Prog rock
Jan 4, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #227 of 4,464
Gazpacho - Molok us great, surprised more around here don't talk about it or demon which is even better. Demon is one of my favourite albums.

Tick Tock has always been my favourite. I haven't heard those others,I'll check them out

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #228 of 4,464
No problem, but this is my view on what prog is if you take the meaning literally. On the other hand I like vintage prog like Anglagard and Anekdoten with lots a mellotron

Fair enough...too chaotic for me.
I like AngLagard too, but have to be in the mood for it.

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #230 of 4,464
No problem, but this is my view on what prog is if you take the meaning literally. On the other hand I like vintage prog like Anglagard and Anekdoten with lots a mellotron

Anglagard are good (Genesis?)

Early King Crimson are Kings of the Mellotron (Cadence & Cascade a favourite) and the... Moody Blues of course?!?

It's a great, haunting sound.

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #231 of 4,464

My goodness, thank you SO MUCH for mentioning Anekdoten. I have never heard of them and I just have been listening to their Until All the Ghosts are Gone all day. This is some of the most emotional and beautiful rock music I have ever heard. Just absolutely stunning! I have never heard a band compose music that slams you and pounds you with a complex wall of sound one minute, and then softy caress you with beautifully emotional and evocative portions the next - and it all flows together as a perfectly cohesive composition. Bravo!

Now to get all their other albums and check out Anglagard.

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #232 of 4,464
My goodness, thank you SO MUCH for mentioning Anekdoten. I have never heard of them and I just have been listening to their Until All the Ghosts are Gone all day. This is some of the most emotional and beautiful rock music I have ever heard. Just absolutely stunning! I have never heard a band compose music that slams you and pounds you with a complex wall of sound one minute, and then softy caress you with beautifully emotional and evocative portions the next - and it all flows together as a perfectly cohesive composition. Bravo!

Now to get all their other albums and check out Anglagard.
The earliest Anekdoten are the loudest, comparable to King Crimson's famous "Red" album. From Anglagard only the live album can be downloaded, but all are at least exellent:wink:

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #234 of 4,464
Jan 5, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #235 of 4,464
My favorite progressive rock groups are:

Can (you say, "Stockhausen"?
biggrin.gif
), Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Mike Oldfield, Gong, Eloy, King Crimson, Caravan, and Faust.

Does "The Sound of Animals Fighting" count as "prog rock"?

All mentioned are great stuff but can you listen to Trout Mask Replica all the way through on one sitting ? A feat I've never quite managed.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #236 of 4,464
I am sure most of you lads will be familiar with the whole Canterbury Scene thing, being gentlemen of impeccable taste.

If for some reason you aren't then you really need to give it a try. Possibly the oddest, most entertaining and certainly the groooooviest of Progressive Rock

Obviously you need to start with the sub genre's greatest exponents Hatfield and the North (sadly two albums only).

Add a copious amount of Caravan ('nine feet underground' being canterburys's crowning glory), A dash of pre-jazz Soft Machine and Gong, a generous helping of National Health and Khan. A serving of Egg (poached or fried according to taste). A soupçon of Robery Wyatt and his Matching Mole. A Leg End of Henry Cow and some Camel..Add a dash of Steve Hillage, Kevin Ayers and maybe a twist of Gilgamesh.

And that's just the starters !

Fire up the amp, don the headphones (preferably big Beyers) sit back and be amazed and transported to another time and planet.

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #237 of 4,464
Never heard of tick tock,ill check it out tonight. Maybe I get a new fav:)

It was the story that originally hooked me in

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #238 of 4,464
  I am sure most of you lads will be familiar with the whole Canterbury Scene thing, being gentlemen of impeccable taste.

You mean something like this? :wink:

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #239 of 4,464

Or ...

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #240 of 4,464
You mean something like this? :wink:

That's it. Land of Grey and Pink
But it's the side long last piece; Nine feet... A masterpiece that really sets the tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back