Professional wardrobe advice
Apr 15, 2009 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sisenor

500+ Head-Fier
I'm a college student and I've never had a "real" job. I really don't have any business dress or business casual clothing. I mean the most dressy clothes I have are a couple polo shirts
smily_headphones1.gif

What's a good "beginner" wardrobe, so I'm not embarrasing myself by wearing the same slacks every other day or something? I obviously would like to develop a nice wardrobe over time but there's gotta be like x number of shirts to have and x number of slacks, etc., that is standard advice, right?

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 15
Business dress. I have around ten dress shirts, 5 or 6 nice ties, some well looked after dress shoes (polished every week when they are in use), 3 black dress paints and two navy blue dress paints with corresponding jackets. That bieng said if your just a college student (as in you don't work in an office, etc) you don't really need to where such clothing.

As for casual cloathing I have a big pile of clean clothes in one basket, and anothere basket for dirty clothes. Once the dirty clothes basket is full its time to do some washing. My system is very technical isn't it.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Business dress. I have around ten dress shirts, 5 or 6 nice ties, some well looked after dress shoes (polished every week when they are in use), 3 black dress paints and two navy blue dress paints with corresponding jackets. That bieng said if your just a college student (as in you don't work in an office, etc) you don't really need to where such clothing.

As for casual cloathing I have a big pile of clean clothes in one basket, and anothere basket for dirty clothes. Once the dirty clothes basket is full its time to do some washing. My system is very technical isn't it.

Oh..haha, I guess I should have mentioned that I'm gearing up for a internship--and subsequent job.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 15
Stick to the classics and don't be afraid to buy used. eBay and thrift stores in wealthy areas are your friends. If you're embarrassed, then buy anyway and don't tell anyone. You can pick up thousands of dollars of clothes for a couple hundred. Stay with the classics because they don't go out of fashion. Plain white shirts will always be around. Also, you won't be ashamed to show photos of yourself to your children in 2029.

Pick up an iron and ironing board. Ironing isn't difficult and you'll knock it off fast once you get used to it.

For basic wear, pick up plain white, collared, long sleeved dress shirts. Don't bother with crests, monograms, or decoration, just get plain white shirts. They go with everything and have been appropriate for decades.

Speaking of logos, I avoid them as much as possible. I'll even take tags off clothing. You can cut the stitching with a knife, then pull out the threads with tweezers. Rubbing the cloth will cause the holes to disappear. If you look at the very top end of clothing, you'll notice few, if any, logos. If there are any, they're tiny. So if you get chinos from Target (or wherever) take the tags off for an instant upgrade.

If you want to get a few more shirts, a few plain blue ones are good. Maybe even a conservative blue and white striped one. Don't go for anything loud or trendy. Avoid weird collars.

For pants, you need at least a few pairs of khaki chinos. Get plain fronted (no pleats) and a straight leg is a safe bet. Get a slim cut if you can pull it off. 100% cotton is best. Buy a little too long and find a tailor to take them up just right for you. It's not expensive and it's worth it. You'll look better, and even a pair of $20 pants will look good if they're the right length. You can also DIY this if you have access to a sewing machine and do your homework on alterations.

For dress pants, again, go conservative. Wool is best and look for dark browns, blues, greys, and black. Tan is good, too. Avoid patterns and pleats.

Pick up at least two belts, one brown and one black. Wear one that matches your shoes. Get the simplest, plainest belts available with the plainest buckles. Get full grain leather, if possible. Split grain doesn't hold up.

Get two good pairs of shoes, one brown and the other black. The safest bet is a plain toed Oxford. Captoes and wingtips are OK, too. Leather soled shoes are best. They hold up for years and you can have them resoled for a lifetime. I've had one pair of black wingtips for 18 years - they've been resoled and still look great. Shoes are expensive, but cheap on eBay. My trick is to measure a shoe that fits well and then buy a shoe with the same dimensions on eBay. It's worked every time. Some good brands to look for used are Alden, vintage Florsheim (the new stuff isn't as good), Brooks Bros., Barker, Cheaney, Loake, Peal, Edward Green, Church's, Lobb, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. For more casual shoes, a pair of tan suede bucks always look good, as does a pair of classic boat shoes, like those from Bass or Sperry.

For suits, pick plain, basic ones in navy or charcoal. I like Brooks Bros. and Hickey Freeman suits. Both are classic American and are well made. Don't get double breasted unless you're over 6' tall. Single breasted, two button jackets, without shoulder pads and a single vent are classic and look good on everyone. If you go for used, don't worry about a perfect fit. You can always buy a little big and have it tailored.

Get a wool topcoat (plain and dark colors) if you live somewhere cold. A tan, plain trenchcoat is good, too.

If you need ties, get conservative silk ones with stripes or small patterns. Learn to tie a proper Windsor (full or half) instead of the four-in-hand. A Windsor looks better and shows you take the tie seriously.

If you shop sales and hunt used clothes, you should be able to put together the basics on the cheap. Don't be afraid of the tailor, either. If you get conservative, well made, used clothes, then have them taken to your size, you'll look great and everyone will think you spent a fortune. Get to know your tailor, as well, and ask for advice on what you should buy and where. Don't think you need to stand out from everyone, either. A plain white shirt and a pair of tan chinos is totally classic and you'll look great now or ten years from now.

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need ties, get conservative silk ones with stripes or small patterns. Learn to tie a proper Windsor (full or half) instead of the four-in-hand. A Windsor looks better and shows you take the tie seriously.

Yep, the windsor knot is a must (both half or full). I personally prefer the half for whatever reason but niether are really hard to do.

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stick to the classics and don't be afraid to buy used. eBay and thrift stores in wealthy areas are your friends. If you're embarrassed, then buy anyway and don't tell anyone. You can pick up thousands of dollars of clothes for a couple hundred. Stay with the classics because they don't go out of fashion. Plain white shirts will always be around. Also, you won't be ashamed to show photos of yourself to your children in 2029.

Pick up an iron and ironing board. Ironing isn't difficult and you'll knock it off fast once you get used to it.

For basic wear, pick up plain white, collared, long sleeved dress shirts. Don't bother with crests, monograms, or decoration, just get plain white shirts. They go with everything and have been appropriate for decades.

Speaking of logos, I avoid them as much as possible. I'll even take tags off clothing. You can cut the stitching with a knife, then pull out the threads with tweezers. Rubbing the cloth will cause the holes to disappear. If you look at the very top end of clothing, you'll notice few, if any, logos. If there are any, they're tiny. So if you get chinos from Target (or wherever) take the tags off for an instant upgrade.

If you want to get a few more shirts, a few plain blue ones are good. Maybe even a conservative blue and white striped one. Don't go for anything loud or trendy. Avoid weird collars.

For pants, you need at least a few pairs of khaki chinos. Get plain fronted (no pleats) and a straight leg is a safe bet. Get a slim cut if you can pull it off. 100% cotton is best. Buy a little too long and find a tailor to take them up just right for you. It's not expensive and it's worth it. You'll look better, and even a pair of $20 pants will look good if they're the right length. You can also DIY this if you have access to a sewing machine and do your homework on alterations.

For dress pants, again, go conservative. Wool is best and look for dark browns, blues, greys, and black. Tan is good, too. Avoid patterns and pleats.

Pick up at least two belts, one brown and one black. Wear one that matches your shoes. Get the simplest, plainest belts available with the plainest buckles. Get full grain leather, if possible. Split grain doesn't hold up.

Get two good pairs of shoes, one brown and the other black. The safest bet is a plain toed Oxford. Captoes and wingtips are OK, too. Leather soled shoes are best. They hold up for years and you can have them resoled for a lifetime. I've had one pair of black wingtips for 18 years - they've been resoled and still look great. Shoes are expensive, but cheap on eBay. My trick is to measure a shoe that fits well and then buy a shoe with the same dimensions on eBay. It's worked every time. Some good brands to look for used are Alden, vintage Florsheim (the new stuff isn't as good), Brooks Bros., Barker, Cheaney, Loake, Peal, Edward Green, Church's, Lobb, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. For more casual shoes, a pair of tan suede bucks always look good, as does a pair of classic boat shoes, like those from Bass or Sperry.

For suits, pick plain, basic ones in navy or charcoal. I like Brooks Bros. and Hickey Freeman suits. Both are classic American and are well made. Don't get double breasted unless you're over 6' tall. Single breasted, two button jackets, without shoulder pads and a single vent are classic and look good on everyone. If you go for used, don't worry about a perfect fit. You can always buy a little big and have it tailored.

Get a wool topcoat (plain and dark colors) if you live somewhere cold. A tan, plain trenchcoat is good, too.

If you shop sales and hunt used clothes, you should be able to put together the basics on the cheap. Don't be afraid of the tailor, either. If you get conservative, well made, used clothes, then have them taken to your size, you'll look great and everyone will think you spent a fortune. Get to know your tailor, as well, and ask for advice on what you should buy and where. Don't think you need to stand out from everyone, either. A plain white shirt and a pair of tan chinos is totally classic and you'll look great now or ten years from now.

wooo....this is actually very useful....thanks! Too bad I am running out of time to get some cheap cloths/shoes for my summer internship. Arrg..Brooks at retail is such a money sucker
frown.gif
I fully blame head-fi for my lack of time and lack of desire to spend any money on cloths.
darthsmile.gif

I do get my ties and cuff links from ebay though..so all is not lost....those suckers can cost a fortune.

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 15
My advice (one of the best pieces yet from my teacher training) is to buy a couple of very plain, very lightweight, v-neck jumpers. These can be worn over a shirt and tie of appropriate smartness, on a day where you don't need to be quite so smart.

This has the dual purpose of (a) meaning that you don't have to worry quite so much about your shirt being ironed to a pristine standard, and (b) if you are quite active during your day, and your shirt becomes un-tucked, this is nicely hidden by the jumper.

Otherwise, I'd agree entirely with Uncle Erik on everything other than shoes. Maybe because I'm on my feet all day at work, but the idea of having even slightly problematic fitting shoes fills me with horror. I'd always think it worth the money to get shoes fitted in person, so you know you're not going to have a problem. I suppose once you have one solid dependable pair (and you're not going to work barefoot!), however, you can look at a second pair using Erik's method.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I should have mentioned that I'm gearing up for a internship--and subsequent job.

You don't mention what kind of job, business, or industry.

While Uncle Erik's advice is a great general rule of thumb, there are many variables to which you should be sensitive. Particularly what the standard of dress is for the company & industry in which you will be working. Most offices now are business casual (chinos/Dockers + shirt, no tie), but some jobs dictate being on either side of that middle ground.

When in doubt, go conservative. Dress a notch above your co-workers & peers, but not above your boss. You don't want to alienate them, or thinking they pay you too much
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While Uncle Erik's advice is a great general rule of thumb, there are many variables to which you should be sensitive. Particularly what the standard of dress is for the company & industry in which you will be working. Most offices now are business casual (chinos/Dockers + shirt, no tie), but some jobs dictate being on either side of that middle ground.

When in doubt, go conservative. Dress a notch above your co-workers & peers, but not above your boss. You don't want to alienate them, or thinking they pay you too much
wink.gif

Yep. It really depends on where you work.

Here (major defense company), the dress code standard is pretty lax. For engineers, it's fine long as you show up in something dressier than a t-shirt, flannel pants, and sandals. Technicians can dress to an even lower standard.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a t-shirt, flannel pants, and sandals. Technicians can dress to an even lower standard.

Can it actually go lower than flannel pants? Seriously, I guess the only thing less tasteful would be those Van Halen pants musclebound people seem to wear when they go to the gym (elastic waistband, baggy, tapered at ankles, and always an obnoxious color and printed design). And thankfully I haven't seen any "technician" dressed in those.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

wink.gif

Quite true...

When I was interviewing for the job I have right now, I was one of only 2 guys who came prepped out in a full suit, shirtsleeves and tie. The rest of the 20 or so applicants came dressed in jeans with belts and long-sleeve button down shirts that were a bit thicker than dressier shirts. The job was for a position as a field engineer, and seeing as the interviewer came dressed exactly the same way, it probably made more sense than the suit.

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

wink.gif

Accounting

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 15
Definitely go for the classics then. Subtlety is your friend...

"When in doubt, go conservative. Dress a notch above your co-workers & peers, but not above your boss. You don't want to alienate them, or thinking they pay you too much ." ...this is very good advice.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #15 of 15
To avoid looking like a complete corporate tool, I get all my button up shirts at Pac Sun or Zoomies. They still have collars and buttons but a lot more style, you wind up looking a lot more "fresh". For slacks, I have no idea, I bought some at Kohls. They cover my legs and dangly bits so I guess they work. >shrug<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back