Prog rock
Aug 10, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #1,411 of 4,417
Also, Wilson admitted that on '4 1/2' the "live" version of "Don't Hate Me" sung as a duet was remastered in the studio. To eliminate crowd noise or improve his voice? Please listen to the live album I mentioned and draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #1,412 of 4,417
I have the album right here and I have listened to it quite a few times since I got it. Which tracks? Do you have timings for the obvious autotune within the tracks? Because I can't find any. This isn't conflicting to what you or I wrote. Maybe you are the one who has trouble with literacy considering you are attacking mine with no grounds.

Also, going on a brash tirade calling someone an abysmal singer because of one live album out of dozens of releases is a sign of mental illness.

Aug 10, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #1,413 of 4,417
I have the album right here and I have listened to it quite a few times since I got it. Which tracks? Do you have timings for the obvious autotune within the tracks? Because I can't find any. This isn't conflicting to what you or I wrote. Maybe you are the one who has trouble with literacy considering you are attacking mine with no grounds.

Also, going on a brash tirade calling someone an abysmal singer because of one live album out of dozens of releases is a sign of mental illness.

I went from brash to having a mental illness.

Are you reading my posts? Clearly not. The autotune is happening on the studio albums because of you listen to the live album there is absolutely no comparison.

Aug 10, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #1,414 of 4,417
Usually what happens in a studio when a singer wants to get a song just right, a great many takes will be done and the best ones will be spliced together to create the vocal track for a song. This process happens in the movie industry as well from time to time, filming the same scene over and over and then cutting together the best takes.

When performing live, often you can only do one single take, or the audience will think something strange is going on if you try to re-do it live. This often means that a live performance will not be as technically clean as a studio performance. I hope my post makes sense. Otherwise I could draw a chart perhaps.

Aug 10, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #1,415 of 4,417
Usually what happens in a studio when a singer wants to get a song just right, a great many takes will be done and the best ones will be spliced together to create the vocal track for a song. This process happens in the movie industry as well from time to time, filming the same scene over and over and then cutting together the best takes.

When performing live, often you can only do one single take, or the audience will think something strange is going on if you try to re-do it live. This often means that a live performance will not be as technically clean as a studio performance. I hope my post makes sense. Otherwise I could draw a chart perhaps.
I would love a chart thank you. All kidding aside how do you reconcile the live album with the studio. To me it was a moment of cognitive dissonance.

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #1,416 of 4,417
I will not endlessly debate with you but please remember this is a thread dedicated to progressive rock and in no way shape or form is 'To The Bone' progressive. Further, comparing it to 'The Raven That Refused to Sing' a masterpiece of progressive music, is a joke.
I was just following three posts about the album, not started the debate. I also said is not a prog album in the traditional sense, but still a website called progressivemusicplanet.com reviewed it and someone brought it up here...
I can compare it to any album in terms of whether I like it or not, which is subjective, and I did just that.
I equally like "The Raven That Refused To Sing", "The Unforgettable Fire", "Mutter", "Thriller" and "Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No.1". I'm not comparing them I just like them.
I agree Wilson is not the best vocalist, and I said this many pages ago in this thread somewhere, but at the same time his vocal style fits his music, doesn't need to sing like Freddie Mercury. I think that if he uses autotune, he does it sparsely for some effect, not to improve his voice. But I think he should stay away from singing in higher registers or falsetto as on "Same Asylum As Before", sounds off and forced to me.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #1,418 of 4,417
Aug 13, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #1,419 of 4,417
IMG_4555.JPG
For those looking for a truly beautiful album, try Quella Vecchia Locanda's self titled first album. From Wikipedia, "[a]ccording to an interview with Don V. Lax, the violin player of the first album, 'I would find some Bach or Brahms or Corelli and weave it into the music so we were making a classical-rock fusion." Simply a stunning album from 1972 the lyrics are sung in Italian but do not let that put you off.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #1,420 of 4,417
Give a try to "Amplifier - Trippin' with Dr Faustus". Came out last month. "Kosmos" was posted some time ago in this thread. I find the album very good. I'd call the sound of it "psychedelic grunge" :)

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,421 of 4,417
Hmmm. All of a sudden the best "prog" thread on the 'net is turning out like all the others. I love you guys, but the "illiterate" comments and arguing about 'who's worse' is just not up to the standards in this thread overall.

May I suggest immersion therapy with "Tales from Topographic Oceans" through a set of V-Moda or Ultrasone cans, followed by repeated sessions with "Calling All Stations" to re-establish balance and harmony in the world?

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #1,422 of 4,417
Read this while you're listening to the album that's released today
https://www.facebook.com/notes/stev...track-by-track-guide-part-1/1564639350222988/

I listened to it many times now and my appreciation for it just grew.
I don't care about categorizations, it is an accomplished, innovative and pleasant album for me, and coming from an artist with his background, I think there's nothing wrong in talking about this album in this thread. I'm for flexibility :)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,423 of 4,417
I bought what is considered the best live Porcupine Tree album, 'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here' soundtrack from Burning Shed. It was recorded in Chicago in 2005 so presumably Wilson was at the top of his game as he was in his late 20's when it was recorded. Simply put that man cannot sing. After three tracks I was so disgusted that I deleted the album and am trying to forget it. Steven Wilson is the king of autotune.

Is this what you are referring to?:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW8OK-Y2q7EvXXEiGskhRnbYQ6wounC54

If so, I think his voice sounds pretty good. There are a few weaker spots, but for the most part he's in tune, and basically sounds as good or even better than I was expecting for live recordings.

In fact, I'm really happy that I just listened to the whole thing. Awesome.

For those looking for a truly beautiful album, try Quella Vecchia Locanda's self titled first album. From Wikipedia, "[a]ccording to an interview with Don V. Lax, the violin player of the first album, 'I would find some Bach or Brahms or Corelli and weave it into the music so we were making a classical-rock fusion." Simply a stunning album from 1972 the lyrics are sung in Italian but do not let that put you off.

Thanks for that! Really great. Listening to their second album now.

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #1,424 of 4,417
Hmmm. All of a sudden the best "prog" thread on the 'net is turning out like all the others. I love you guys, but the "illiterate" comments and arguing about 'who's worse' is just not up to the standards in this thread overall.

May I suggest immersion therapy with "Tales from Topographic Oceans" through a set of V-Moda or Ultrasone cans, followed by repeated sessions with "Calling All Stations" to re-establish balance and harmony in the world?
While I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments, unfortunately, 'Tales from Topographic Oceans' would never get me there. I agree with Rick Wakeman that Tales was a disaster. Remember he spent the time in the studio when Jon Anderson was wanking in the other studio hanging out with Black Sabbath while they recorded 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'. We did get the beautiful "Sabbra Cadabbra" with Wakeman on keyboards.

p.s. Even Steven Wilson with his beautiful 96/24 remix could not save Tales for me.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #1,425 of 4,417
While I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments, unfortunately, 'Tales from Topographic Oceans' would never get me there. I agree with Rick Wakeman that Tales was a disaster. Remember he spent the time in the studio when Jon Anderson was wanking in the other studio hanging out with Black Sabbath while they recorded 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'. We did get the beautiful "Sabbra Cadabbra" with Wakeman on keyboards.

p.s. Even Steven Wilson with his beautiful 96/24 remix could not save Tales for me.

Oh, you may have missed the irony in my post. My bad: I've been listening to the Indie band Cake lately, and it's like everything I write becomes a snarky joke from a Millennial. "Tales" is one extreme of unlistenable (although I really really really love the album, I understand the loathing it can evoke), "Stations" is another. Then there's the issue of the extreme "V" shape signature of the cans.

In other words, after immersing ourselves in the most extreme samples, we can regain balance....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back