Prog rock
Nov 22, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #736 of 4,531
I have a bone to pick with everyone that has contributed to this thread.  When am I supposed to find the time to sleep if I'm listening to music during my free time?  Does anyone here do both at the same time? 

There's a veritable bounty of musical riches in the 49 pages of this thread!  From those bands I know and love: Iron Maiden, Yes, Rush, The Neal Morse Band, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, ...

To those I have forgotten to time: Marillion (I saw them open for Rush), Karmakanic, Audiovox, Uriah Heep, ...

To those I just discovered and love: John Wesley, Big Big Train, The Phoenix Foundation, Rick Drumm & Fatty Necroses, Phronesis, Jizue, and too many to have the time to even check out right now...

To an initial response of indifference that morphed into something different - an outright foot-tapping delight: Electric Outlet, Haken...or an episode of minor head-banging: Gojira. 

And I haven't even started processing the information on the quality of the sound of the recordings/downloads/remixes/remasters.  I've just dipped my toes into the water. I may to have to buy another SSD for my library. 

This was all quite unexpected. 
wink.gif
Thank you. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #737 of 4,531
I have a bone to pick with everyone that has contributed to this thread.  When am I supposed to find the time to sleep if I'm listening to music during my free time?  Does anyone here do both at the same time? 

There's a veritable bounty of musical riches in the 49 pages of this thread!  From those bands I know and love: Iron Maiden, Yes, Rush, The Neal Morse Band, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, ...

To those I have forgotten to time: Marillion (I saw them open for Rush), Karmakanic, Audiovox, Uriah Heep, ...

To those I just discovered and love: John Wesley, Big Big Train, The Phoenix Foundation, Rick Drumm & Fatty Necroses, Phronesis, Jizue, and too many to have the time to even check out right now...

To an initial response of indifference that morphed into something different - an outright foot-tapping delight: Electric Outlet, Haken...or an episode of minor head-banging: Gojira. 

And I haven't even started processing the information on the quality of the sound of the recordings/downloads/remixes/remasters.  I've just dipped my toes into the water. I may to have to buy another SSD for my library. 

This was all quite unexpected.  :wink: Thank you. 

Hey, welcome to the party! Looking forward to you joining the conversation.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #739 of 4,531
On my third listen and if I was forced to choose one album as album of the year it would be The Neal Morse Band's 'The Similitude Of A Dream'.

FYI, if you are a fool like me who does not compromise, radiantrecords.com is selling a digital download WAV file in 16/48.

I guess I better spin this soon. You guys are giving it high praise.

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #743 of 4,531
I always think of progressive rock as the broad umbrella that encompasses all progressive music with prog metal, symphonic prog, neo prog, etc. as sub classifications.

Fair enough. I wouldnt classify something like Haken metal, though.

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #745 of 4,531
Well, maybe not 'Affinity' their lastest album but certainly their masterpiece 'Visions' I would consider progressive metal.

I don't recall visions being very heavy, but I will listen to it again.

Did agilloch break up?

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #746 of 4,531
I don't recall visions being very heavy, but I will listen to it again.

Did agilloch break up?

Based upon the time since their last album it is likely Agilloch broke up. Honestly, I have never really enjoyed death/doom metal with the exception of Opeth and post death growls Katatonia so I am no expert on the genre.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #747 of 4,531
Based upon the time since their last album it is likely Agilloch broke up. Honestly, I have never really enjoyed death/doom metal with the exception of Opeth and post death growls Katatonia so I am no expert on the genre.

Really? Yes, Agilloch do have what I would describe as a black/doom sound, but their compilations are very progressive in nature. A specially so I think with The Mantle.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #749 of 4,531
Good enough for me. I just bought 'The Mantle' and will give it a few spins. Thank you for the recommendation.

Oh man, I hope I didn't swear you wrong! They definitely have the growl going on so it might not be your thing. When I first discovered them I though they were prog (mantle) bland was surprised to hear people describe them as melodic black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back