Prog rock
Aug 18, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,426 of 4,411
Oh, you may have missed the irony in my post. My bad: I've been listening to the Indie band Cake lately, and it's like everything I write becomes a snarky joke from a Millennial. "Tales" is one extreme of unlistenable (although I really really really love the album, I understand the loathing it can evoke), "Stations" is another. Then there's the issue of the extreme "V" shape signature of the cans.

In other words, after immersing ourselves in the most extreme samples, we can regain balance....

Ha ha - that's good! Thanks for clarifying!

That said, I like my Vmoda M100's (heavy and gaudy looking, but the only headphones that sound good enough, and block out the sound well enough at the gym). And I love my Ultrasone HFI-680's. So there lol!

Edit: I guess I like my bass lol

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #1,427 of 4,411
With all the talk of Steven Wilson, I am listening to what to me is his masterpiece in his career so far. Porcupine Tree's 'Fear of a Blank Planet' in glorious 48/24. My God is Gavin Harrison amazing.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #1,428 of 4,411
With all the talk of Steven Wilson, I am listening to what to me is his masterpiece in his career so far. Porcupine Tree's 'Fear of a Blank Planet' in glorious 48/24. My God is Gavin Harrison amazing.
I don't what it is about that album, but I just can't connect with it. And I love PT. Other than Time Flies & I Drive the Hearse, it just leaves me cold. Don't mean to be a bummer here. And I do agree with you about Gavin. I think he's about as close to Peart as any drummer going today.

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #1,429 of 4,411
I don't what it is about that album, but I just can't connect with it. And I love PT. Other than Time Flies & I Drive the Hearse, it just leaves me cold. Don't mean to be a bummer here. And I do agree with you about Gavin. I think he's about as close to Peart as any drummer going today.
Unfortunately, you are thinking of the last Porcupine Tree album, 'The Incident'. 'Fear of a Blank Planet is only 6 songs with the brilliant song "Anesthetize" (with the Alex Lifeson's guitar solo) as its centerpiece.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,430 of 4,411
Unfortunately, you are thinking of the last Porcupine Tree album, 'The Incident'. 'Fear of a Blank Planet is only 6 songs with the brilliant song "Anesthetize" (with the Alex Lifeson's guitar solo) as its centerpiece.
Getting old sucks. First thing to go is the memory. Oh well, you're right. The Incident is the album I just can't get into.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #1,431 of 4,411
Getting old sucks. First thing to go is the memory. Oh well, you're right. The Incident is the album I just can't get into.
I feel your pain. I turned 50 last year and my brain turned to mush. As for 'The Incident' while I agree it is not one of the Tree's best remember it is a concept album and try listening without interruption from start to finish and it may come to you. Hell, it took me almost 40 years to "get" Genesis' 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'.

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,432 of 4,411
I feel your pain. I turned 50 last year and my brain turned to mush. As for 'The Incident' while I agree it is not one of the Tree's best remember it is a concept album and try listening without interruption from start to finish and it may come to you. Hell, it took me almost 40 years to "get" Genesis' 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'.
For me, the concept of the album is probably the weak point. The song writing is what's lacking for me on The Incident. I don't know, I listen to it, then I listen to Stevens solo albums. And I think I understand why he went solo. I don't know if he could have done something like Grace For Drowning while still being in PT. And I love PT for the most part. It's just a different vibe than Stevens solo music.

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #1,433 of 4,411
Not me. I just graduated with a Masters at 54: and I'm just getting started. But the Prog (and Stoner/Doom) keeps my mind young and limber! That, and really, good, dark-roast coffee...

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #1,434 of 4,411
IMG_4576.JPG

I owe all here an apology. Steven Wilson's 'To The Bone' is not as bad as I thought and wrote. Also, I found a way to salvage a pretty decent Porcupine Tree album from it. If you delete songs 2-3 and 6-7 you are left with 7 songs and 46 minutes of Porcupine Tree lite music reminiscent of 'In Absentia' or Deadwing'. Again, I apologize for ranting before giving the album more listens. I hope for those like me that thought it was a complete sell out to give the edited album a chance as it is quite good.

p.s. The 96/24 from HDTracks sounds fantastic

p.p.s. After deleting those four songs, the flow of the album is remarkably smooth which makes me think the seven remaining songs were the original album with the pop songs bolted on to give it the pop moniker.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #1,435 of 4,411

I owe all here an apology. Steven Wilson's 'To The Bone' is not as bad as I thought and wrote. Also, I found a way to salvage a pretty decent Porcupine Tree album from it. If you delete songs 2-3 and 6-7 you are left with 7 songs and 46 minutes of Porcupine Tree lite music reminiscent of 'In Absentia' or Deadwing'. Again, I apologize for ranting before giving the album more listens. I hope for those like me that thought it was a complete sell out to give the edited album a chance as it is quite good.

p.p.s. After deleting those four songs, the flow of the album is remarkably smooth which makes me think the seven remaining songs were the original album with the pop songs bolted on to give it the pop moniker.

The cool thing about being among friends: we get to be wrong and not have it held against us. As long as one can take a gentle teasing on occasion...

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,436 of 4,411
The cool thing about being among friends: we get to be wrong and not have it held against us. As long as one can take a gentle teasing on occasion...
Hehe thank you and of course teasing is not only allowed it is encouraged. Let us face facts progressive music fans are members of a small cult. Most music people hate our music.

My sister and her family just got back from Sweden to visit her brother in law's family. I listed a bunch of great Swedish progressive bands like Anekdoten, Opeth, Karmakanic, Flower Kings, Beardfish, Katatonia, Vulcan, etc. and no one had heard of any of the bands.

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,437 of 4,411

Liking the new album also. I think people have forgotten that PT had albums before In Absentia, Maybe because some of them are not available in popular streaming services? This one kind of reminds me of a more cheerful Lightbulb Sun.

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #1,438 of 4,411
Please, pretty please start a separate thread titled 'The Steven Wilson appreciation thread'

Apologies to all his adoring fans but the obsession with this bloke completely escapes me

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #1,440 of 4,411
Please, pretty please start a separate thread titled 'The Steven Wilson appreciation thread'

Apologies to all his adoring fans but the obsession with this bloke completely escapes me

Agreed. Here's some Phil Collins-era Genesis. I LOVE this album, BTW. One of the best, most cohesive albums they ever did...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back