Prog rock
Feb 23, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #1,051 of 4,478

Brain Salad Surgery is well worth listening to as well. Have you heard Trilogy by them? Also pretty great. Don't know if anything they did matched the madness that is Tarkus though.

Brian Salad Surgery is considered by many, including myself to be ELP's finest album.

For Yes - The Yes album while maybe not their best is a fantastic album (tho very under-rated) 
and one of their best  -
esp. the Tidal MQA/Masters version.

Jethro Tull fanatics - A Passion Play is also under-rated and Tull's best IMHO.

Yes's 2nd album along with Fragile are my favorites. You can certainly see how their song writing improved along the way and adding Rick Wakeman on keyboards was huge. Their 4th album was self indulgent and their lyrics were senseless. Coincidently after Bill Bruford left, I lost interest.
Passion is an excellent album!

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,056 of 4,478
One of the most influential prog rock/metal bands for me is Dream Theater. I just love their songs and I love how they create that melody. I also like Rush (which is one of the influences of the band Dream Theater).

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #1,057 of 4,478
  One of the most influential prog rock/metal bands for me is Dream Theater. I just love their songs and I love how they create that melody. I also like Rush (which is one of the influences of the band Dream Theater).

I still need to explore Dream Theater  more. They might veer a bit much into the metal side of things for my tastes, but we'll see.

So far my most favorite "more modern-era" prog bands are Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, and I've recently really been getting into Riverside - amazing! (so sad about the passing of Piotr Grudziński!).

But this thread is continuously introducing me to other wonderful prog music, so the journey happily continues
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #1,058 of 4,478
I still need to explore Dream Theater  more. They might veer a bit much into the metal side of things for my tastes, but we'll see.

So far my most favorite "more modern-era" prog bands are Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, and I've recently really been getting into Riverside - amazing! (so sad about the passing of Piotr Grudziński!).

But this thread is continuously introducing me to other wonderful prog music, so the journey happily continues
:beerchug:

If you are enjoying Riverside do not overlook their live album 'Reality Dream'. It combines songs from Riverside's first three albums. An excellent recording also to my knowledge the only live concept album. Breathtaking.

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #1,060 of 4,478

Will see them on May 20 in Bucharest 
wink.gif

Images & Words 25th Anniversary Tour
http://www.dreamtheater.net/25Tour

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #1,063 of 4,478
Wow, can't wait!
"Is This the Life We Really Want?"
The new album from Roger Waters
Available May 19th

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #1,065 of 4,478
<a data-cke-saved-href="http://kshettra.bandcamp.com/album/five-mothers" href="http://kshettra.bandcamp.com/album/five-mothers">Five Mothers by Kshettra</a>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back