Prog rock
Sep 17, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #496 of 4,573
Octavision, interesting.
http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/bass-god-victor-wooten-has-a-prog-metal-band-now-and-it-sounds-insane
Reminds me of early Dream Theater just a technical level up and without James Labrie. Hope they will bring vocals in if/when they make a full record.

Another band I don't think I have read about here are Subsignal.

https://youtu.be/t3HajKqggFc

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #498 of 4,573

Dude- I screamed in a loud, embarrassing way when I saw who the bass player is. Immediate goosebumps. He is perhaps the one guy who can challenge Jaco Pastorious as the "greatest bass-player ever".

Victor Wooten playing prog metal?

I am stunned, thrilled, excited, and out of breath.

Holy Cow!!!

:)

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #499 of 4,573
My favorite bass players tend to be the more melodic ones with great groove (I also play bass, among a few other instruments), and t's really hard for bassists to shine in any kind of heavy music when the guitar is dominating. Too often the bassline is just shadowing the guitar and don't get to do anything notable. That's kind of what happens here, until Vic gets to do his thing during that break from 6:27 and on.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #500 of 4,573
My favorite bass players tend to be the more melodic ones with great groove (I also play bass, among a few other instruments), and t's really hard for bassists to shine in any kind of heavy music when the guitar is dominating. Too often the bassline is just shadowing the guitar and don't get to do anything notable. That's kind of what happens here, until Vic gets to do his thing during that break from 6:27 and on.

That's why jazz and jazz-fusion are awesome. Lots if great bassists in those waters. Great music too.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #501 of 4,573
That's why jazz and jazz-fusion are awesome. Lots if great bassists in those waters. Great music too.

Jazz by nature is progressive, and there's an overlap of fans between prog rock and jazz fusion (the hipper younger brother of jazz). I don't know how receptive the prog rock crowd here is towards jazz fusion, but Snarky Puppy is a good example of a current jazz fusion group:

Jazz fusion and prog rock have always had a close tie to each other too, with many musicians with one foot in each and combining them, and the two genres influencing each other. It's considered a sub-genre of prog rock as well as jazz fusion:
http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=30

Here are a couple of examples:

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #502 of 4,573
^--Good post--^. I love jazz, in almost all forms. Modern jazz, jazz-fusion and genuine prog rock are my favourite genres to listen to accounting for about 80% of why goes into my ears.  I find jazz on headfi is hard to find. The dedicated jazz threads seem to focus on more traditional jazz from the 50s, 60s, 70s and the prog thread doesn't seem to touch on it.

Snarky puppy is a great gateway drug both ways. If you love prog, they might encourage you to try more jazz-focused groups. I would also add the Path Methaney Group in that as well, he is absolutely amazing at making music that is hard to define. I would start with his album "The Way Up" - just so uplifting and entrancing!

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #503 of 4,573
Few albums I am really enjoying:

Osta Love - The Isle of Dogs
Advent - Silent Sentinel
iamthemorning - Lighthouse
Mice on Stilts - Hope for a Morning
yndi halda - Under Summer
Astronoid - Air
Slice the Cake - Odyssey to the West
BADBADNOTGOOD - IV
Debo Band - Debo Band (more jazzy)
Vijay Iyer - Mutations (jazzy/proggy/experimental/????)
Anderson, Stolt - Invention of Knowledge
Tim Bowness - Abandoned Dancehall Dreams
Snarky Puppy - Culcha Vulcha
Rick Drumm & Fatty Necroses - Return from the Unknown (more jazzy I guess)
The Pineapple Thief - Your Wilderness (beautiful album)
Karmakanic  - DOT (not getting great reviews but I think it is excellent)
We Are Kin - ...And I Know
Soil & 'Pimp' Sessions - Brothers & Sisters (what a name, right?)
Phronesis - Parallax (jazz-fusion)
Jizue - Story (jazz-fusion?)

So much good stuff, but I better stop there. If anyone enjoys any of the above, I would love to get more recommends.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #504 of 4,573

I think this time the compression is his trademark "wall of sound" presentation that he wants to achieve.
Everything is loud in his music, every bit of space is filled. It gets tiring after a while and I don't like it either... Sometimes I have to stop before the end of an album because it is too much.
But man, his vocals... his vocals are just gorgeous.

It doesn't really bother me, because I think what Devin does with compression is within the limits of what good compression is meant to do for heavier music, and he has enough good judgment to never go beyond that limit of good taste before things go to ****. He's done plenty of much softer music (even ambient and country!) during his career so it's not as if he doesn't know the difference, which means it's an artistic choice when he does go heavy on the compression. For the wall-of-sound effect there's really no better alternative. But if you don't like that sound then yeah, it can get tiring after a song or two. 

I've been keeping up with his latest updates on his Youtube channel, where he shares his life on the road during the tour and during the making of the new album. The dude lives a very healthy lifestyle and the rest of the band does too--they eat healthy, exercise, and seem like a bunch of nice guys. None of that rockstar macho posturing and ridiculous hedonistic ******** that I hate. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #505 of 4,573
  ^--Good post--^. I love jazz, in almost all forms. Modern jazz, jazz-fusion and genuine prog rock are my favourite genres to listen to accounting for about 80% of why goes into my ears.  I find jazz on headfi is hard to find. The dedicated jazz threads seem to focus on more traditional jazz from the 50s, 60s, 70s and the prog thread doesn't seem to touch on it.

Snarky puppy is a great gateway drug both ways. If you love prog, they might encourage you to try more jazz-focused groups. I would also add the Path Methaney Group in that as well, he is absolutely amazing at making music that is hard to define. I would start with his album "The Way Up" - just so uplifting and entrancing!

I'm a fan of Pat as well. Not only do I like his music, I also love what he said about Kenny G: 
http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

If you hate Kenny G, then you must read that, and then we can high-five each other. :D

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #506 of 4,573
Oh man, thanks so much for sharing that article! Totally sums of my feelings about KG:

"
Not long ago, Kenny G put out a recording where he overdubbed himself on top of a 30+ year old Louis Armstrong record, the track "What a Wonderful World". With this single move, Kenny G became one of the few people on earth I can say that I really can't use at all - as a man, for his incredible arrogance to even consider such a thing, and as a musician, for presuming to share the stage with the single most important figure in our music.

But when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-***, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, ****** up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, **** all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician. By disrespecting Louis, his legacy and by default, everyone who has ever tried to do something positive with improvised music and what it can be, Kenny G has created a new low point in modern culture - something that we all should be totally embarrassed about - and afraid of. We ignore this, "let it slide", at our own peril."

Word.

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #507 of 4,573
  It doesn't really bother me, because I think what Devin does with compression is within the limits of what good compression is meant to do for heavier music, and he has enough good judgment to never go beyond that limit of good taste before things go to ****. He's done plenty of much softer music (even ambient and country!) during his career so it's not as if he doesn't know the difference, which means it's an artistic choice when he does go heavy on the compression. For the wall-of-sound effect there's really no better alternative. But if you don't like that sound then yeah, it can get tiring after a song or two. 

I've been keeping up with his latest updates on his Youtube channel, where he shares his life on the road during the tour and during the making of the new album. The dude lives a very healthy lifestyle and the rest of the band does too--they eat healthy, exercise, and seem like a bunch of nice guys. None of that rockstar macho posturing and ridiculous hedonistic ******** that I hate. 

I like Devin - don't get me wrong - but only in small doses, because his music is so intense and concentrated, it's like a ristretto :)

Also there is a point I wanted to touch for a long time in this thread:
Sometimes great music can do harm, and you have to put it away for a while... At least this is true in my case. For example I like a lot bands like Opeth (early too but mostly later albums), Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Leprous. Musically and technically they are outstanding. But they are soo depressing, and sometimes live me with such a bad state of mind, that I have to put them away, although I like what I hear A LOT. It is such a contradictory and weird feeling I get, that at a certain point I have to stop. It really is like a drug. For me this started with Marillion (Fish period), back in the day, I liked that music so much but at some point I had to stop listening to it, and I never played those albums again for a very long time.

Sometimes I'm on a quest of finding good music that is not depressing, and you know what? It's so god damn hard! It is hard to find good music that isn't depressing :) Even Dark Side Of The Moon is fckin' depressing. Every time I listen to "Time" I get depressed.
I absolutely love Genesis with Peter Gabriel - Nursery Crime, Foxtrot, Selling England... albums. But that feeling that I'm left with after... I have to compensate with some Prodigy or Rammstein or Iron Maiden.

What you posted above : Octavision and Snarky Puppy are indeed excellent and NOT depressing! Maybe fusion is the answer :)
Apart for the red Audio Technicas that they wear, which I hate :))

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #508 of 4,573
Few albums I am really enjoying:

Osta Love - The Isle of Dogs
Advent - Silent Sentinel
iamthemorning - Lighthouse
Mice on Stilts - Hope for a Morning
yndi halda - Under Summer
Astronoid - Air
Slice the Cake - Odyssey to the West
BADBADNOTGOOD - IV
Debo Band - Debo Band (more jazzy)
Vijay Iyer - Mutations (jazzy/proggy/experimental/????)
Anderson, Stolt - Invention of Knowledge
Tim Bowness - Abandoned Dancehall Dreams
Snarky Puppy - Culcha Vulcha
Rick Drumm & Fatty Necroses - Return from the Unknown (more jazzy I guess)
The Pineapple Thief - Your Wilderness (beautiful album)
Karmakanic  - DOT (not getting great reviews but I think it is excellent)
We Are Kin - ...And I Know
Soil & 'Pimp' Sessions - Brothers & Sisters (what a name, right?)
Phronesis - Parallax (jazz-fusion)
Jizue - Story (jazz-fusion?)

So much good stuff, but I better stop there. If anyone enjoys any of the above, I would love to get more recommends.

Thank you for the recommendations but good news Karmakanic's DOT is getting great reviews on progarchives.com. DOT is currently 4th on the top 100 of the year.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #509 of 4,573
I find it staggering SW blew off PT, the band that began his career. His solo stuff if good, but it's not Porcupine Tree. Well maybe someday, but the other members didn't hang up their guitars and drums. One thing I will say that if PT started in the early 70's, they'd be right up there with Yes, ELP, King Crimson, and Van Der Graff Generator, just to name a few.  

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #510 of 4,573
I find it staggering SW blew off PT, the band that began his career. His solo stuff if good, but it's not Porcupine Tree. Well maybe someday, but the other members didn't hang up their guitars and drums. One thing I will say that if PT started in the early 70's, they'd be right up there with Yes, ELP, King Crimson, and Van Der Graff Generator, just to name a few.  

I completely agree but I am afraid the Tree is dead. Like post Hackett Genesis, Steven Wilson is far more successful as a solo artist that with PT. In a recent interview he said Hand, Cannot Erase was by far his most successful album so my guess is that is the direction he will take.

But lke Genesis, I cannot be angry as he may have sold out to a more pop sound but my God did he leave behind some brilliant music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back