Prog rock
Mar 8, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,096 of 4,447
He already has. I posted about this album last November when I bought copy and it is called 'Breaking Habits'. More rock than progressive but with his bass and vocals it is fantastic.

Here is a link from Bandcamp to buy the digital album for the very reasonable price of $7.99.
https://mellergolyzniakduda.bandcamp.com/releases

Hmm, I seem to like everything that Duda is involved with! That Breaking Habits album is great.

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #1,097 of 4,447
How can you tell they are using auto-tune?

I think I can handle the auto-tune on this one. That's an awesome song. "Spiritual Migration" is going into my cart.

I have been reading up to answer your question. Since auto tune has been around almost 20 years assume most albums today have some auto tune to some degree. Steven Wilson has admitted using for himself and on some of Opeth's songs he mastered. Compare almost all modern songs to Gabriel era Genesis. Notice how Peter's vocals are off pitch on occasion. Well today they would auto correct that to be pitch perfect.

Think of it as photoshop for vocals or electronic drum kits

I don't necessarily mind auto-tune used with moderation, sparse, creatively, or for small corrections, but I hate the overused one, the kind rap, modern R'n'B and mainstream music uses heavily as an effect. I think it's dated and out of place for prog or metal. And it's happening on the first two minutes of that Persephone song.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #1,099 of 4,447
  I don't necessarily mind auto-tune used with moderation, sparse, creatively, or for small corrections, but I hate the overused one, the kind rap, modern R'n'B and mainstream music uses heavily as an effect.

Okay, that was one of the worst songs I have ever heard. Yikes. But, I'm not sure auto-tune actually makes it worse.

However, I agree with your larger point: As a unnoticeable corrective tool, auto-tune is fine, but when it tries to function as an instrument in its own right, the result is pretty terrible.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #1,102 of 4,447
<a data-cke-saved-href="http://gostaberlingssaga.bandcamp.com/album/sersophane" href="http://gostaberlingssaga.bandcamp.com/album/sersophane">Sersophane by Gösta Berlings Saga</a>

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #1,104 of 4,447
I have been listening to Nad Sylvan's "Courting the Widow" album on Tidal and it's pretty good. Many great guest musicians such as: Steve Hackett, Nick D'Virgilio, Nick Beggs, Doane Perry, Roine Stolt, Roger King, Garry O'Toole, Rob Townsend. I really like the 22 minute "To turn the other side" track, but can't find it in youtube to link to.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #1,106 of 4,447
Hey guys,

I'm reaching back to 1971 for this one. Uriah Heap's "Salisbury." If you're not familiar with this band or this album, or if you don't love it dearly, this might not matter to you very much. But I'm here to tell you that this 2016 re-master of this disc is unbelievable! I was brought to tears at least five times while listening to it, and got so choked up during the title track that I had to stop for a few seconds. On my Sennheiser HD-800S's, this remaster is absolutely astounding. I'm going to come out and say it: this may be the single best remaster I have ever heard in my life. I'm probably going to write a full review, and start its own thread.

One word of warning: this is vintage 1970 stereo engineering. The vocals on many songs are either hard right, or hard left. Anyway, it took me about 15 minutes to collect myself so I could write this. I don't believe I have ever heard a rerelease leave me so flipping stunned, speechless, and in awe of what I just heard. It is an astonishing accomplishment, with the sound quality I would expect from a 24/96 rendition.

Finally got around to this one. Never heard of this band before. This is an excellent album and an awesome recommend. Thank you for suggesting this!

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,107 of 4,447
  Here you go Wayne.                   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP1-0TTftaU

Thanks Charlie. I did see that one, but it shows as "not available" to me. Probably only only available to the US - which is great if you're in the US!

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #1,108 of 4,447
The new Blackfield album is very enjoyable. However, IMO it is neither "prog" nor "rock", they have gone full out pop! Nice to have (yet another) pop album to listen to, but a shame to see such talent move so strongly from a progressive (and even just plain rock) sound.

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,109 of 4,447
The new Blackfield album is very enjoyable. However, IMO it is neither "prog" nor "rock", they have gone full out pop! Nice to have (yet another) pop album to listen to, but a shame to see such talent move so strongly from a progressive (and even just plain rock) sound.

True but that was/is the point of Blackfield, Steven Wilson's attempt at pure pop music. I kind of liked the first album but have steered clear of them since that time. Good pop but not my cup of tea.

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #1,110 of 4,447
True but that was/is the point of Blackfield, Steven Wilson's attempt at pure pop music. I kind of liked the first album but have steered clear of them since that time. Good pop but not my cup of tea.

Ah, well then ignore my comments - they were made in ignorance. My first exposure to them, I just saw the SW name and tried it out. It's good pop, but not really anything I would listen to again.

Why are they being brought up in a prog thread then?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back