Prog rock
Oct 1, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #571 of 4,569
Looks like the lack of coherence on this album was intentional. Also, I thought I heard jazz influences there:

http://www.popmatters.com/review/opeth-sorceress/

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #572 of 4,569
The new Insomnium is really good 
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #573 of 4,569
Insomnium new one is out???

Love those guys. Like a lot. Last album will be hard to follow though.

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #576 of 4,569
Listened to sorceress again. First time admittedly I was using my hd700 with all my kids in the room. Basically a crap experience. This time using iems by myself.

It is basically a homage to all the influences on their progression as a band. Almost comes across like a final far well to their extreme roots, looking toward their future in progressive Rock. It is experimental; a close and intimate look at all the musical styles they have been experimenting with in more recent years.

I was wrong, the writing is not banal or simple, but rather a homage to the expanding musical influences they must be having to so drastically change their musical style. It is experimental for them, but not super original. I am seeing a glimpse of something interesting here and it will require more spins for sure.

Without a doubt my first impression was off base.

Although I had no problem with diverging opinions (that's actually interesting about music and art in general), I'm glad you find the album better.

Looks like the lack of coherence on this album was intentional. Also, I thought I heard jazz influences there:

http://www.popmatters.com/review/opeth-sorceress/

Good review, and it is very satisfying for me that the influences I picked up (Sabbath, Tull, Purple) are confirmed by this review.
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #577 of 4,569

Although I had no problem with diverging opinions (that's actually interesting about music and art in general), I'm glad you find the album better.

Good review, and it is very satisfying for me that the influences I picked up (Sabbath, Tull, Purple) are confirmed by this review.
wink.gif

They are not subtle, thats for sure:)

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #578 of 4,569
  They are not subtle, thats for sure:)

You're right but still was a good feeling :)
I started to look for specific songs and roughly this is what I came up with in one hour or so:

Sorceress > Black Sabbath - A National Acrobat
The Wilde Flowers > Black Sabbath - War Pigs
Will O The Wisp > Jethro Tull - Wond'ring Aloud / Dun Ringill
Chrysalis > Deep Purple - Speed King (beginning) / Burn
Sorceress 2 > Black Sabbath - Spiral Architect (beginning and lyricism)
The Seventh Sojourn > Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan

Other vibes troughout the album:
Iron Maiden - Prodigal Son (can't put the finger on exact reason why, but yes...)
Led Zeppelin / No Quarter / Kashmir

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #580 of 4,569
Listened to sorceress again. First time admittedly I was using my hd700 with all my kids in the room. Basically a crap experience. This time using iems by myself.

It is basically a homage to all the influences on their progression as a band. Almost comes across like a final far well to their extreme roots, looking toward their future in progressive Rock. It is experimental; a close and intimate look at all the musical styles they have been experimenting with in more recent years.

I was wrong, the writing is not banal or simple, but rather a homage to the expanding musical influences they must be having to so drastically change their musical style. It is experimental for them, but not super original. I am seeing a glimpse of something interesting here and it will require more spins for sure.

Without a doubt my first impression was off base.

Ha! What you just wrote was my impression of Heritage. Go figure!

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #581 of 4,569
You're right but still was a good feeling :)
I started to look for specific songs and roughly this is what I came up with in one hour or so:

Sorceress > Black Sabbath - A National Acrobat

The Wilde Flowers > Black Sabbath - War Pigs
Will O The Wisp > Jethro Tull - Wond'ring Aloud / Dun Ringill

Chrysalis > Deep Purple - Speed King (beginning) / Burn

Sorceress 2 > Black Sabbath - Spiral Architect (beginning and lyricism)

The Seventh Sojourn > Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan

Other vibes troughout the album:
Iron Maiden - Prodigal Son (can't put the finger on exact reason why, but yes...)
Led Zeppelin / No Quarter / Kashmir

That is exactly my second opinion. A good rock album but not progressive. I had a similar reaction to the the last Riverside album 'Love, Fear and The Time Machine'.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #582 of 4,569
That's how I feel about the fates warning album that gets mentioned here. Recently was me turned again so I gave it another spin. Great Rock album, but not progressive. Want progressive? Check out VDGG's new album.

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #585 of 4,569
  Being intrigued by some of your views on "Sorceress", I gave it a proper listen with lyrics in front of me
side note: genius.com is a great site for lyrics with dynamic side notes - end of side note
smile.gif

I liked it from the beginning, never seemed "boring" to me, but now I love it.
You'll find coherency and purpose if you give it the proper attention. Lyrics and the cover art helps a lot. The Peacock feasting on the dead, expresses the duplicity of evil behind beauty. It's feathers also resonate with exotic motifs of the Middle East, a lot of the tracks combine exotic with bitter and evil, like in a mysterious fairy tale. It's not a concept album in the classic sense but the tracks are definitely linked.
Also some of online reviews and interviews confirmed links with Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull, influences that were clear to me from the first listen. Loving those two bands I can't help but love this album. The album is magical and powerful.
And this is pure poetry: http://genius.com/Opeth-a-fleeting-glance-lyrics

Also I'm beginning to get the production style. Heavy bass and distort help on those specific tracks and mellower tracks are clear and clean. It's not mindless compression.

Does Akerfeldt sing all the songs as with the last 2 records or is there some cookie monster stuff as previous?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back