last night. He is a dear friend of mine and I know many of you have engaged with him on this forum over the past year or so. He often refers to me as his Prog Mentor, and that will always make me proud.

He was a proud husband, brother and son and will be missed by all. Although many of you have never met him, I thought you should know as you may be looking forward to his insights and opinions about prog music and his absence will be evident.

RIP Spook.
Thanks for letting us know JMAC. I sure hope you keep coming around!

Since you knew him well, would be please let us know what his favorite Prog album might be? Those of us who are inclined can listen to it in remembrance...

-Scott

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #1,468 of 4,462
This is tough because he loved a lot of Prog music and has been discovering new bands and sub genres every day. But I feel confident he would be pleased with the following...

Steve's favorite classic Prog album would probably be Genesis Selling England By the Pound. His favorite newer Prog would likely be Big Big Train English Electric Full Power.

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #1,469 of 4,462
I'm so sorry to learn of Steve's passing. Thanks for sharing, and I hope he didn't suffer. My younger brother was killed in a motorcycle accident 2 years ago. The numbness has subsided but I will miss him forever. May the force be with you and his loved ones. RIP.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #1,470 of 4,462
This is tough because he loved a lot of Prog music and has been discovering new bands and sub genres every day. But I feel confident he would be pleased with the following...

Steve's favorite classic Prog album would probably be Genesis Selling England By the Pound. His favorite newer Prog would likely be Big Big Train English Electric Full Power.

Thanks for sharing that. Selling England might very well be my favorite album as well, so I will thinking of Steve the next time I play it.

My thoughts go out to you and to everyone who was close to him, and to his family. I am relatively new to this forum, but I will miss him and his contributions. I discovered a lot of great prog via his posts. I assume that he discovered a lot of that through you, so like swspiers, I also hope that you keep coming around to this thread.

Take care,
Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back